Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air NZ Reservations Restricted to Booking Certain AC flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air NZ Reservations Restricted to Booking Certain AC flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2016, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Question Air NZ Reservations Restricted to Booking Certain AC flights?

I just spent an hour on the phone with a patient agent at the Air NZ Contact Centre trying to book a complex open jaw itinerary from Canada to New Zealand. I selected my flights on ITA Matrix and fed them to the agent but she said she was restricted to booking only certain Air Canada flights because of an agreement between the two airlines. Specifically she said the agreement did not allow them to book my preferred flight AC472 YYZ-YOW (00:30 departure) except on Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays; she said I could spend the night in Toronto and fly on AC444 (09:10 departure) instead. Her GDS would not show her the 07:10 or 08:10 departures either. I confirmed that all flights had availability and were within the MCT. There were similar restrictions on the YYZ-YVR portion were only certain AC flights were available.

Is this how two Star Alliance partners treat each other? Seems that even in the internet era I need a knowledgeable, Canadian-based travel agent to sort this out.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Probably because NZ has an agreement with AC, that is below the market cost for the seat and they have only purchased this access on certain flights/days.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
NZ is known for making things as difficult as possible for partner flights. I am not sure about the point of these endless restrictions for an airline that they are supposed to call partner.

I recently tried to book a flight to Lima and found that not only NZ have removed Star partner connections they have limited to AR in Economy only even if you book a Business fare. You would think that AR being their high profile South American partner they would make it easier for connections. But sadly no. Even worse, no Airpoints accrual apart from Rio and Sao Paulo. In the end I booked VA to LAX instead. Would really like to try their new EZE service but wasn't meant to be.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:05 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 100K
I've encountered this many times with UA flights. In fact, I've been given a nice 9 hour layover in LAX next month because NZ couldn't put me on a later HNL-LAX flight.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:11 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Try expedia.ca?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:57 am

Programs: Air NZ Gold
Yes this is silly. I'm having the same issue with Air NZ reps booking UA domestic connections. Limited options due to "scheduling" according to Air NZ.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Glad to know that I am not alone and that it wasn't a bad agent. How frustrating!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.