New routes to be announced?

Old Nov 6, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: NZ*E, Accor Gold, PGR Black
A Regional big possibility is CBR no one services this route to NZ but the logical destination is WLG - otherwise Longhaul will most likely be with a codeshare with local carrier - Thai, Air India and Asiana etc... MNL and Vietnam are always possibilities but the local alliance is more complex. Interesting times ahead.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 3:51 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Biz_Traveller
A Regional big possibility is CBR no one services this route to NZ but the logical destination is WLG - otherwise Longhaul will most likely be with a codeshare with local carrier - Thai, Air India and Asiana etc... MNL and Vietnam are always possibilities but the local alliance is more complex. Interesting times ahead.
I say ORD and MNL.
ORD speculated before with Luxon around the time of IAH.
MNL has been worked on, the air services agreement has also been changed between the countries. I think it may even be going to 767 not a 787 to start with.
CBR-WLG why is this logical? There really is not that much traffic from WLG to CBR, most agencies that I know talk to their state counterparts rather than the commonwealth, of course there are some like defence that do.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
MNL seems less likely to me. There is demand from the local Filipino community, but at the low end in terms of fares, and with PR launching MNL-CNS-AKL soon I think they will mop up a lot of that market. The rest is pretty well served over HKG , admittedly with a bit of a backtrack.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
CAN is also a possibility - compete head on with CZ...
Old Nov 6, 2015, 7:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
CAN is also a possibility - compete head on with CZ...
Zero chance of that. CZ does not get much yield from the route. NZ can't and won't compete.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 11:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Why would NZ fly to IAH and ORD?
Because there are ~6 million people at ORD and another ~3.5 million within 45 minutes connection time, and it has far better connections into Europe than IAH ever will?
Old Nov 6, 2015, 11:27 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Taiwan?
Old Nov 7, 2015, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by Lpmnz
I had a few beers with a pilot on air nz 789 recently and he mentioned Vietnam and Manila were being investigated.
A reliable friend also suggested Vietnam and Manila.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 12:42 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Because there are ~6 million people at ORD and another ~3.5 million within 45 minutes connection time, and it has far better connections into Europe than IAH ever will?
Europe is a non-issue given how many Asian (and Middle East) partners Air NZ has.

ORD (and some of its catchment) is already only 1 stop to AKL with several routing options.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 2:09 am

Programs: QF Gold, NZ *G, TK Elite *G
ORD would cannibalise the (not even started yet) IAH route. Maybe in a few years if NZ-US traffic continues to grow and once IAH has matured and increased to daily.

Cant see DEL either. Would be an ULH route at 15/16 hours. traffic from NZ to India is spread over several cities with no one city dominating. NZ is better putting this traffic via SIN.
Additionally, the much larger SYD & MEL have only recieved a non-stop flight to DEL within the last couple of years. They are 3 hrs closer to DEL than AKL and from what i understand this flight is not performing that well.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by pepsi1336
Cant see DEL either. Would be an ULH route at 15/16 hours. traffic from NZ to India is spread over several cities with no one city dominating. NZ is better putting this traffic via SIN.
Additionally, the much larger SYD & MEL have only recieved a non-stop flight to DEL within the last couple of years. They are 3 hrs closer to DEL than AKL and from what i understand this flight is not performing that well.
But isn't that what the 787-9's are for so they can fly deeper? AI and NZ are negotiating codeshare agreement so I am sure connections in India won't be a problem. We are talking about one of the fastest growing aviation markets in the world. I know AI isn't doing well on the SYD/MEL routes but AI has it's own problems. Not many of their long haul routes are profitable anyway.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
BKK and KUL are looking like strong contenders based on the latest sales fares...
Old Nov 8, 2015, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
BKK and KUL are looking like strong contenders based on the latest sales fares...
Both BKK and KUL have very little O&D traffic - I'd peg it at much less than HKG which the CX/NZ authorisation request stated was about 16%. TG and MH can make it work because they can connect their passengers on to their onward services. I wouldn't put it past NZ to try to tie up with TG or MH on the route but with their SQ alliance feeding into SE Asia and Europe; and CX feeding them into North China there's not much of a role left for any TG/MH alliance to play.

ICN? Of course they'd want an alliance with KE if they did, given NZ's aversion to competing.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Top of climb
Both BKK and KUL have very little O&D traffic - I'd peg it at much less than HKG which the CX/NZ authorisation request stated was about 16%. TG and MH can make it work because they can connect their passengers on to their onward services. I wouldn't put it past NZ to try to tie up with TG or MH on the route but with their SQ alliance feeding into SE Asia and Europe; and CX feeding them into North China there's not much of a role left for any TG/MH alliance to play.

ICN? Of course they'd want an alliance with KE if they did, given NZ's aversion to competing.
I think the bilateral only allows one Korean airline, the designated flag carrier, to sell tickets between ROK and NZL but they can code via a third country, eg. OZ cannot codeshare to ICN but can to SYD to connect to their own metal.
The Japanese bilateral was the same where you previously had JL as the designated flag carrier while NH could not even though they belonged to *A. THis changed when NH became the designated flag carrier between JPN and NZL
Old Nov 8, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold
FNJ!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.