Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"5 or fewer seats left at this price"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2015, 3:20 am
Original Poster

So I'm looking at some flights to Sydney during December 2015 and already I see a price saying "selling out".

Is this a marketing strategy or will prices for this flight only increase from now?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Around Xmas is a very busy time for trans-Tasman flights, wouldn't surprise me if it's true. Prices are always expensive around Xmas as well.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by curioustill

So I'm looking at some flights to Sydney during December 2015 and already I see a price saying "selling out".

Is this a marketing strategy or will prices for this flight only increase from now?
It means what is says. Seats are not all the same price. All airlines have fare class buckets*. The seats after these 5 may be a different fare bucket and a higher price. The number of seats in a fare bucket is always changing:- seat yield management at work

* Air NZ fare buckets for airpoints are hard to find
Old Jan 31, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand NZ*S

Prices have often increased when you go back to book them later.
If you see a good price it usually pays to grab it without going away from the page.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
May be true, but most likely there to push you closer to buying!
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by mikekelley
May be true, but most likely there to push you closer to buying!
I have had it happen, check prices, email relatives to check dates ok, go back and the price has increased, had it happen twice in one day for the same flights.
So I guess they had actually sold out or they were tracking my activity and punishing me for not buying the first time I visited!!!
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Interestingly, went back to check today.

Message of "5 or fewer seats available at this price" is gone! I am going to assume that someone cancelled?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: NZ*S
Interestingly, went back to check today.

Message of "5 or fewer seats available at this price" is gone! I am going to assume that someone cancelled?
Probably not, just a reshuffle of the fare buckets by the revenue maximumisation team more likely.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Prices can change on a day by day basis as far buckets are changed around.

Unlike some other airlines and many hotels these days Air NZ don't use cookies or other tracking tools to dynamically change pricing.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:43 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Something to be aware of for the very peak travel days around Christmas / New Year is that often flights may be upgauged to larger aircraft or even additional flights scheduled if demand warrants. In that scenario, often there are suddenly a few more cheaper seats available again, but it's not something you can count on. Travelling between NZ and Australia at Christmas time is just very poor value, and generally speaking the earlier you book, the better, since they are never going to have fare sales that apply to that most peak of travel periods.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:53 am

Programs: BD, BA, 1MHC.
Originally Posted by smandkjc
I have had it happen, check prices, email relatives to check dates ok, go back and the price has increased, had it happen twice in one day for the same flights.
So I guess they had actually sold out or they were tracking my activity and punishing me for not buying the first time I visited!!!
I generally close my browser with "browsing history deleted" then log on again, usually find this sorts that particular problem. Also, where possible I do not enable tracking cookies.

Noiseboy
Old Feb 3, 2015, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by smandkjc
As a matter of interest I was checking the Bus class fare to Hawaii for June 2015 since last September and found a Deal on the 8th November so immediately grabbed it.
I paid $3811 return and have still been checking every day and it went up to within a few dollars of $4597 every day since with no further Deals offered.
The Deal I got was never advertised just came up on the search that one time.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:54 pm

I suspect another airline (eg. Hawaiian) had a sale, AirNZ just sharpened their pencil for the duration of that sale.

AirNZ is not the only airline that reduces their price to match a competitor sale with no advertising.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by poopbunny
I suspect another airline (eg. Hawaiian) had a sale, AirNZ just sharpened their pencil for the duration of that sale.

AirNZ is not the only airline that reduces their price to match a competitor sale with no advertising.
It was just the one day that it was offered!!!!
Old Feb 4, 2015, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by poopbunny

If anyone figures out a good way to track this behaviour without manually searching, I would be most grateful for your insights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.