Elite Priority One

Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Markhm
That makes my day!
She had to slum it with us common folk!

On the other hand, while I am no fan of Helen Clark's politics, if Air NZ was going to invite anyone to EP1, she should be top of the list, certainly one of the most influential New Zealanders in the world.

Better than some of the jumped up locals Pols and overpaid CEOs who probably populate this programme...
Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Better than some of the jumped up locals Pols and overpaid CEOs who probably populate this programme...
Or the 10/15 NZ staffers
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
she should be top of the list
I think John Key should be top of the EP1 list and can think of many more deserving people than HC. Having said that, she should be part of that status and the apparent fact that she isn't nor John Key makes me question what Air NZ are really doing with this new status class.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:11 pm

It has nothing to do with how famous you are or if your a politician. I know two people who have EP1. One is the CEO of a telco and the other manages that same companies travel spend.
What can JK or HC provide revenue wise... very little in reality.

In australia my old man was both chairmans lounge and ansett pass 15 years ago, kind of the same but better than EP1. He was also CEO of a big company. In ausie back then i would see politicians in those lounges all the time. But those politicians had choice between two airlines and what airline they chose added a certain status to the airline they chose. The same is not true in NZ. Whats JK going to do if he doesnt get EP1... fly jetstar? I think not.
So whay would NZ give him that status when it would provide no real benefit.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:20 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
That was the subtle point I was trying to make. NZ are saving this as a bribe for those who control large companies' travel spending. I would assume this is in return for some commitment of a certain large level of NZ $ spend. Nothing wrong with this, I guess, as it is NZ's way of rewarding corporate loyalty. However, I imagine the actual benefit of this falls to only one or two people in the company, which may not correlate at all with how much those individuals travel.

QF's CL instead seems to be more about looking after VIPs (which includes major CEOs, etc).
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by pbl22
That was the subtle point I was trying to make. NZ are saving this as a bribe for those who control large companies' travel spending. I would assume this is in return for some commitment of a certain large level of NZ $ spend. Nothing wrong with this, I guess, as it is NZ's way of rewarding corporate loyalty. However, I imagine the actual benefit of this falls to only one or two people in the company, which may not correlate at all with how much those individuals travel.

QF's CL instead seems to be more about looking after VIPs (which includes major CEOs, etc).
It's not really too surprising. As a corporate droid for a major MNC that spends a lot on travel, in the US United gives us a number of UGS nominations that get passed to senior execs - some of whom travel a lot, some do not. In Australia, we were given 5 QF CL memberships and they were given to the CEO, CFO, CTO, and two major account execs.

The rest of us who do the BIS don't tend to get there - although some folks do earn UGS (usually off last-minute US domestic travel).
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Waipara_Sam
What can JK or HC provide revenue wise... very little in reality.
Maybe they should have invited him!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...ok-at-airfares
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: NZ*G, United.
Originally Posted by pbl22
That was the subtle point I was trying to make. NZ are saving this as a bribe for those who control large companies' travel spending. I would assume this is in return for some commitment of a certain large level of NZ $ spend. Nothing wrong with this, I guess, as it is NZ's way of rewarding corporate loyalty. However, I imagine the actual benefit of this falls to only one or two people in the company
So, leads to some interesting questions to ask at shareholders or board meetings about the process by which the companies get best value on travel spend.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:00 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Actually, just realised today that my boss is in this "uber-exclusive-EP1-club".
Saw the fancy "carbon weave" luggage tag on his backpack today as he was heading out of the office, half the width/tag size as Koru/Gold/Elite tags.

I should really ask him what he thinks about it, he's not much of a plane/flyer geek though.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
Speaking to my friend last night. He is still not EP1 he was top 15 FF last year with NZ. Currently he is #10 FF with NZ and he is still not EP1.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
When flying back from LAX over the weekend saw three names on the manifest that had EO beside them which I guess are EP1 members. Many many Elites on the flight as well.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Originally Posted by brucelee
Speaking to my friend last night. He is still not EP1 he was top 15 FF last year with NZ. Currently he is #10 FF with NZ and he is still not EP1.
Roughly how many Status Points do you need to get to #10?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF Gold
Originally Posted by WLGNZ
When flying back from LAX over the weekend saw three names on the manifest that had EO beside them which I guess are EP1 members. Many many Elites on the flight as well.
EO is apparently Elite Partner
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:30 pm

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
Originally Posted by Trumpkin
Roughly how many Status Points do you need to get to #10?
Not sure but my mate flys at least once a month on average to San Fran or Asia in BP.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:13 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by brucelee
Not sure but my mate flys at least once a month on average to San Fran or Asia in BP.
That is only 100-150k miles a year. Even in business class it doesn't sound anywhere near enough for top 10 FF.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.