Search

Inflight Bites - Over inflated pricing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2015, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Koru
Inflight Bites - Over inflated pricing

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/new-t...ght-bites-menu

Anyone else noticed over the past two years that the prices have jumped up, I was surprised on an flight last week to see that now sell the small tubs of pringles for $5.

Surely they are making an good $3.50 here? since this isn't any taxes.

Back in 2010 the pricing wasn't to bad, now the only thing that is priced decently is the booze.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 12:58 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
For those who travel often but not enough to to justify koru, those prices do make up for the lounge access alternative. I suppose the accounting value does not make sense, as it is price of convenicence
Old Jun 13, 2015, 1:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I think I'd be more upset about charging for non-alcoholic drinks. That seems very Ryan Air-like.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 2:55 am

Can't think of too many industries that give away cans of coke for free...
Old Jun 13, 2015, 2:56 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Buy before you fly...
Old Jun 13, 2015, 5:58 am

Programs: NZ, IHG, Hilton, Accor, Hertz, FoundersCard
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/new-t...ght-bites-menu

Anyone else noticed over the past two years that the prices have jumped up, I was surprised on an flight last week to see that now sell the small tubs of pringles for $5.

Surely they are making an good $3.50 here? since this isn't any taxes.

Back in 2010 the pricing wasn't to bad, now the only thing that is priced decently is the booze.
Pringles are a rort in NZ. $3 for a small tube at Countdown. In the US, $12 for a 12-pack from Amazon

Ah well, Pak 'n Save have 1.5L red fizz for 9 cents...

justakiwi
Old Jun 13, 2015, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Rebound
Buy before you fly...
Or just eat in the lounge like I normally do, It was more I was looking for an snack on the way back from Melbourne.

For example though I wouldn't even say pringles are an product worth that much, surely they could have products that are better and cheaper e.g. Delirock
Old Jun 13, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Or just eat in the lounge like I normally do, It was more I was looking for an snack on the way back from Melbourne.

For example though I wouldn't even say pringles are an product worth that much, surely they could have products that are better and cheaper e.g. Delirock
I've been on so many airlines around the world that offer Pringles as a snack option, but I don't think I've ever seen any other brands of potato chips. I wonder what the airline industry obsession with Pringles is?

Yes they're tasty, but that's because of the crap in them. They may or may not even potato chips as P&G found out when they tried to defraud HM Customs and ended up in court fighting their tax battle in the UK.

The most interesting thing I find on the seats to suit menu is the fact that alcohol is free if you're flying works or works deluxe but you still have to pay $8 for a Macs Hop Rocker (and previously Moa before that). I'd love to know how many they actually sell when you can get other beer for free.

Last edited by sbiddle; Jun 13, 2015 at 3:43 pm
Old Jun 14, 2015, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle
I've been on so many airlines around the world that offer Pringles as a snack option, but I don't think I've ever seen any other brands of potato chips. I wonder what the airline industry obsession with Pringles is?
The obsession is likely that they come in a firm hard-sided consistently shaped package, making them easier to store and transport in catering trolleys without damage.

BA serve various small bags of (non-pringles) chips, US-based airlines often have Sun Chips, NZ has the cassava chips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.