Through-checked Baggage

Old Aug 3, 14, 9:12 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 417
Through-checked Baggage

Some good news.

Just found out that NZ will through-check separate tickets as a courtesy to premium passengers (Business, Elite, Gold, Star Gold only) as a courtesy.

All passengers connecting to/from NZ J class or to any airline in any class.

Elite, Gold, and Star Gold connecting from NZ Y/U to NZ Y/U or to another airline in any class. As there are separate tickets, the separate fare rules and baggage allowances still apply.

Only applies to airlines that NZ has interline agreements with (not JQ, for example).
LyingFlat is offline  
Old Aug 3, 14, 9:19 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Posts: 3,205
Fantastic. Did NZ see a recent thread about this and make the change? Are you referring to ex AKL?
Xiaotung is offline  
Old Aug 3, 14, 9:35 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 417
Originally Posted by Xiaotung View Post
Fantastic. Did NZ see a recent thread about this and make the change? Are you referring to ex AKL?
From what I could gather it is for all ports. Not sure if they saw the thread. However, check-in agent said that they were getting a lot of complaints from premium pax who didn't know that their itinerary was actually separate tickets. (This would probably be the case mainly for business travellers who get agents to issue the tickets...)

For non-status/non-Business Class pax who wish to be through-checked, they need to have purchased a full Y or U class ticket.
LyingFlat is offline  
Old Aug 3, 14, 10:51 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: TRG
Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Posts: 998
I have experienced this ex WLG last year. Separate tickets. One ticket WLG - SYD return. The other SYD - BKK - CDG return.
Thought it was random luck when they through checked my bag!
Made the SYD transit very easy.
WLGNZ is offline  
Old Aug 3, 14, 11:02 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Christchurch, NZ
Programs: NZ *E, Accor Platinum, Hertz President’s Circle
Posts: 611
They did not do it for me last week. I was on chc-SFO...then to LAS. Bought as 2 tickets and I forgot all about getting PNRs linked.
Markhm is offline  
Old Aug 3, 14, 11:04 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 417
Originally Posted by Markhm View Post
They did not do it for me last week. I was on chc-SFO...then to LAS. Bought as 2 tickets and I forgot all about getting PNRs linked.
They AP staff told me that it is best that you bring both tickets with you to check-in - makes it much easier to locate your oncarriage.
LyingFlat is offline  
Old Aug 4, 14, 10:25 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 464
I can't tell if this will work for me or not. No status (well, AirNZ silver), will be travelling soon on a United business award ticket, with first (Air NZ) leg in economy due to lack of biz availability. Will NZ use the seat I'm in on their flight or the fact that the whole ticket is a business class redemption to decide if I qualify?
itchyfeet123 is offline  
Old Aug 4, 14, 3:57 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South
Posts: 123
Originally Posted by itchyfeet123 View Post
I can't tell if this will work for me or not. No status (well, AirNZ silver), will be travelling soon on a United business award ticket, with first (Air NZ) leg in economy due to lack of biz availability. Will NZ use the seat I'm in on their flight or the fact that the whole ticket is a business class redemption to decide if I qualify?
If it's all on one ticket then it doesn't matter. The answer is your luggage will be through checked regardless.
waterwingsNZ is offline  
Old Aug 4, 14, 4:15 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Melbourne
Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Posts: 21,574
Originally Posted by itchyfeet123 View Post
I can't tell if this will work for me or not. No status (well, AirNZ silver), will be travelling soon on a United business award ticket, with first (Air NZ) leg in economy due to lack of biz availability. Will NZ use the seat I'm in on their flight or the fact that the whole ticket is a business class redemption to decide if I qualify?
Presumably that's all on the one ticket?

If so then there's no issue with through checking - were you referring to checked luggage allowance?

Without knowing the routing no much further can be offerred.
serfty is offline  
Old Aug 4, 14, 4:30 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SJC
Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Posts: 2,634
Originally Posted by LyingFlat View Post
From what I could gather it is for all ports. Not sure if they saw the thread. However, check-in agent said that they were getting a lot of complaints from premium pax who didn't know that their itinerary was actually separate tickets. (This would probably be the case mainly for business travellers who get agents to issue the tickets...)

For non-status/non-Business Class pax who wish to be through-checked, they need to have purchased a full Y or U class ticket.
That's an improvement if it is correct, but it's not as if the complaints are a sudden/new thing, so I am puzzled why they increasingly locked this down for years only to reverse it now.

It would be nice to see some form of confirmation of this change.
ajnz is offline  
Old Aug 4, 14, 4:41 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 464
Originally Posted by itchyfeet123 View Post
I can't tell if this will work for me or not. No status (well, AirNZ silver), will be travelling soon on a United business award ticket, with first (Air NZ) leg in economy due to lack of biz availability. Will NZ use the seat I'm in on their flight or the fact that the whole ticket is a business class redemption to decide if I qualify?
Originally Posted by waterwingsNZ View Post
If it's all on one ticket then it doesn't matter. The answer is your luggage will be through checked regardless.
Originally Posted by serfty View Post
Presumably that's all on the one ticket?

If so then there's no issue with through checking - were you referring to checked luggage allowance?

Without knowing the routing no much further can be offerred.
Sorry for not being clear. I am going AKL-MEL-BKK on a UA award ticket, connecting to BKK-HKG-LAX-AUS on an AA award ticket. In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal if I have to claim and recheck my bag in BKK, but it would be nice not to have to.
itchyfeet123 is offline  
Old Aug 5, 14, 5:57 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Melbourne
Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Posts: 21,574
Note sure NZ can do more than four connex on bag tags in any case.

You would need to collect your luggage at LAX irrespective of anything else.

Going by the above, *A Silver does not qualify for the exception.
serfty is offline  
Old Aug 5, 14, 6:08 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Posts: 3,205
Originally Posted by serfty View Post
Note sure NZ can do more than four connex on bag tags in any case.

You would need to collect your luggage at LAX irrespective of anything else.
Someone asked that question in the other thread. I would be curious to know that too. Technically they can print more than four airport codes I guess but they will need to print 2 separately bag tags?
Xiaotung is offline  
Old Aug 5, 14, 11:52 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SJC
Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Posts: 2,634
Originally Posted by Xiaotung View Post
Someone asked that question in the other thread. I would be curious to know that too. Technically they can print more than four airport codes I guess but they will need to print 2 separately bag tags?
Yep. My old WLG-AKL-LAX-YYZ-YOW flights would result in two tags, and invariably a lost bag in YYZ.
ajnz is offline  
Old Aug 5, 14, 8:36 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 75
Originally Posted by ajnz View Post
Yep. My old WLG-AKL-LAX-YYZ-YOW flights would result in two tags, and invariably a lost bag in YYZ.
You are closest to my question I posted earlier. Did your tags have AKL-LAX-YYZ printed on one and YOW printed on the other?

My routing is SYD-AKL-LAX-DEN-COS and I am considering whether I should get them tagged all the way as I don't want my bags to be lost in DEN.
roby is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: