Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Turned away from SQ SYD lounge (closed?)

Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold

Am just sitting in the NZ SYD lounge about to fly home to AKL. As I haven't been to the new SQ lounge yet I thought I'd check it out.

My partner and I are flying in J.

When we turned up at the SQ lounge she took our boarding passes and said the NZ lounge is next door.

I replied "yea, but we can come in here too."

She replied that the lounge is closed getting the floors done.

Now this may be true, and I'd be happy to be corrected, but it seemed ridiculous given the new SQ lounge has only been open a few months; and why would they post a dragon on the desk if they were sending all passengers to the NZ lounge?

The NZ lounge is very quiet with 90% white faces, so it seems barely believable that SQ passengers are being directed here.

Any ideas on what I should do?
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:31 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Go back and record them on your phone rejecting you from accessing the lounge, then forward the footage to SQHQ and see what there response is.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Haha, did that. Turns out she was correct.

Went back just after an SQ flight was called, and saw a bunch of people leaving.

Walked in asking " ah, so it's open now?"

Bit of to-and-fro until she realised I knew what the rules were and she told me the full story: apparently today the business class flooring is getting redone (they've had problems since it was put in) so they're directing J SQ pax and SQ elites to their first lounge (which appears to be the door on the right as you walk in) and other passengers to the NZ lounge.

I was still a tad sceptical until I arrived back in the NZ lounge, where the staff were a bit surprised I was back so soon; when I mentioned SQ turned me away they confirmed the floors are being redone.

Now feel like a bit of a prat
Old Oct 27, 2014, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by DomesticGoddess

When we turned up at the SQ lounge she took our boarding passes and said the NZ lounge is next door.
That is their standard line, however they are happy to accomodate NZ "customers" where capacity permits, as it is additional revenue for SQ.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by DomesticGoddess
The NZ lounge is very quiet with 90% white faces
What does this comment mean?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:02 am

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
What does this comment mean?
one would assume that the point that was trying to be made was that there was a lower than expected Asian clientele as one may expect from a PENDING SQ flight. I get what OP was trying to get across however I have a feeling irishguy28 or possibly others (myself included) may not agree with the wording. One would also assume that OP choice of words was just a passing comment and in no way would suggest that all SQ pax would be Asian origin.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QTFLYER
one would assume that the point that was trying to be made was that there was a lower than expected Asian clientele as one may expect from a PENDING SQ flight. I get what OP was trying to get across however I have a feeling irishguy28 or possibly others (myself included) may not agree with the wording. One would also assume that OP choice of words was just a passing comment and in no way would suggest that all SQ pax would be Asian origin.
Yes my apologies, my wording could have been and should have been more careful. It was simply more that the large bulk of passengers were NZ bound (by their kiwi accents) rather than Asia bound. Yes this is a generalisation, but frankly I stand by it; particularly given the fact there were no departures from the lounge when the SQ flight was called.

Again, apologies for any taking offence.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:06 am

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I have had the pleasure of using the SQ lounge in SYD on a couple of occasions recently. It is usually pretty empty when I use it as their last SQ flight departs at 19.10 but they announce boarding before 6. The lounge then closes at 6 though the staff don't expect anyone to be around then. That is usually ok as my WLG flights are around 18.30.
The beef rendang is quite tasty, too.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:06 am

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ
I was there on Saturday - made to go to the NZ lounge. They said they had strict instruction from SQ HQ in SIN.. And supposedly the work was to be completed within a few days so it could be back open again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.