Search

What to do with RU's.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ G, QF Bronze
What to do with RU's.

Hi All

For the more experienced frequent flyers, if you had the choice of using 2 RU's to:

1. Upgrade from Y to PE AKL/HKG return on 772

or

2. Upgrade from Y to BP on one leg and stay in Y on the other

which would you do?

I have experienced neither PE nor BP, thus far.

Thanks
Old Jan 7, 2014, 2:58 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
BP one way, the PE seats are no better than an exit row in Economy in my opinion.

I did this going to Japan recently, Exit row on the flight up (day flight), and BP on the overnight leg home.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:47 am

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
+1 to above

Definitely worth experiencing BP on long-haul. Especially if are you not particularly tall or wide and can bear Y. I personally don't feel PE is significantly better than Y sleep wise.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold
What to do with RU's.

As a GE I'd use the 2 RUs on the most heavily booked leg to upgrade from Y to BP, or if there was a leg I really needed to sleep on I'd use them on that. Then I'd chuck in a GE airpoints upgrade for the other leg to try and up the Y leg to PE. (In fact this was exactly what I did when I went to HKG a few weeks ago)

If I was Gold I'd use the 2 RUs on the leg I needed the most rest (or if a holiday - the most pampering!), and then maybe try a OneUp bid for the other leg to PE.

Definitely try BP on the 772 though, it is totally worth it. Enjoy your flights!

Last edited by DomesticGoddess; Jan 7, 2014 at 8:09 am
Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
Just did this on the HKG to AKL on Sunday night. Wife and I used 2 RU to go from Y to BP. Did this on the off chance at check in. Need to ask the NZ supervisor as the check in agent at the desk was of no help as they have to call the NZ call centre if its the weekend.

BP is preferred to PE on a 772.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Also the 772 now has the mattress, so its very comfortable. I slept 10 hours back from Tokyo.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:34 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Besides endorsing what the others have said, I'd add a couple of subtleties to it.

Use the 2 RUs for the outbound flight, because if they don't clear because loadings are full, you can always use them for the inbound. Otherwise, use either Expertflyer or do a dummy booking and find out how busy BP is on each flight, and pick the less busy one to increase the odds of the RUs clearing.

Of course, if you get it on the outbound, you'll find the inbound painfully disappointing by contrast, but still I completely agree with the others. Using the RUs on the 777-200 PE is a waste. A bit of legroom, recline and better meal on two flights is nothing compared to BP on one. Besides, you can always do a not too pricey OneUp for the other flight to PE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.