Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another 787-9 due for NZ delivery soon

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2015, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Except by the time they started arriving they'd already got rid of a lot of the 763's!
The 763 fleet was wound down from it's peak to the five we have today after the delivery of the 772 fleet. Even the 772 was only meant to be an interim measure until the delivery of the 7E7 (which became the 787). The leased examples were only on five(ish) year leases. Obviously the plan has long changed and evolved over time with the 787 delays and umpteen other reasons with those 772 leases extended and the frames currently planned to be with us into the next decade.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:37 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Kamadan
NZ ordered a total of 12 787-9s. that was to replace 11 767-300ER.
The original order back in 2004 was for 8x 772, and 2x 7E7-8s (then order the next 10 in pairs of twos).
Old Jul 24, 2015, 6:39 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
It'll be interesting to see what happens with the last 2x 763s that they are now keeping (which I've posted on here a few times I've been told are being kept for DPS/HNL and TT flights).

It would be very logical to simply market this as a PE offering on those routes, as part of the reason for keeping them is apparently that a lot of people sitting up the front on these routes are flying on upgrades rather than being full paying pax.
Whaaaaaaat? They're actually keeping some of the 763s? Shurely shome mishtake?

Last edited by mad_atta; Jul 24, 2015 at 8:08 am
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
If the airframes are low(ish) on hours it might make sense to keep the 767 and refurbish them for (however many) years more life in the same way the MD80's in the US will be flying for the next ~10 years (at least) simply because their base cost is so low now. I could well expect NZ to throw the PE spaceseats into them (assuming they fit) and call it 'Business' on the AKL/RAR/LAX route; they'd be closer to J than the current crap seats in J and make use of something they're otherwise getting rid of but that is nowhere near the end of service life (both planes & seats!).

Also, unrelated to above, but in line with the thread, saw an article earlier today that claimed Boeing is losing ~$25 million at the front end on each 787 sold currently and (due to penalties, costs, and rebates on delayed deliveries) won't be breaking even until they reach ~550 delivered.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Also, unrelated to above, but in line with the thread, saw an article earlier today that claimed Boeing is losing ~$25 million at the front end on each 787 sold currently and (due to penalties, costs, and rebates on delayed deliveries) won't be breaking even until they reach ~550 delivered.
With 1095 ordered and a full ramp up of both lines (Everett & Charleston), pretty sure Boeing isn't worried, at the current rate the 787 programme should turn a profit by 2017/18.

The A380 on the other hand... but that's seriously off topic.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Looks like ZK-NZD is scheduled to arrive at around 9:37pm tonight (25th July)

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ANZ6092

Old Jul 25, 2015, 4:42 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
How long before this bird starts flying revenue? Do they normally do the TT flights initially then go onto longer routes?
Old Jul 25, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by mad_atta
Whaaaaaaat? They're actually keeping some of the 763s? Shurely shome mishtake?
Nope. Air NZ announced in their Feb investor update that 2 x 763s were now being kept until FY17 rather than the planned phase out in FY16. The phase out of the other 3 has also been delayed.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: DL Silver, NZ, VS, HH, IHG Gold, Marriott, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mmonster
but back to topic, good to have new planes but existing 789s already show their age..... was on ZK-NZF and already showing its age

So are the 773s but they are older.

I wonder if NZ are regretting the black and white color scheme...
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mmonster
but back to topic, good to have new planes but existing 789s already show their age..... was on ZK-NZF and already showing its age
How are they showing age?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Nope. Air NZ announced in their Feb investor update that 2 x 763s were now being kept until FY17 rather than the planned phase out in FY16. The phase out of the other 3 has also been delayed.
Argh, will I ever escape these birds? I have a nasty feeling that SYD-AKL will be the very last route that they vanish from

Not that I am intrinsically opposed to 767s as an aircraft, especially for short hops like the Tasman. It's just NZ's tired old J seats that I hate. However I suppose we should be careful about wishing for any refurbishment of them - I'm sure NZ would find a way to make the current, quite reasonable Y product a lot less comfortable...
Old Jul 26, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by mad_atta
Not that I am intrinsically opposed to 767s as an aircraft, especially for short hops like the Tasman. It's just NZ's tired old J seats that I hate. However I suppose we should be careful about wishing for any refurbishment of them - I'm sure NZ would find a way to make the current, quite reasonable Y product a lot less comfortable...
Yup - 2-4-2 has been done on 767s in the past, just ask the British Charter airlines from the 90s.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikekelley
Sadly I'll have to agree.

Flown on ZK-NZE (the first -9) just yesterday on NZ175, 3A in J.

The little tray has a sticker "Do not use" and white tape stuck to it. Flight attendant told me it's been broken for a while, saw another seat having the same issue.

The side walls on my right has noticeable aging/scratching and minor stains... are NZ J pax really that abusive?

When you unfold the screens out, lots of dust at the hinges/inside, but I suppose that's more an issue with the cleaners not being thorough.

The wall opposite the front bathroom (behind the cockpit) is stained quite badly, as if coffee was thrown on the walls and not cleaned up.

And this bird is barely 1 year old.

The in-flight service was impeccable and IFE worked without fault, so at least those are still up to standard.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by mikekelley
the entire seat was not functional. cannot recline, walls with a lot of marks, that is ZK-NZF
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Stains etc I think are more a sign of disrespectful passengers rather than age. Seat broken? Maybe a manufacture issue as I doubt the seats are easy to break by pushing buttons although I did see one guy make a pretty good effort (not deliberately).

I see the back of the kia ora magazine has 4 789's listed. I know its printed monthly but I didn't expect it to be so up to date!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.