Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Flying and connecting AKL-NAN-VLI on NZ and NF?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

I'm interested in flying from Auckland to Port Vila on June 26.

I can't find a direct flight that day; but it appears NZ flies from AKL-NAN arriving at 1 pm, then Air Vanuatu flies from Nadi to Port Vila at 2:40 p.m. That means it would be a 1:40 connection in Nadi.

Is this a doable connection? Would NZ interline my bag to Port Vila?

For some reason sites like kayak and skyscanner aren't offering the option to book the itinerary on a single ticket, so I would have to book it as two tickets.
Is this a bad idea? Any advice appreciated.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: NZ Koru
NZ wouldn't interline your bags without it being booked as a single ticket. They have a pretty firm policy on this, even if its a partner airline. Basically the check-in system also locks the staff out of being able to do this.

1h40m is not along enough to connect in NAN on different tickets, the airport isn't known for its ability to do things quickly e.g the airport runs on 'Island Time'. Once you had claimed you bags the check-in for the NF flight would have closed.

You could try going to your local travel agent, they might be able to book it as single ticket.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

What if I had only hand luggage? Is that doable? Do I have to go through immigration in Nadi? The NF website says that check in closes strictly 60 minutes before international departures, would I be out of luck if I couldn't get to the gate/transfer desk to check in 60 minutes early?

Separate question: Would NZ interline my bags on two separate NZ tickets? If I don't go through Nadi I may be combining an award ticket to AKL with a paid ticket to VLI, that's why I ask.

Last edited by jphripjah; Jan 9, 2014 at 11:21 pm Reason: `
Old Jan 9, 2014, 11:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver, NZ Jade, QF Bronze, A Club Platinum, Hhonors Silver
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Would NZ interline my bags on two separate NZ tickets? If I don't go through Nadi I may be combining an award ticket to AKL with a paid ticket to VLI, that's why I ask.
NZ refuse to interline ANY split tickets - even NZ to NZ (not that I can see how that is possible AKL/NAN/VLI as you have indicated you are looking to do)

Last edited by deconz; Jan 9, 2014 at 11:41 pm Reason: punctuation
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, NZ*E, PC Platinum RA
Originally Posted by deconz
NZ refuse to interline ANY split tickets - even NZ to NZ (not that I can see how that is possible AKL/NAN/VLI as you have indicated you are looking to do)
Yup, they even refused to interline a split ticket AKL-HKG HKG-LHR which was all on the exact same NZ metal. That was fun!
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
Off topic sligtly, I have always used the Bus Class lane at Nadi immigration/security (even when not flying Business). Is this the norm for other G and GE pax?
Old Jan 12, 2014, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Is the 1:40 connection on separate tickets reasonable if I don't check luggage?

Last edited by jphripjah; Jan 12, 2014 at 2:38 am
Old Jan 12, 2014, 11:33 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Is the 1:40 connection on separate tickets reasonable if I don't check luggage?
Possible, but if flight to NAN is late you could misconnect. (You'd need to clear immigration and check in landside before check in closes.)
Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Uh oh. Are you sure I need to clear immigration and check in landside? I thought I had read recently that you can transit in Nadi without clearing immigration, would they not let me do that if I have separate tickets and no boarding pass in hand?

I'm not going to risk it if I have to clear immigration and check in landside; Air Vanuatu's website says they close check in for international flights an hour in advance, that's cutting it too close.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:51 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Uh oh. Are you sure I need to clear immigration and check in landside? I thought I had read recently that you can transit in Nadi without clearing immigration, would they not let me do that if I have separate tickets and no boarding pass in hand?

I'm not going to risk it if I have to clear immigration and check in landside; Air Vanuatu's website says they close check in for international flights an hour in advance, that's cutting it too close.
This is my experience with international transit at NAN many times, although not in the past year.

While there is international transit, there are no means to print boarding passes airside. At transfer security they'll ask to see your boarding pass, and if you don't have it then you'll be directed to pass through immigration.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.