Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy awards

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G, Etihad Gold, LH Miles&More, Virgin Australia, Qatar, Hertz 5*, Best Western Gold
Premium Economy awards

Hi all,

This has been talked about already, probably, but I can't find it: can I redeem Aegean and/or Miles&More miles on an Air NZ Premium Economy seat??

My *A-award-charts only shows mileage for economy and business. Is Premium Economy considered 'economy' redemption-wise??

Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:43 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by eight10man
Hi all,
Is Premium Economy considered 'economy' redemption-wise??
Premium Economy is considered to be an class on its own on NZ.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 3:18 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Hi all,

This has been talked about already, probably, but I can't find it: can I redeem Aegean and/or Miles&More miles on an Air NZ Premium Economy seat??

My *A-award-charts only shows mileage for economy and business. Is Premium Economy considered 'economy' redemption-wise??

Thanks!
No and no.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G, Etihad Gold, LH Miles&More, Virgin Australia, Qatar, Hertz 5*, Best Western Gold
And what about the "Sky Couch"??

Can I upgrade my two award seats to a Sky Couch in some way, with miles or albeit with money??
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:06 pm

And what about the "Sky Couch"??

Can I upgrade my two award seats to a Sky Couch in some way, with miles or albeit with money??
If you can get two award seats on a single NZ flight, I'd count your self lucky. Then you could give NZ an call and see if they will allow you to pay to upgrade your booking to SkyCouch, although I wouldn't count on them allowing it.

What flight are you trying to get these awards on? its NZ 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 chances of being able to get an seat at all in unlike. NZ doesn't release many *A rewards seats, due to the fact they can sell almost every seat as revue on these services. Also as there own FF program is an any seat reward system (see http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/airpoints-flight-rewards). They don't need to make an award inventory available for this, as they are taken from revenue seat buckets.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Mmm.. Didn't know about that, but it does make sense.

I'm looking for awards as follows:
- 2x adults
- one-way economy (or Sky Coach..): PER-AKL-CHC on 14th November using new 787-9
- one-way business: CHC-AKL-PER on 30th November

First itinerary looks available on United's MileagePlus award-search website.
But the second date only shows economy awards available..

But I'll have to charge this across my Miles&More and Aegean miles (not United).
According to ITA Matrix it seems as if Air NZ has almost no fuel surcharges (14 AUD..)!
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:36 pm

Are you UA/Aeegen points really worth using on AKL-PER? you could be better just paying for AKL-PER in Cash.

e.g NZ currently has an deal on AKL-PER for $479 (seat only) or $509 (seat + bag).

Example:

2x Adults $957NZ
2x Adults Sky Couch Upgrade $399NZD
Total: $1360NZD
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Maybe..

But consider with Aegean and LH Miles&More award tickets are booked in 'zones' instead of distance-based awards, so Perth and Christchurch are all 'Oceania'.

So these intra-zone fares for one-way economy require only 12500 miles (Aegean), or 15000 miles (LH Miles&More).
This works out to be 3.44 CPM (AUD), or 2.86 CPM (AUD) respectively based on a AU$430 base fare according to ITA Matrix, and almost no fuel charge.

Even better value would be to go from PER to some pacific island (Fiji, Tahiti, Tonga etc) for the same amount of miles, but we'd rather go and visit NZ!
And best value would be to get a Business class award, but they don't seem to be available..
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:20 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Are you UA/Aeegen points really worth using on AKL-PER? you could be better just paying for AKL-PER in Cash.

e.g NZ currently has an deal on AKL-PER for $479 (seat only) or $509 (seat + bag).

Example:

2x Adults $957NZ
2x Adults Sky Couch Upgrade $399NZD
Total: $1360NZD
I would say yes as it would require the same amount of miles as SYD-AKL with the domestic flight also being a free add on. And you get the Works.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:47 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
What flight are you trying to get these awards on? its NZ 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 chances of being able to get an seat at all in unlike. NZ doesn't release many *A rewards seats, due to the fact they can sell almost every seat as revue on these services. Also as there own FF program is an any seat reward system (see http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/airpoints-flight-rewards). They don't need to make an award inventory available for this, as they are taken from revenue seat buckets.
That's not quite correct. It is not hard to find X-class inventory across the Pacific; and NZ9/10 have been the only way for the last 2-ish years to find I-class inventory to the USA (763 or 772).

The Tasman has been oddly broken for a while though - I'm really not sure what NZ is doing there.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by ajnz
The Tasman has been oddly broken for a while though - I'm really not sure what NZ is doing there.
Seeing it all as Oneups instead?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:39 am
Original Poster

its NZ 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 chances
NZ9/10
What are these numbers??

That's not quite correct. It is not hard to find X-class inventory across the Pacific; and NZ9/10 have been the only way for the last 2-ish years to find I-class inventory to the USA (763 or 772).
And what are X- and I-classes?

I would say yes as it would require the same amount of miles as SYD-AKL with the domestic flight also being a free add on. And you get the Works.
@Xiaotung: Do you mean the pointe are worth using, or to buy the ticket cash??
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:35 am
Original Poster

By the way, if Business Class award tickets arent available on the CHC-AKL-PER route, why not fly CHC-AKL-BKK-PER..??

I know this is about 12+ hrs more flying, but it's also enjoying that first-ever-business-class experience that much longer!
I'll double check in the relevant FFP forums whether this still requires same amount of miles to redeem.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:04 pm

By the way, if Business Class award tickets arent available on the CHC-AKL-PER route, why not fly CHC-AKL-BKK-PER..??

I know this is about 12+ hrs more flying, but it's also enjoying that first-ever-business-class experience that much longer!
I'll double check in the relevant FFP forums whether this still requires same amount of miles to redeem.
Another option would be to try CHC-PER-SIN on SQ, they fly a daily service out of CHC. Although ive heard award space isn't essay to come across.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
What are these numbers??

And what are X- and I-classes?

X and I aare the Air NZ classes for * economy and business rewards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.