Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Various questions on domestic NZ flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2014, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Hello NZ forum,

I will be travelling within NZ early next year and I was looking at my options. In particular, I am looking at a AKL-ZQN-AKL trip in mid-February.
At that time, I will be LH*G, while my girlfriend is A3*G.
While Jetstar fares are cheaper, they do not include any luggage. Once the luggage is included, the price is head to head with NZ so I think I'd prefer to travel with NZ if anything to at least exploit status.
Here are my questions:

1) If I buy a seat-only fare, and I am *G, do I have 1 free bag? I understand that the rule is "1 bag on top of the fare allowance", so in this case it would be 0+1 bags. Honestly buying the bag is 10$ right now, so it wouldn't break the bank anyway
2) How about lounge access when travelling economy domestic? Is *G enough for access? Flights are short and I don't think we'll need it, but it's nice to have the option.
3) Some flights on NZ website are not direct, but include very short stopovers in WLG or CHC, sometimes as short as 30 minutes. Are these connections common? MCT in WLG and CHC seem indeed really short, but the slightest delay can throw everything in the air.

Thank you for your answers!
Old Aug 6, 2014, 3:15 am

Programs: NZ E, EY G, QF G
Kia ora!

1) Seat-only does not include a bag. Buy seat + bag and *G will get you a second back (your girlfriend's?) for free.

2) Yes, it will be. Plus 1 guest (except for Queenstown; no guest there).

3) Not uncommon. If you miss a connection you will be accomodated on the next available flight.

Enjoy your trip!

Originally Posted by malmostoso
Hello NZ forum,

I will be travelling within NZ early next year and I was looking at my options. In particular, I am looking at a AKL-ZQN-AKL trip in mid-February.
At that time, I will be LH*G, while my girlfriend is A3*G.
While Jetstar fares are cheaper, they do not include any luggage. Once the luggage is included, the price is head to head with NZ so I think I'd prefer to travel with NZ if anything to at least exploit status.
Here are my questions:

1) If I buy a seat-only fare, and I am *G, do I have 1 free bag? I understand that the rule is "1 bag on top of the fare allowance", so in this case it would be 0+1 bags. Honestly buying the bag is 10$ right now, so it wouldn't break the bank anyway
2) How about lounge access when travelling economy domestic? Is *G enough for access? Flights are short and I don't think we'll need it, but it's nice to have the option.
3) Some flights on NZ website are not direct, but include very short stopovers in WLG or CHC, sometimes as short as 30 minutes. Are these connections common? MCT in WLG and CHC seem indeed really short, but the slightest delay can throw everything in the air.

Thank you for your answers!
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Kia Ora MikeAKL and thank you for your quick reply!

I could find an old thread that demonstrated how for NZ "0+1=0", an interesting theorem if you ask me!
I'll just suck it up and buy a seat+bag fare, for at least one of us (in that thread it was mentioned that 1+1 does indeed equal 2, so it would be enough).

Thank you again!
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:46 am

Programs: NZ*E
Kia Ora MikeAKL and thank you for your quick reply!

I could find an old thread that demonstrated how for NZ "0+1=0", an interesting theorem if you ask me!
I'll just suck it up and buy a seat+bag fare, for at least one of us (in that thread it was mentioned that 1+1 does indeed equal 2, so it would be enough).

Thank you again!
I think their specific terminology is a little bit tricky in that sense, I'm pretty sure last I read it was something along the lines of "one extra item of luggage on those fares which have a luggage allowance" ie. a seat only fare has no luggage allowance so is excluded.

It's a bit mean of them really and I'm sure it catches a few people out who don't travel NZ often.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 5:23 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by KiwiJC
I think their specific terminology is a little bit tricky in that sense, I'm pretty sure last I read it was something along the lines of "one extra item of luggage on those fares which have a luggage allowance" ie. a seat only fare has no luggage allowance so is excluded.

It's a bit mean of them really and I'm sure it catches a few people out who don't travel NZ often.
I think most of the above has already covered it, and people in NZ knows the rules pretty well, but just to recap, and straight from AirNZ's "Check-in & Baggage Benefits" page:

Baggage allowance - Domestic

Our normal baggage allowance domestically is one bag for Seat+Bag fares, Flexi Time and Smart Saver fares and two bags for Flexi Plus fares (each up to 23kgs). Elite, Gold, Star Gold and Koru Club members can take another bag up to 23kgs at no extra charge when purchasing a Seat+Bag, Flexi Time, Smart Saver or Flexi Plus fare. Please note: additional allowance does not apply to the grabaseat 'seat only' product.
So regardless of status level, 'Seat' only does not include any checked baggage.

However, being *G means you can have up-to 14kg cabin baggage (up from 7kg, which NZ is known to enforce rather strictly):

•Business Class, Premium Economy* & connecting Business Class customers, Air New Zealand Elite, Gold and Star Alliance Gold customers are permitted to carry two pieces weighing a maximum combined total of 14kgs (30lbs), with one of those items weighing up to 10kgs
◦To help our staff recognise your higher cabin baggage allowance, please use your Status name bag tag on your heavier cabin baggage item

•In addition to your allowance, you may also carry onboard one small personal item such as a handbag, duty free bag or slim line laptop bag, which must be able to fit under the seat in front of you
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Hello again NZ forum,

as mentioned in the original post, I am looking at AKL-ZQN in mid February. I had to change my travel dates and now my only option (already rebooked) is to arrive in AKL on SQ285 at 11:45 on a Sunday. Now I have to buy a separate ticket for my onward journey.

Basically I have two choices:
- 289$ Flexiplus AKL-CHC-ZQN leaving AKL at 13:00
- 359$ Seat+bag AKL-ZQN leaving AKL at 14:15

I am tempted to book the cheaper fare being full flex and everything, but I am pretty sure that a 75 minutes connection is below MCT on one ticket, and doing it on two separate PNRs is just asking for trouble. This being a Sunday, there are no more flights afterwards.

Should I suck it up and buy the more expensive fare? Will 2.5h be enough time?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Hello again NZ forum,

as mentioned in the original post, I am looking at AKL-ZQN in mid February. I had to change my travel dates and now my only option (already rebooked) is to arrive in AKL on SQ285 at 11:45 on a Sunday. Now I have to buy a separate ticket for my onward journey.

Basically I have two choices:
- 289$ Flexiplus AKL-CHC-ZQN leaving AKL at 13:00
- 359$ Seat+bag AKL-ZQN leaving AKL at 14:15

I am tempted to book the cheaper fare being full flex and everything, but I am pretty sure that a 75 minutes connection is below MCT on one ticket, and doing it on two separate PNRs is just asking for trouble. This being a Sunday, there are no more flights afterwards.

Should I suck it up and buy the more expensive fare? Will 2.5h be enough time?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!
Doable provided that your not late, check-in for domestic at (Intl) closes 60 minutes, or 30 minutes at the Domestic Terminal (is an 15 minute walk).

How much is the 7am flight the next morning? might be an better option
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Doable provided that your not late, check-in for domestic at (Intl) closes 60 minutes, or 30 minutes at the Domestic Terminal (is an 15 minute walk).

How much is the 7am flight the next morning? might be an better option
Thank you for your advice!

Thing is that because of work I already have to cut my holiday in half, and wasting another night in Auckland when I am expected in the South is not that appealing.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Buy the Flexitime or Flexiplus.
IIRC if you are late and there is a seat available, which is a gamble judging by the fare of the last flight, you can change without charge to the other flight on the day.
Flexiplus will allow a change to the first flight on the following day if things go pear shape.
Also Jetstar have a 16:10 AKL-ZQN on Sundays as well.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Also have a look at houseoftravel.co.nz or expedia.co.nz - ocassionally these will offer alternate routings (eg via WLG) that may have longer connections etc.

That said, I'd agree with blackcloud that probably just need to bear the cost.

You might also consider buying the fully refundable FlexiPlus - and then check (daily) www.grabaseat.co.nz to see if there are any specials for the travel date concerned. If something becomes available, buy the special and then get a full refund on the FlexiPlus.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies!

I checked Jetstar but there seems to be no flight in the afternoon. Only 7AM and 9AM.
Also the other websites don't offer much more.

I am not sure the 14:15 flight is more expensive because it's packed, but probably because it's direct. I think I will end up buying that, since after a 30h trip from Europe the idea of having yet another connection doesn't sound so grand.

Silly question: even assuming that the SQ agent in AMS would be able to do it technically, could I check my luggage through all the way to ZQN? I think I will have to get it in AKL anyway to clear customs, right?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:50 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
They should be able to tag your luggage, but you'll still need to collect it to clear customs. You can then just drop your bag at the transfer desk if you don't want to carry it with you to the domestic terminal.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Right, so probably not much point in confusing the agent in AMS with two separate tickets.

Thank you!
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by MikeAKL
Kia ora!

2) Yes, it will be. Plus 1 guest (except for Queenstown; no guest there).
Are you sure? Air NZ website and Star Alliance says nothing about no guests that I can see
http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/frequ...nge-privileges

Queenstown these days is quite a large staffed lounge so I am surprised they dont allow guests. Are you not confusing with the old lounge which was small and had a code to enter?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Are you sure? Air NZ website and Star Alliance says nothing about no guests that I can see
http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/frequ...nge-privileges

Queenstown these days is quite a large staffed lounge so I am surprised they dont allow guests. Are you not confusing with the old lounge which was small and had a code to enter?
I thought ZQN lounge was defined as a regional lounge, which means no guests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.