Search

United Domestic lounge access

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2013, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold, NZ *G, TK Elite *G
Smile United Domestic lounge access

Hi,
Planning flights to fill in the dots of an upcoming USA trip, and came across this:

"Access to United Red Carpet Clubs, US Airways Clubs and US Airways Envoy Lounges in the USA is only available when presenting a boarding pass in conjunction with international travel"

https://airnz.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2776

Am i reading this right? So, if i book say a standalone LAX-LAS flight on UA i am not entitled to lounge access?
Isn't that a breach of Star policies?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:32 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Hmmm, not sure what that's doing on the Airpoints site.

Unless there has been a *very* recent rule change, no this does not apply to you if you are still Star Gold on NZ, as your profile suggests. That rule applies only to United and US Airways's *own* elites who, unbelievably enough, have to purchase Club membership if they want to access UA's crappy lounges on purely domestic itineraries, while all foreign *G cardholders get in for free.

This is a key reason why my Air Canada gold status was so useful to me when I spent most of the last five years living in the US
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:37 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Here are the official lounge access rules on the Star Alliance website:

Star Alliance Gold Customers Travelling in Any Class:
  • Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned lounges with the Star Alliance Gold logo at the entrance.
  • Customer must present proof of Star Alliance Gold level status via a valid frequent flyer program Star Alliance Gold level card or other valid indication of Star Alliance Gold level status
  • Customer must also present a boarding pass for travel on a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport
  • Customer is entitled to one guest
  • United and US Airways Star Alliance Gold customers may only access the United Clubs and US Airways Clubs within the U.S. when travelling in conjunction with a Star Alliance international flight.
Note that the final restriction applies only to UA and US elites. Some very sloppy copy/pasting on the part of Airpoints.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:41 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by pepsi1336
Hi,
Planning flights to fill in the dots of an upcoming USA trip, and came across this:

"Access to United Red Carpet Clubs, US Airways Clubs and US Airways Envoy Lounges in the USA is only available when presenting a boarding pass in conjunction with international travel"

https://airnz.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2776

Am i reading this right? So, if i book say a standalone LAX-LAS flight on UA i am not entitled to lounge access?
Isn't that a breach of Star policies?
Yes, you're not entitled and it is because the US FFPs grant lounge access based on Membership of their lounge clubs, not FF status.

United Mileage Plus members with the equivalent of *G status (Premier Gold and above) do NOT get access to United Club lounges as of right on domestic flights. The can JOIN United Club for a fee (discounted for those with higher status), and get access, although I'm unsure why anyone would bother, given it is US$400 for a Premier 1K to sustain membership with the discount.

So it isn't a breach of Star policies, because the airlines are offering parallel access to other *A FFPs.

Of course you are fine getting access if you are connecting onto an international flight, even on separate tickets. I found this flying PDX-SFO on UA, with a separate ticket on NZ SFO-AKL, I was happily granted access to the PDX UA lounge after showing evidence of the NZ ticket (and my bag had been tagged all the way through, which NZ wont reciprocate with separate tickets).
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:45 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
NZ website has been saying that for at least the last decade. Apparently these people have difficulties understanding *A rules.

When I first achieved NZ*G status years ago I had believed that and never bothered to go to the UA lounges. I later found out about the truth in this forum, so good that you asked.

So just to clarify, with your NZ*G, you will have access to all UA and US lounges regardless if you have an international connection. The restriction only applies to UA/US*G.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:48 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
I was refused access in a UA lounge on a US domestic sector with Gold status going on a domestic leg, so took it to be as I said, and was asked last time if I had an international connection.

So apologies, I'm wrong - although you ought to print out the Star rules to show the lounge dragon.

I spent 5 minutes arguing with a lounge dragon at EWR when going on an international flight, because her machine couldn't read my NZ card, and to be confusing I was crediting the flight to BD.

TBH you're not missing much, at any of them. So good luck, but don't worry if you get refused.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:53 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by libertyuk
I was refused access in a UA lounge on a US domestic sector with Gold status going on a domestic leg, so took it to be as I said, and was asked last time if I had an international connection.

So apologies, I'm wrong - although you ought to print out the Star rules to show the lounge dragon.

I spent 5 minutes arguing with a lounge dragon at EWR when going on an international flight, because her machine couldn't read my NZ card, and to be confusing I was crediting the flight to BD.

TBH you're not missing much, at any of them. So good luck, but don't worry if you get refused.
Never had any problems over the years anywhere I visited in the States. These included all UA, CO, US lounges. The only time I had a problem was in GUM flying Continental Express where the lounge dragon insisted that Continental Express was not part of Star. Nowadays they don't even insist on seeing the card as long as your status is in the booking. All they do is scan your boarding pass.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold, NZ *G, TK Elite *G
Thanks everyone for the clarification.
Seems the NZ website needs updating as i'm sure it has confused a lot of people!
Old Dec 4, 2013, 6:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Always best to look at the website for the carrier whose lounge you intend to use. UA makes it clear that a *G (non-UA/US) has lounge access on *A flight. NZ has shorted its own customers.

Worth remembering that it is NZ which reimburses UA for Club use by its *G's, so maybe it has an incentive to make the process less transperent.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:20 am
formerly kiwi_norway

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC
This is interesting. I'd always taken the rules as no *G gets access to US lounges on domestic only tickets. Nice to have it clarified. Looking forward to my next argument with a UA lounge receptionist. :-)

That said, as others mention, if you don't gain access to a UA or US lounge, you really aren't missing out on anything (anything) exciting, at all.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by kiwi_norway
This is interesting. I'd always taken the rules as no *G gets access to US lounges on domestic only tickets. Nice to have it clarified. Looking forward to my next argument with a UA lounge receptionist. :-)
It's rare to have to argue it. The usual problem is the NZ*G card will not swipe, so you really need "The Gold Lounge Card" or whatever it is called these days.

On the odd occasion I've had a slight quibble (crediting to UA, using NZ to enter) I've changed the FFP to NZ, then changed it back - no problem and no confusion around entry.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
I've never had a problem at UA or US lounges on many domestic flights. The only time I had a bit of a disagreement with them was when I tried to take both my wife and young daughter in (which is never a problem at most *A lounges). US was a definite no, whereas UA reluctantly said yes.

In terms of lounges, they are rubbish, but can be a pleasant refuge from the terminal outside.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbl22
I've never had a problem at UA or US lounges on many domestic flights. The only time I had a bit of a disagreement with them was when I tried to take both my wife and young daughter in (which is never a problem at most *A lounges). US was a definite no, whereas UA reluctantly said yes.

In terms of lounges, they are rubbish, but can be a pleasant refuge from the terminal outside.
i was in the ord UA lounge yesterday. better off outside than in the lounge. a few years ago, purchased a full fare first class ticket(about $2000 us) from bwi to some island in hawaii. no lounge access with an F ticket on domestic.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 2:36 pm

True that the lounges aren't up to much, but they are useful for:
1) Somewhere semi-comfortable to sit, with power points
2) Free G&Ts (the free wine is undrinkable, the free beer is the type that gives American beer a bad name) and soft drinks
3) Free wifi
4) Most importantly: easy access to agents to deal with rebooking / changes / seat allocations etc.

I never really had any problem getting in with my AC or NZ *G cards.

Originally Posted by slawecki
i was in the ord UA lounge yesterday. better off outside than in the lounge. a few years ago, purchased a full fare first class ticket(about $2000 us) from bwi to some island in hawaii. no lounge access with an F ticket on domestic.
It is bizarre, isn't it. So much about the UA set up is based on the assumption that almost nobody actually pays for domestic first class. The only exception is the p.s flights between JFK and the west coast, where for the past few years you have been allowed lounge access with business class (or first, when it existed) ticket.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Access is not a problem.
Was in the SFO UA lounge today. No issues getting entry. And have not had major issues any time recently.
Safe travels.
WLGNZ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.