Elite Partner's "hidden" perks at HKG

Old May 8, 16, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
I'm off to Beijing next month so have a few hours in HKG on the way back before NZ80 so was thinking of a bit of a lounge crawl with my mate since we have time.

Does anybody know what lounge the "Cathay Business Class lounge" that Air NZ refer to (http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/co-op...cathay-pacific), is this The Wing or The Bridge? I'm assuming both CX lounges also allowed a guest with no issues?

Having just read a few things online everybody seems to think The Wing is superior to The Bridge so it's interesting to read comments suggesting otherwise.

I'll see if we can fit UA, TG, SQ and both CX lounges in.

As mentioned before, there are no less than 5 CX J lounges at HKG:
- The Wing J
- The Bridge
- The Cabin
- G16
- The Pier J (currently closed for renovations)

Also note that CX is currently undergoing a management swap for their lounges, going from Peninsula to Priority Pass Group and so far it's not been smooth, however it's expected they should "sort their sh*t out" real soon.

I've been to all apart from G16. As NZ HVC (Elite/Gold) travelling on NZ coded HKG-AKL flight, you will be eligible for access to ALL of them +1 guest with no issues (again as I have done in the past). They will put a stamp on the boarding pass upon first entry into a CX lounge, so subsequent (re)entries to any of the CX lounges will not need to be processed/scanned again.

Personally I think The Wing J is a bit overrated and the service (even before the management swap) has been declining in the past 4 times I went through HKG.
Out of all the CX J lounges, would say The Bridge is the best in terms of food spread/lack of a crowd.

In fact I would happily just sit in the SQ SilverKris lounge these days... service is miles better than CX in my opinion, plus I love their made-to-order Laksa and their Singapore Sling.

In terms of doing a lounge hop, the suggested flow would be:
Either SQ SilverKris/CX The Wing J (right after clearing immigration) -> CX The Cabin (mid-way to the end of main terminal) -> CX The Bridge (just at the "Y" junction at end of main terminal) -> TG (or UA if you REALLY want to) (slight left side of the "Y" junction)
Old May 9, 16, 12:51 am

There's no reason to go to G16. I went there just cause I hadn't gone there.
Old May 9, 16, 1:40 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Thanks for the comments. I'm really just keen to have a bit of a look around all of them since it's rare to get so many lounges in a single airport.
Old May 9, 16, 2:01 am
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
There's no reason to go to G16. I went there just cause I hadn't gone there.
There is one reason - it remains open later at night than the other CX lounges (and TG, UA, SQ, etc). I have had late flights on OZ when this is the only available open lounge (it is a contract lounge for OZ).

Otherwise I agree - it is the worst HKG lounge I've been to (having used most of them), and is not conveniently located (most of the time).
Old May 9, 16, 3:48 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Silver, QF Bronze, AF Ivory, IHG Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Kamadan View Post
In terms of doing a lounge hop, the suggested flow would be:
Either SQ SilverKris/CX The Wing J (right after clearing immigration) -> CX The Cabin (mid-way to the end of main terminal) -> CX The Bridge (just at the "Y" junction at end of main terminal) -> TG (or UA if you REALLY want to) (slight left side of the "Y" junction)
^^

If time is an issue, I'd go to the Bridge, which is in two halves. As you enter, the left hand side has showers, a buffet and a barista, with a small selection of cakes/biscuits, on the right hand side is another buffet, with a bakery/pizza oven and a tended bar. It is the best CX C Class lounge, but the Cabin is worth a visit for the juice bar and salad bar if you're health conscious. I agree the Wing in C Class is underwhelming. The Noodle Bar is the best feature, but only because the other food/drink choices are poor (well below NZ international lounges). Given the Bridge is not far from the UA/TG lounges and NZ departures are typically around that area, it would be my choice.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: