Wiki Posts
Search

SA Gold Lounge card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G, AA CK
SA Gold Lounge card

Do ANZ still issue these - I got one for 2012/13 but now expired and never received a new one (nor did I ever have to use it)?
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:47 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Yep, got my new one last night.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:40 pm

Programs: NZ*E & DL Minion. Former QF & EK
Not relevant for much longer, but US lounges ask for it.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:44 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
It's useful for when your name and expiry date rub off your main Airpoints card - which they always seem to do after a few months - when you wish to enter an overseas lounge. And yes, I have always had to show mine at US lounges (and UA, too, I think).
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:56 pm

Programs: DL, UA
SA Gold Lounge card

these are issued upon qualification or the anniversary ticking over. without it, some lounges particular USA side will restrict access despite being able to readily verify that your NZ account is SA Gold. this is as I understand due to them presently needing to swipe the SA Lounge card that charges the corresponding carrier to which your gold membership relates. murphys law has come up trumps for me each time I have mistakenly left it in my office - I get asked for it and refused entry. typically when I have it with me, it isn't asked for. go figure!
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:13 am

My experience with SQ (despite not needing it as also traveling in C on a star carrier), US and UA (domestic US lounge rules) is that neither my NZ card nor Star Alliance Gold Lounge card can be read by their system when swiped. Kind of defeats the purpose of carrying these Lounge cards.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:33 am

Programs: NZ*E & DL Minion. Former QF & EK
UA lounges typically accept my *G status based on my BP or at most my NZ card. Very rarely do I get asked to present my *G card.

US lounges, on the other hand, need to swipe the *G to charge the visit to NZ (as has been stated above).
Old Dec 12, 2013, 4:34 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by Saxphile
US have announced that even after they exit Star in March 2014, the relationship with NZ will remain. I don't think elite benefits will stay though but we will see.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 1:31 am

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
I don't think elite benefits will stay though but we will see.
no - they won't. on 30 March 2014 - US Airways depart the *A. So from 31 March 2014 - if you're a *G with any airline you no longer have access to any *A benefits on US Airways, period.
Where they are retaining a relationship with NZ is for their US Airways Dividend Miles members - who will still be able to accrue and redeem miles on NZ flights, but nothing further. US Airways members however, as at 31 March 2014 will no longer be able to access any *A benefits (e.g. lounge access, additional luggage allowance etc) so why a US Airways Dividend Miles member would choose to fly with NZ beyond this date is likely only going to be based on choice limitations (e.g. NZ is the only carrier available to them on a given route), rather than actively choosing NZ as a carrier of preference.

e.g. a NZ Airpoints member (or any other *A member) flying with US Airways after 31 March 2014 will have no reciprocal *A benefits.

A US Airways Dividend Mile member flying with NZ after 31 March 2014 will still earn miles and be able to redeem them, but they would have no access to *A benefits, as they'll no longer be *A members.

A US Airways Dividend Mile member say flying between AKL and SYD would be better served doing so on QF after 31 March 2014 as there they'll earn miles and get OW benefits too.

Last edited by T-15.01; Dec 13, 2013 at 1:32 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 13, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NZ*E, PC Platinum RA
Originally Posted by Saxphile
I've had the exact opposite experience, every time. My NZ*E card has had a pounding entering UA/US lounges the past few years and I've never been asked for it. In fact I don't even know where my lounge card is as I've never carried it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.