Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will NZ offer 30kg baggage?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2014, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

When will NZ offer 30kg baggage?

Feels a bit overdue now with the SIA alliance. Even 1 x 30kg as an alternative to 2 x 23kg for *G would be preferable.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 6:35 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ttravelator
Feels a bit overdue now with the SIA alliance. Even 1 x 30kg as an alternative to 2 x 23kg for *G would be preferable.
They won't.

It's to do with NZ OSH (Occupational Safety & Health) Requirements.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by WLG Base
It's to do with NZ OSH (Occupational Safety & Health) Requirements.
I understand OSH requires bags not exceeding 32kg. NZ are ground handling agents for many foreign carriers which have 32kg bags all the time.

I also assume if you book with SQ on an NZ codeshare you will get SQ baggage allowance which is 30kg (50kg for Star Gold) in Economy with maximum weight of 32kg per bag.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Oh for the good old days when Air NZ offered 2 x 32kg as standard on all flights that either travelled through (or had any stops) in North America!
Old Oct 6, 2014, 2:46 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
I understand OSH requires bags not exceeding 32kg. NZ are ground handling agents for many foreign carriers which have 32kg bags all the time.
OSH prevents an single handler/agent handling a bag of 24kg and above, these bags require 2x staff to lift etc.

Foreign airlines will be paying NZ for this in there service fees
Old Oct 6, 2014, 3:50 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
OSH prevents an single handler/agent handling a bag of 24kg and above, these bags require 2x staff to lift etc.

Foreign airlines will be paying NZ for this in there service fees
Foreign airlines are willing to pay but NZ are refusing? If foreign airlines are charging more in their fares then that's fair enough but often it is in the contrary and NZ fares are one of the highest.

I am sure Australia has similar rules and no airline is limiting a bag to a maximum of 23kg.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
I also assume if you book with SQ on an NZ codeshare you will get SQ baggage allowance which is 30kg (50kg for Star Gold) in Economy with maximum weight of 32kg per bag.
Yes, my son flew DUD-CHC-SIN-ICN//ICN-SIN-AKL-DUD on SQ ticket in Y, no status.

I was concerned that despite the e-tickets specifying 30 kg for all sectors that there could be 'issues' at check-in since the domestic sectors were on NZ flight numbers and NOT SQ codeshare.

In the event, so problems at all. For return, bags were tagged through to DUD despite a long (overnight) layover at AKL. So he just needed to drop them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.