Elite Priority One

Old Jun 18, 2014, 8:02 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Really?
I find it hard to believe they would go to all this bother to create and publicise this then to only offer it to such a small number. IMO it would only alienate their top 100 if they were not included.
I failed to understand the need of such a level from the beginning and what more value they could create with an airline that doesn't even offer First Class. If I were a top flyer I probably wouldn't have the time to waste on airline experiences, or I would rather choose an airline with First cabin.

Last edited by Xiaotung; Jun 18, 2014 at 8:54 pm
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Isn't this what golf clubs were invented for?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
If they are going to make a separate room for more frequent flyers, why not have a room for Elites only (+ 1 guest, allowed only if there is space). That way, you are sort of making a Flagship or First Class type lounge with hopefully a much quieter space than the zoo that AKL dom usually is. It would also be used (and hence not a waste) whereas it sounds like EP1 is even more exclusive than the Order of New Zealand.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: AIRNZ Gold elite
Room for elites?

Originally Posted by pbl22
If they are going to make a separate room for more frequent flyers, why not have a room for Elites only (+ 1 guest, allowed only if there is space). That way, you are sort of making a Flagship or First Class type lounge with hopefully a much quieter space than the zoo that AKL dom usually is. It would also be used (and hence not a waste) whereas it sounds like EP1 is even more exclusive than the Order of New Zealand.
Would about 20% of the lounge users be elite ?
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:40 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
That existed at AKL international terminal, briefly for the period between NZ dropping F and converting the F lounge to a crew room. Catering was identical to the main lounge but a bit quieter and more space.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: CX, NZ
AirNZ are simply playing mindgames with their HVCs. Observe the rapidly mounting desire to be invited into this club and the thinly veiled indignation at the lack of respective invitations.

This will play out similarly to Facebook, Google+ and the enduringly naff Google-Glass. Initially, the Elite lounge will be invite only. EXCLUSIVE. They may use this period to iron out any kinks and complete the new lounges. Invitees will be unlikely to complain about hick-ups as they'll just be chuffed to be "in". Non-invitees will champ at the bit to gain access to this exclusive and rarified environment.

AirNZ will gauge demand and usage. Assuming this is sufficient, the elite lounge will eventually be opened up to a defined price/status point once they've built the requisite infrastructure, cache and hype.

This is turning out to be a rare master-stroke of marketing on AirNZ's part.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 3:51 am

Programs: Air NZ Silver.Qantas.Emerates
Looks like a lot of GEs have there noses out of joint because they have not been invited into the new EP1 lounge. By having only Elites in I presume you mean that all the Gold/Koru members are the animals in the zoo! How elite of you. I find the domestic lounge vibrant and more accessible for a lot more people just like the one up system where more people have an opportunity to upgrade! I for one see a world class airline giving more opportunities to a lot more people.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uakmoraj13
I find the domestic lounge vibrant and more accessible for a lot more people just like the one up system where more people have an opportunity to upgrade! I for one see a world class airline giving more opportunities to a lot more people.
However, you need to remember that the reason airlines have loyalty programs is so that the most frequent travellers get the best benefits. If everyone was treated the same why would you bother being a loyal customer.

As an Elite myself I do think NZ could provide better benefits to us. If i'm going out off my way and paying thousands of dollars a year to fly them, and I receive the same benefits as a Koru member, Im not happy!
Old Jun 23, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Looks like a lot of GEs have there noses out of joint because they have not been invited into the new EP1 lounge. By having only Elites in I presume you mean that all the Gold/Koru members are the animals in the zoo! How elite of you. I find the domestic lounge vibrant and more accessible for a lot more people just like the one up system where more people have an opportunity to upgrade! I for one see a world class airline giving more opportunities to a lot more people.
Fair enough - you are entitled to your view. We clearly have different reasons for lounge access. For me, it is a quiet respite where I can peacefully get some work done before a flight. For you, it is "vibrant", for me it is "difficult to find a seat".

As WellingtonFlyer said, some of us spend large amounts of money each year on NZ and probably feel that we don't really get the extra benefit. Is that elitist? Possibly. But I get far more extra benefits being QF Platinum (as opposed to QF Gold) than being NZ*E (as opposed to NZ*G).

Oh, and by the way, I will never be EP1 because I hardly ever fly NZ internationally. And that doesn't bother me one bit (just like it doesn't bother me that I will never be QF Platinum One, either). I don't really think too many of us here are upset about not being invited to EP1 - the threshold is so high as to be ridiculous, if the rumours are to be believed. We are, though, very curious of a new class of status, of which no-one on this forum seems to be a member.

But if NZ are building a separate lounge in WLG and AKL dom for (supposedly) 6-8 people, that seems a complete waste of money.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Fair enough - you are entitled to your view. We clearly have different reasons for lounge access. For me, it is a quiet respite where I can peacefully get some work done before a flight. For you, it is "vibrant", for me it is "difficult to find a seat".

As WellingtonFlyer said, some of us spend large amounts of money each year on NZ and probably feel that we don't really get the extra benefit. Is that elitist? Possibly. But I get far more extra benefits being QF Platinum (as opposed to QF Gold) than being NZ*E (as opposed to NZ*G).

Oh, and by the way, I will never be EP1 because I hardly ever fly NZ internationally. And that doesn't bother me one bit (just like it doesn't bother me that I will never be QF Platinum One, either). I don't really think too many of us here are upset about not being invited to EP1 - the threshold is so high as to be ridiculous, if the rumours are to be believed. We are, though, very curious of a new class of status, of which no-one on this forum seems to be a member.

But if NZ are building a separate lounge in WLG and AKL dom for (supposedly) 6-8 people, that seems a complete waste of money.
I agree. Some people want "vibrant", I usually want a quiet place to sit and work, check my e-mails or read, and I don't think that is "elitist", it is just different personality types. The lounges often don't provide that currently.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: NZ KC/ NZ*G
Fair comments.

The EP1s don't really get much at all on domestic flights, simply there's hardly any service. It looks like the EP1s are given more by airnz, but not really to be honest.

Last edited by AKL/XIY; Jun 24, 2014 at 4:34 pm
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:01 pm

Programs: QF Platinum; NZ Gold
CEO of Fonterra is Elite One (and only recently)
He travels a lot (but not solely Air NZ) and doubtful greater than $150k pa
Imagine he got it for his influence
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:21 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by happytobehome
CEO of Fonterra is Elite One (and only recently)
He travels a lot (but not solely Air NZ) and doubtful greater than $150k pa
Imagine he got it for his influence
Interesting. I wonder if Icebreaker CEO Rob Fyfe has been invited.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 4:05 am

Programs: NZ*E, QF Gold
I know that Jeremy Moon ex-CEO of Icebreaker is a Elite Priority One. I saw his new tags on his carry on luggage. So I would assume Rob Fyfe would also have the same status.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:37 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand
EP1

Hmmmm, I just don't know if the loss to Air NZ through high-spending customers getting pi##ed at the treatment is worth the buzz they create around exclusivity.

I've written about what it would really take to make us HVCs feel special (most recently here - http://www.forbes.com/sites/benkepes...opportunities/ )

So many of us HVCs also have significant experience with technology and tools that would allow Air NZ to make a difference to our perception of them. Stupid little things like the fact that I've flown Air NZ longhaul on my birthday half a dozen times and it would be so, so easy to have a system that flagged that to the FSM. Or the fact that the couple of times I've taken my wife to the US on one of my business trips and been talking about it on social media beforehand - flagging that to the team so they could do something nice costs bugger all but pays massive dividends.

A silly example.... the annual loyalty offer (for those crazy enough to travel sufficiently to clock the renewal levels a couple of times) comes through each year. It's a lovely offer and means a lot. But the fact that I live in Chch and the offers are generally for Auckland or Wellington, and the fact that I've said repeatedly that something nice in Chch that I could share with my wife would be awesome. It feels like a sense of entitlement but really i'd love to help Air NZ get more for the investment they make in us....

Or the fact that I really like a glass of aromatic with dinner or dessert wine with my dessert. Giving the FAs the leeway to give it to me even if I'm flying in PE and not biz... would pay dividends far in excess of the cost....

All of these things are readily achieved through technology. There are a handful of AirNZ HVCs who do this stuff for a living, and we'd love to help. Hopefully one day they ask us to...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.