Elite Partner's "hidden" perks at HKG

Old Apr 15, 16, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Elite Partner's "hidden" perks at HKG

Well, I was somewhat surprised by what was "possible" with the Elite Partner card at Hong Kong International Airport, when it comes to lounge access.

I guess it's an unintended "side effect" of having the actual Elite and Elite Partner card design so similar, only difference being the lack of the chip (for NZ based cards having OneSmart function), and lack of "Gold" wording under the Star Alliance logo on the bottom right (as Elite Partners are not *G).

For context: I'm the Elite, and my Dad's the nominated Elite Partner

Last month when me and my parents depart for Europe at HKG, with Mum & Dad flying Lufthansa (to Germany) and myself on Swiss (to Switzerland), I thought to give SG SilverKris lounge a try to see if they can let 1 more in, failing that just sending my parents inside with me heading off to the Plaza Premium lounge (which LX sends HVCs to and I was given a physical lounge invitation that night).

Lounge dragons greeted us warmly, we handed over all 3 boarding passes, along with the Elite (*G) and Elite Partner (*Pleb) cards. 30 seconds later, we were all let inside, no questions asked. Even I was surprised by that, as were my parents (I explained to them prior what the rules were and set the expectations of probably not able to enter altogether).

Fast forward to 2 weeks later, and I'm on my flight back home (AKL).

Interesting observation: the outsourced (Swire?) ground crew at Premium check-in counter told me to use the TG lounge as "that's the designated AirNZ lounge to use in Hong Kong", with no mention of any other options.

Knowing better, I walked over to CX "The Wing". Was first greeted by a nice lady who stopped smiling when she saw my NZ Elite card, saying "you should go to a Star Alliance lounge" before a colleague at the desk said "hang on a minute" and pulled out "The Rule Book", flipped to a page which has "Gold" "Gold Elite" listed (but no pictures/illustrations), stamped my boarding pass and let me in. Also visited "The Bridge" as well later on as it's closer to the gate being used for the night.

Personal opinion: Go to "The Bridge". The food spread is much better and even less crowded than "The Wing", at least for J. I am just so disappointed with "The Wing" this time round, CX cost-cutting as of late really shows...

OK, so where am I going with this? Tonight my parents are flying back from HKG, so I told them to give CX's J lounges a try as any of them would be better than TG's HKG offering (which is where Elite Partner get sent to), never hurt to try/ask right?

Well, they were stamped and let into "The Cabin" tonight, no questions asked, and even commented that the food spread is better than the new NZ AKL International lounge.

So in conclusion, Elite Partner was treated like *G and also able to access CX J lounges due to the CX/NZ alliance.

Anyone else have a similar experience at HKG, or even other ports being an Elite Partner? I am curious to know.
Old Apr 15, 16, 1:56 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Gold, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by Kamadan View Post

I guess it's an unintended "side effect" of having the actual Elite and Elite Partner card design so similar, only difference being the lack of the chip (for NZ based cards having OneSmart function), and lack of "Gold" wording under the Star Alliance logo on the bottom right (as Elite Partners are not *G).

It's all in the "GOLD" print or lack of it.
Old Apr 15, 16, 6:18 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I wonder if anybody has managed a status match off an Elite partner card?
Old Apr 16, 16, 9:04 am

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
Where was this suggestion when I needed it?! Some years back a friend kindly made me Elite Partner...

It'd be interesting to see what would happen, but I'd like to think there was better data checking between alliance members.
Old Apr 16, 16, 12:47 pm

Programs: Koru/*S, GHA Gold
Status matches are normally done between different alliances so I doubt there is too much in the way of information sharing between them.
Old Apr 16, 16, 1:48 pm

The only problem being the last few I've seen have wanted an account screenshot as well as a card image. You'll need to work on your Photoshop skills.
Old Apr 17, 16, 1:24 pm

Programs: NZ *G, Qantas Gold
I know of an Elite Partner that was able to status match to the Qantas program match offered last year!

No questions asked and no Photoshop required
Old Apr 17, 16, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by youai779 View Post
I know of an Elite Partner that was able to status match to the Qantas program match offered last year!

No questions asked and no Photoshop required
Qantas were seemingly matching people no questions asked - I have friends who got matched to QF Gold from Avianca Gold which is actually only *S
Old Apr 17, 16, 3:18 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
what is the email to status match?

Normally I would rather not transit via HK and prefer Singapore
Old Apr 17, 16, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by dadig View Post
what is the email to status match?

It was a promotion done for NZ customers early last year for around 3 days. It's never been done again and unlikely to ever happen again so I've heard.
Old Apr 17, 16, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by dadig View Post
Normally I would rather not transit via HK and prefer Singapore
If you're Elite Partner, you actually get treated better than NZ Gold/*G anyways, being able to use the SilverKris lounge (*real* J lounge) like actual NZ Elites and SQ PPS, instead of the subpar KrisFlyer Gold lounge which lacks toilets inside even!
Old Apr 17, 16, 5:14 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
In my experience all lounges in Asia are sub par except a few like SilverKris, lounge access in this region seem to be the norm than the exception
Old Apr 17, 16, 8:08 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, Koru Life, QF Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Le Club Accor Plat, Carlson Gold
I managed to get a status match for my Elite Partner during the Qantas promotion last year.. not sure if that really counts or not
Old May 8, 16, 12:25 am

I'm off to Beijing next month so have a few hours in HKG on the way back before NZ80 so was thinking of a bit of a lounge crawl with my mate since we have time.

Does anybody know what lounge the "Cathay Business Class lounge" that Air NZ refer to (http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/co-op...cathay-pacific), is this The Wing or The Bridge? I'm assuming both CX lounges also allowed a guest with no issues?

Having just read a few things online everybody seems to think The Wing is superior to The Bridge so it's interesting to read comments suggesting otherwise.

I'll see if we can fit UA, TG, SQ and both CX lounges in.
Old May 8, 16, 7:09 am

Does anybody know what lounge the "Cathay Business Class lounge" that Air NZ refer to (http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/co-op...cathay-pacific), is this The Wing or The Bridge? I'm assuming both CX lounges also allowed a guest with no issues?

Having just read a few things online everybody seems to think The Wing is superior to The Bridge so it's interesting to read comments suggesting otherwise.

I'll see if we can fit UA, TG, SQ and both CX lounges in.
Cathay has multiple business class lounges. In fact, all the lounges except The Pier are either business class (The Cabin, The Bridge) or have business-class side (The Wing).

The Wing has a first-class side which has very nice cabanas. But The Wing business-class side has a noodle bar, which has pretty decent cooked-to-order noodles.
The Bridge has a better buffet selection.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: