My seat assignment was changed

Old Dec 12, 2014, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
My seat assignment was changed

Hi. On NZ8 today I have been in 7B since booking in August (but only becuase my favourite 7A was taken!). Today I get to airport to find I've been moved to 3J (now I know this is a first world problem). Just managed to change to 9A...not as good but better than being stuck foreward trying to leave quickly. I have rarely had luck moving seats around if travelling with wife etc, but I guess this is why I was moved? Is it Xmas thing due to high loads of families? I am grumpy...and not yet left Chc bound for MCO.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Typical for NZ- seats are considered "requested" on all flights. You were moved because someone else with more pull (or friends) wanted it.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:13 pm

bumped by the PM

a couple of weeks ago, I was boarding a morning flight from Auckland to Wellington. As my boarding card was scanned, it set off a buzzing noise and I was pulled aside. Told that my seat had been changed fro 2A to something towards the back of the plane I was not too pleased and expressed mild displeasure. The agent then very quietly explained that John Key was on the flight and wanted my seat. Couldn't really argue with that.... Sure enough, just before leaving the gate the PM along with an aide and a security guard boarded and all sat in row 2.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: NZ*G, United.
PM, or the GG - safer to choose row 3 on the AKL WLG route anyway.

Mind you - I chose row 27 yesterday - bought shirts today

Last edited by macdo; Dec 14, 2014 at 1:00 am
Old Dec 12, 2014, 11:56 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Only time I've been moved is when the PM grabbed my seat and for once he wasn't sat in his usual seat 2A. This also prompted me to check the flights I booked for early next year and moved a few from 2A to avoid being bumped out again.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:52 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by macdo
PM, or the DG - safer to choose row 3 on the AKL WLG route anyway.

Mind you - I chose row 27 yesterday - bought shirts today
I did love reading the ad in KiaOra advertising the deal.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:59 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by zebranz
Typical for NZ- seats are considered "requested" on all flights.
It's not typical of NZ. A lot of carriers say that your seats are confirmed subject to operational requirements.

I had to make a last minute booking last week NYC-FRA in SQ J and the agent said to me that 18K was confirmed subject to operational requirements. I've also had the same with QF/LH/LX/UA/AA/BA/CX/MH/TG etc. etc.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 4:28 am

Programs: NZ, IHG, Hilton, Accor, Hertz, FoundersCard
Originally Posted by yowtraveller13
a couple of weeks ago, I was boarding a morning flight from Auckland to Wellington. As my boarding card was scanned, it set off a buzzing noise and I was pulled aside. Told that my seat had been changed fro 2A to something towards the back of the plane I was not too pleased and expressed mild displeasure. The agent then very quietly explained that John Key was on the flight and wanted my seat. Couldn't really argue with that.... Sure enough, just before leaving the gate the PM along with an aide and a security guard boarded and all sat in row 2.
In that case, he should splash out for his own plane; I expect the Madoff family has a Lear Jet or two going cheap. If the London Underground is good enough for our future King, the back of the (Air)bus is good enough for Teflon John A lack of planning on his part shouldn't constitute a crisis on ours...

justakiwi
Old Dec 13, 2014, 5:25 am

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold
Originally Posted by justakiwi
Quote:

Originally Posted by yowtraveller13

In that case, he should splash out for his own plane; I expect the Madoff family has a Lear Jet or two going cheap. If the London Underground is good enough for our future King, the back of the (Air)bus is good enough for Teflon John A lack of planning on his part shouldn't constitute a crisis on ours...

justakiwi
Without knowing the circumstances of this particular flight, often I would say it's more to do with the need to seat him with his DPS detail.

I fly between AKL and WLG several times a week and often see him in rows further back (pretty recently in about row 7 or 8).
Old Dec 14, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Interesting I have not flown NZ to AKL or back for years but it used to be JK and staffer in 2D-F with DPS in 2C and I was kept in 2A with 2B empty.
This happened several times.
I wonder as part of cost cutting they all now sit in a bank of 3.
On the ATR I have seen them in the back 2 rows.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Every flight I've been on with him this year (all A320s), it has been JK 2A, DPS 2C and either blank or Mrs JK in 2B.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:54 pm

To be fair the one I saw him back in row 7 or 8 may have had something to do with the flight beforehand being cancelled

Usually I see him with what I assume to be a staff member travelling in the same row as him, with the DPS person across from them.

Was similar with the last PM, I think.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 8:32 pm

If I was the PM I would have thought it would be good to sit with the average Joe. If the polls are correct, there will be a 6 in 10 chance that person will be friendly, if not, it would be a good opportunity to win him/her over to your side. Think of it as all year round campaigning.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 8:36 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Every so often when the plane is full, there can be a "normal" person sat in the middle seat when the PM gets on. There is normally a seat swap with the DPS person getting the middle seat and the "normal" person taking the aisle seat. I've then often seen them talk.

Similar the flight after the election, lots of people came up to congratulate him on the election win.

When he has got off flights I've seen him pose for photos, talk to people, etc. too.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by poopbunny
If I was the PM I would have thought it would be good to sit with the average Joe. If the polls are correct, there will be a 6 in 10 chance that person will be friendly, if not, it would be a good opportunity to win him/her over to your side. Think of it as all year round campaigning.
I wouldn't recommend that. Too many crazy FTers complaining about the declining quality of Air NZ's frequent flyer programme

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.