ZK-NBV final Air NZ 744 flight

Old Sep 11, 14, 2:27 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 4,970
ZK-NBV final Air NZ 744 flight

ZK-NBV flew NZ7 to Auckland this morning for it's last ever flight. Word is it's been sold and will be refitted to an all economy layout, so at least it still has a future and won't be turned into Coke cans or parked up.

One thing that has been interesting has been some whispers lately they Air NZ are looking at the 748. Officially this has been denied, but Boeing are desperate to at least sell some more of these, and the extra seats do make it the perfect fit for the SFO and LAX routes.

If Air NZ could get a couple of these for a steal it could possibly be a good fit. The question is just whether having a couple of a single type stacks up.
sbiddle is offline  
Old Sep 11, 14, 3:06 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Christchurch, NZ
Programs: NZ *E, Accor Platinum, Hertz President’s Circle
Posts: 611
The 748 production line tour was VERY quiet compared to 777 and 787. They were talking it up of course. I imagine they are good buying.
Markhm is offline  
Old Sep 11, 14, 3:15 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Zealand
Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Posts: 1,347
In this industry I am usually reluctant to say "never!", however, I think I am safe to say it on this occasion.

Air New Zealand have talked very loudly about the efficiencies in reducing 5 mainline pilot groups ( 737/747/767/777/A320) to just two ( A320 and a combined 777/787 group).

I cannot think of any advantage the 747-8 would bring to the NZ fleet ( other than "it looks nice" , which doesn't translate into $$$$$). Don't hold your breath waiting to see another quad in the NZ fleet, in my opinion.
kiwiandrew is offline  
Old Sep 11, 14, 9:47 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: AKL
Programs: NZ Silver
Posts: 1,767
Managed to catch a glimpse of it taxiing back to the gate today (from what's left of the view in the domestic lounge), sad day indeed.
brenrox is offline  
Old Sep 12, 14, 4:18 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NZ
Programs: NZ Gold, BA Silver, QF Bronze, AF Ivory, IHG Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum
Posts: 1,001
I'm sad as well, I first flew on an NZ 747 in 1997 on NZ2, and have lost count of the times I flew on NZ2/NZ1, NZ6/NZ5, NZ7/NZ8 and for the period it operated NZ38/NZ39 on the big birds.

From the Pacific Wave business class on the upper deck and downstairs (NZ's 767 business class is what remains of that), the 34" economy class downstairs (without personal video IFE of course) and about half a dozen times in First Class in the nose (the last time with actual first class service being an op-up on a full NZ1 from LAX when the 2nd LOTR movie was having its premier in Wellington, with the First Class cabin otherwise full of celebrities like Liv Tyler and Dominic Monaghan).

Those were the days when NZ1/2 operated from T3 at LHR using the United lounges that are now BA lounges, and the LAX NZ lounge was half its current size. However, they were also the days when the Business Class catering involved trolleys with grand plates of a wide selection of fruits, cheeses and desserts, where you could point out what you wanted and it got plated for you. The flipside is the 10 channel rolling selection of films and TV shows on the tiny IFE screen that flipped up, and reclining to an angle of 40 degrees or so (and first only going fully flat when a row was removed around 1999).

After the end of First Class there was the delight of always getting the nose when booking Business (or being upgraded with Gold/Gold Elite upgrade vouchers or airpoints upgrades) whilst being a Gold Elite, so having first class seats with Business Premier service. The last refurbishment was a distinct improvement and brought us premium economy, promptly expanded downstairs with a mini cabin that was quite pleasant. I never flew NZ in economy with the most recent configuration on the 744s, but there was always something special about flying in the nose in BP. It was also a time when you could sometimes find yourself with a celebrity discreetly flying NZ1/2 between LAX and LHR, enjoying this quiet low density cabin.

No 777 comes close... not as private, not as fast, not as impressive to watch, and certainly in Y - not as comfortable.

The end of an era, and almost the end of an era for New Zealand with 747s as passenger aircraft.

I doubt the passing of the 767s or 737s will be quite so missed, although the latter including their two previous generations, were transformative for NZ, ultimately being the death knell for railways as a key form of business travel, but that's another story.
libertyuk is offline  
Old Sep 12, 14, 4:41 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: NZ Koru
Posts: 5,908
Originally Posted by libertyuk View Post
I doubt the passing of the 767s or 737s will be quite so missed, although the latter including their two previous generations, were transformative for NZ, ultimately being the death knell for railways as a key form of business travel, but that's another story.
I don't think I'll miss the 733, infact I can't wait for them to be gone. I had one last week and had forgotten how uncomfortable they are.

On the other hand the 767 was the main aircarft for being growing up.
cavemanzk is offline  
Old Sep 12, 14, 5:55 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SYD
Programs: QFWP/LTG, VAWP, NZ*G, OZD, NH*G, Marriott Plat, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Posts: 1,420
The 733 and the 763 are the two aircraft I have taken the most flights in (by far). I cannot wait for them to disappear.
pbl22 is offline  
Old Sep 12, 14, 3:51 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Zealand
Programs: Koru/*S, GHA Gold
Posts: 932
I've done a lot of flights in the 733 and whilst I won't miss it for the comfort factor compared to the A320, I suspect that in an emergency I'd rather be in the 733.
Trumpkin is offline  
Old Sep 12, 14, 7:27 pm
  #9  
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: on a short leash
Programs: some
Posts: 71,067
Originally Posted by libertyuk View Post
I'm sad as well, I first flew on an NZ 747 in 1997 on NZ2, and have lost count of the times I flew on NZ2/NZ1, NZ6/NZ5, NZ7/NZ8 and for the period it operated NZ38/NZ39 on the big birds.

From the Pacific Wave business class on the upper deck and downstairs (NZ's 767 business class is what remains of that), the 34" economy class downstairs (without personal video IFE of course) and about half a dozen times in First Class in the nose (the last time with actual first class service being an op-up on a full NZ1 from LAX when the 2nd LOTR movie was having its premier in Wellington, with the First Class cabin otherwise full of celebrities like Liv Tyler and Dominic Monaghan).

Those were the days when NZ1/2 operated from T3 at LHR using the United lounges that are now BA lounges, and the LAX NZ lounge was half its current size. However, they were also the days when the Business Class catering involved trolleys with grand plates of a wide selection of fruits, cheeses and desserts, where you could point out what you wanted and it got plated for you. The flipside is the 10 channel rolling selection of films and TV shows on the tiny IFE screen that flipped up, and reclining to an angle of 40 degrees or so (and first only going fully flat when a row was removed around 1999).

After the end of First Class there was the delight of always getting the nose when booking Business (or being upgraded with Gold/Gold Elite upgrade vouchers or airpoints upgrades) whilst being a Gold Elite, so having first class seats with Business Premier service. The last refurbishment was a distinct improvement and brought us premium economy, promptly expanded downstairs with a mini cabin that was quite pleasant. I never flew NZ in economy with the most recent configuration on the 744s, but there was always something special about flying in the nose in BP. It was also a time when you could sometimes find yourself with a celebrity discreetly flying NZ1/2 between LAX and LHR, enjoying this quiet low density cabin.

No 777 comes close... not as private, not as fast, not as impressive to watch, and certainly in Y - not as comfortable.

The end of an era, and almost the end of an era for New Zealand with 747s as passenger aircraft.

I doubt the passing of the 767s or 737s will be quite so missed, although the latter including their two previous generations, were transformative for NZ, ultimately being the death knell for railways as a key form of business travel, but that's another story.
Agree.
Kiwi Flyer is offline  
Old Sep 12, 14, 7:30 pm
  #10  
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: on a short leash
Programs: some
Posts: 71,067
Originally Posted by pbl22 View Post
The 733 and the 763 are the two aircraft I have taken the most flights in (by far). I cannot wait for them to disappear.
While the number of 777 flights I've flown overtook the number of 747 flights a couple of years ago, I'm still flying enough 747 flights (including tomorrow), on other airlines of course, that it is not far behind. And yes the aircraft I've flown the most by far is 737.

BTW your flight memory appears to be disabled for public view.
Kiwi Flyer is offline  
Old Sep 12, 14, 8:22 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SYD
Programs: QFWP/LTG, VAWP, NZ*G, OZD, NH*G, Marriott Plat, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Posts: 1,420
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer View Post
BTW your flight memory appears to be disabled for public view.
Thanks, KF. Fixed. Enjoy the trip.
pbl22 is offline  
Old Sep 13, 14, 2:33 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 4,970
Originally Posted by pbl22 View Post
The 733 and the 763 are the two aircraft I have taken the most flights in (by far). I cannot wait for them to disappear.
I still love the 763 as an aircraft but you are correct, nobody will miss them ..except if you're stuck in Y where 2-3-2 is actually great for longhaul with good legroom and space compared to the 77W and 77E refit.
sbiddle is offline  
Old Sep 13, 14, 10:40 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MRY - CNX - TXL
Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Posts: 7,060
Figure I may ask around here...in Spring of 2005 LAX-AKL what would the plane have been? I flew down to go to Lake Taupo to race the Ironman and I'm just trying to fill out some of the old FlightMemory website that I have on older flights I remember taking but never paying much attention to what we were actually sitting on.
JVPhoto is offline  
Old Sep 13, 14, 11:17 pm
  #14  
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: on a short leash
Programs: some
Posts: 71,067
Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
Figure I may ask around here...in Spring of 2005 LAX-AKL what would the plane have been? I flew down to go to Lake Taupo to race the Ironman and I'm just trying to fill out some of the old FlightMemory website that I have on older flights I remember taking but never paying much attention to what we were actually sitting on.
Probably 747. The first 777s arrived around October 2005 IIRC, and 767 LAX flights were all via various islands (which presumably you'd recall a middle of the night transit stop).
Kiwi Flyer is offline  
Old Sep 14, 14, 6:06 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South Island, New Zealand
Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Posts: 310
New to flyertalk, but would have lost count of the times I have flown on Air NZ's 747 aircraft, mostly in J when I worked in an export role in the seafood industry, to US, Asia and Europe. Sad to see the last one go.
ottiehund is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: