Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

When are recognition upgrades "consumed"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2013, 4:30 pm
AW7
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G, QF PLAT

I have just moved from G to GE, effective 1st Dec. I have travel booked for Jan and have applied for a recognition upgrade which has been deducted from my Airpoints account.

My question is: was this RU "consumed" at the time I made the application, or not until it is redeemed (if it clears) at the time of travel?

Or put another way: if I leave that RU request in the system (and it clears) will it be deducted from my new GE allocation or are my new RUs "safe" because I put in the request prior to changing status (and will therefore be deducted from my previous *G allocation)?

I have reviewed airpoints T&C but can't find a definitive answer. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 5:08 pm

Consumed when redeemed (cleared) at time of travel.

Your additional RU from new GE status is untouched until you apply it to another flight or resets itself back to 2, following requalification period (or downgrade to G).
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:52 pm

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
as above. the RU is taken off your remaining list right away once you apply for the RU. if your successful then happydays however if it does not clear and you have moved up to a GE after the flight date you will loose it, it will not be refunded.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 7:30 pm
AW7
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. I'm not so concerned about losing it if it doesn't clear, but I am about it clearing and being deducted from my new GE allocation (as GE status will be effective at time of travel) rather than from my old (and otherwise expired) G allocation. If this was the case I would withdraw the upgrade request (assuming you can do this?) and use it for something else (its currently submitted against AKL-NAN, but would much rather try to use for long-haul later on).

I am reading your responses as saying if it clears it will not be deducted from GE allocation (i.e. new RUs are safe?). Cheers.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 7:39 pm

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
Originally Posted by AW7
Thanks for your responses. I'm not so concerned about losing it if it doesn't clear, but I am about it clearing and being deducted from my new GE allocation (as GE status will be effective at time of travel) rather than from my old (and otherwise expired) G allocation. If this was the case I would withdraw the upgrade request (assuming you can do this?) and use it for something else (its currently submitted against AKL-NAN, but would much rather try to use for long-haul later on).

I am reading your responses as saying if it clears it will not be deducted from GE allocation (i.e. new RUs are safe?). Cheers.
correct. if you allocate one now to a flight and you are currently G you will see your balance drop by one now. it will not take another one off at time of flight. just make sure you apply them well before you make the change to GE.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:02 pm
AW7
Original Poster

Excellent. Thanks guys for your help
Old Nov 6, 2013, 3:24 am

Programs: DL, UA

strange...I have applied 2 RUs to forward bookings. initially they dropped off my account and I have been confirmed in the upgraded classes on those future flights. But days later the RUs both showed up again in my RU balance even though I have already 'consumed' them. Their reappearing hasn't affected my confirmation of upgrades which are still there so I wonder if I just have mysteriously been credited another 2 or are they just 'showing' until the flights take place?
Old Nov 6, 2013, 1:59 pm

If you are certain it did not come from re-qualification, report to NZ immediately so that they can fix it...LOL
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by poopbunny
If you are certain it did not come from re-qualification, report to NZ immediately so that they can fix it...LOL
I am inclined to hold off! My upgrades are confirmed already but RUs mysteriously back in my account. If it is a glitch then I would rather not raise the alarm!
Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints - Gold Elite, Velocity - Platinum, Qantas - Gold
Originally Posted by cakiwi
I am inclined to hold off! My upgrades are confirmed already but RUs mysteriously back in my account. If it is a glitch then I would rather not raise the alarm!

I think you missed the sarcasm.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:34 am

:-) ok
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by smeags_nz
I think you missed the sarcasm.
Sarcasm...noooo!!

Tongue-in-cheek, maybe
Old Nov 7, 2013, 4:58 pm
AW7
Original Poster

Sorry, another question: can I use my GE status to confirm gold upgrades?

By way of background: by the end of next week I will have five sectors booked which are upgradeable (i.e. sectors with more than one class). All are currently showing upgrade availability (they are all far enough out). I currently have one *g RU lodged against one (the only one currently booked). My plan was to use the 2 new GE upgrades on 2 of the upcoming sectors, and buy standby upgrades with airpoints on the 2 others and try to confirm all 4. I assumed I would have to wait for the *G upgrade to clear 72 hours out (even though I will be GE at the time), and I would forfeit the second *g RU because I would be more happy paying and getting it confirmed.

Is this understanding correct, or will I be able to apply both my *g RU's (prior to changing tier), then confirm them early as a GE?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:25 pm

they take on the status at the time of their application into the system. If you enter a RU today that say for instance doesn't clear, and you are Silver - then you pick up Silver status/priority on the clearance 'ladder'. If tomorrow you become Gold - nothing happens to the RU in the system waiting for confirmed clearance.

But let's say you put in your Gold RUs for other flights. They then take on your Gold status. Same goes for if you cross into GE. Each RU (assuming it hasn't cleared at the time) is in the queue at the status level of the member who applied for them at the time of their application/lodgement.

Caveat here is if they're gifted, I believe GE can gift their RU and the recipient picks up the GE status for the purpose of clearing priority.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.