FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   NRT/AKL equipment question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1581926-nrt-akl-equipment-question.html)

Exleftseat Jun 1, 2014 7:37 pm

NRT/AKL equipment question

Maybe this has been answered elsewhere, if so please move my post. We were on NZ 99 AKL-NRT and had booked the flight last year when it showed up as a 77. When I checked a couple of weeks ago, it was changed to a 67 and our 2 window flat bed seats were changed for the bulkhead seats in row 1. This was a horrible experience and probably the worst seat ever for an 11 hour flight. We have another flight booked back to AKL on August 17, NZ 90 and right now it shows as a 77. Will they switch equipment again? If so or even if there is a chance, then I will preemptively re-book to SQ or TG via SIN/BKK. No way I will fly the seats on the 67 again. I love the Boeing 767 but these seats are just beyond bad. Thanks for your help.

Kiwi Flyer Jun 1, 2014 7:48 pm

Quite possible, maybe even probable. There are lots of complaints about NRT and PVG flights which NZ often uses 767 on.

I try to avoid this route as I don't accept the risk of downgauge resulting in the worse seat. However, this is very difficult on *A premium awards because NZ only ever releases business class award seats on the PVG (and to a lesser extent NRT) route.

sbiddle Jun 1, 2014 7:50 pm

The reality is it could be swapped out at any time depending on the capacity requirements on the route.

I flew both ways to NRT in J on a 763 in April in business. I think the crew are even embarrassed by the product they have on offer. I don't mind the 763 for a day flight, but didn't manage to get any sleep at all on the way back.

The only perk of the 763 is that it's a cheap upgrade direct from Y.

Exleftseat Jun 1, 2014 7:57 pm

[QUOTE=sbiddle;22962213
I flew both ways to NRT in J on a 763 in April in business. I think the crew are even embarrassed by the product they have on offer..[/QUOTE]

The crew was indeed embarrassed and although it certainly wasn't their fault, they profoundly apologized for the poor experience we had, they pointed out that the 787 was scheduled to fly this route in the future. Nice prospect, but didn't help us a bit.
Based on your responses, I will try to make a change in my reservations.

Exleftseat Jun 1, 2014 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 22962202)
However, this is very difficult on *A premium awards because NZ only ever releases business class award seats on the PVG (and to a lesser extent NRT) route.

Strangely enough, PVG-AKL always shows up for me, NRT rarely. However, I have to catch a Monday morning flight to PPT and the NRT flight is the only one that remotely gives me a chance to catch my connection with only 60 minutes to spare.

Kiwi Flyer Jun 1, 2014 8:30 pm

That's what I said. It is easy to get business class awards on PVG route, less easy on NRT and impossible on other NZ routes.

Exleftseat Jun 1, 2014 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 22962337)
That's what I said. It is easy to get business class awards on PVG route, less easy on NRT and impossible on other NZ routes.

My bad, misread. You are correct.

temete23 Jun 1, 2014 10:10 pm

I guess I should count myself lucky that both my flights last week (AKL-NRT-AKL) didn't have an equipment change to the 763^

Exleftseat Jun 1, 2014 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by temete23 (Post 22962672)
I guess I should count myself lucky that both my flights last week (AKL-NRT-AKL) didn't have an equipment change to the 763^

Well, I was on the AKL-NRT flight on last week's Wednesday flight and I was not as lucky as you:mad:

temete23 Jun 2, 2014 2:02 am

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT (Post 22962764)
Well, I was on the AKL-NRT flight on last week's Wednesday flight and I was not as lucky as you:mad:

I was on the Tuesday flight AKL-NRT,unlucky for you:p

Exleftseat Jun 2, 2014 2:07 am

Originally Posted by temete23 (Post 22963193)
I was on the Tuesday flight AKL-NRT,unlucky for you:p

I am happy for you^

trg2u Jun 6, 2014 3:54 am

Feeling a little "underwhelmed" for options early next week to get to Busan at short notice.
Options are transit via PVG or NRT. - in Y:td:
PVG is 772 & NRT 767
PVG is overnight flight. Not worth upgrading to Prem Econ.
NRT -day flight. Maybe worth trying for a J upgrade
Your thoughts?

libertyuk Jun 6, 2014 6:13 am

Originally Posted by trg2u (Post 22987243)
Feeling a little "underwhelmed" for options early next week to get to Busan at short notice.
Options are transit via PVG or NRT. - in Y:td:
PVG is 772 & NRT 767
PVG is overnight flight. Not worth upgrading to Prem Econ.
NRT -day flight. Maybe worth trying for a J upgrade
Your thoughts?

Presuming you don't want to take the obvious non-Star option of flying Korean, you can fly OZ (Asiana) via Sydney and get a high speed train from Inchon Airport to Busan from later this month, or get a separate domestic ticket on Korean. The other disadvantage is you need to fly to SYD the night before because the flight leaves too early for an arrival from NZ.

The other alternative is Air China via SYD/PEK

If you're committed to NZ, do NRT as a day flight. On 767 it isn't bad with the 2-3-2 seating esp if you can get a bulkhead, and bid for an upgrade.

Thai-Kiwi Jun 6, 2014 6:47 am

Originally Posted by libertyuk (Post 22987620)
Presuming you don't want to take the obvious non-Star option of flying Korean, you can fly OZ (Asiana) via Sydney and get a high speed train from Inchon Airport to Busan from later this month, or get a separate domestic ticket on Korean. The other disadvantage is you need to fly to SYD the night before because the flight leaves too early for an arrival from NZ.

The other alternative is Air China via SYD/PEK

If you're committed to NZ, do NRT as a day flight. On 767 it isn't bad with the 2-3-2 seating esp if you can get a bulkhead, and bid for an upgrade.

Concur comments regarding NZ options.

I flew WLG-SYD-ICN on QF (the SYD-ICN was OZ metal and QF codeshare) and was easy in the same day, which was required in my case (you could fly NZ/OZ). Alternative was WLG-AKL-ICN(KE), similarly possible same day.

For PUS, don't forget that a number of carriers fly into PUS such as TG, CX etc. Not sure how this goes from a cost perspective though. The KTX (train) is extremely efficient, so don't discard this.

Really, it all depends on what you are trying to achieve... ;)

Having been here (ICN) for 2 months, Korea has its great, and not-so-great, points. Balance is favourable so far though!

Cheers, TK

sbiddle Jun 6, 2014 1:16 pm

AKL to NRT is a day flight. I still find the 763 business experience a good one for a day flight if you don't want to sleep.