Wiki Posts
Search

Flexi Plus Question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2013, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints SILVER, KC
Flexi Plus Question

I have booked heaps of Flexi Plus fares in the past, but I have never changed any, so any help is appreciated...

My scenario is:

My flight from CHT arrives in at 11.45am. I then have booked an onwards flight to ROT. As flights from CHT to the mainland are quite often late ect. I don't want to run the risk of missing my onwards NZ flight. There is a flight to ROT departing 1hr10 after I arrive for $320 (flexiplus). Then there is another flight 4hrs after I arrive for $249 (flexiplus). I am booked on the $249 fare as that gives me a good buffer incase anything happens.

My question is, if everything goes to plan, everything ontime, can I change my $249 flexi flight departing later, to the $320 flexi which leaves earlier free of charge? Or do I have to pay the difference?

Cheers
Old Sep 21, 2013, 4:21 am

As the Air NZ website states for a Flexiplus:
No service fees or fare difference will apply to flight changes made at the airport on the day of departure where changing to an earlier or later flight** departing that day. Flight changes are subject to seat availability

** With the same origin and destination within New Zealand only. Please note that we are unable to change your flight if you have already checked in your baggage for your scheduled flight.

I have flown through Auckland many times on Flexiplus fares and have had no problems with going on an earlier flight free, but it all depends on seat availability on the day. So if the earlier flight you want to go on is very full it is unlikely they will be able to change you onto that flight.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 5:44 am

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Providing there are seats available, you should have no trouble changing to an earlier flight and will not have to pay any fare difference. I generally make such changes in the lounge.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: NZ*G, TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels AdvantagePlus Platinum
With the Flexi fares, there is no change or fare difference payable if it is done at the airport. I discovered this the hard way when I was running late to a meeting on a work trip but was passing through the airport area - Thought there might have been a possibility that I might make the flight but ended up making the change over the phone and had to pay the fare difference despite it being a Flexi fare.

In hindsight I should have just made the change earlier that day at the airport and saved all the hassle... but something for next time
Old Sep 21, 2013, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Snap! Change indeed has to be made at the airport.

I had flexi fare DUD-WLG laste weekend, departing at 7:20pm and routing via CHC. I figured I'd change to an earlier flight once I had finished catching up with lads at Uni. It was the cheapest flexi at $244.

On the morning of travel, I tried the call centre as I thought if I could change via phone it would maximise time time downtown. Call centre was happy to make the change to the 4:20pm flight but I'd have to pay the fare difference. I noted the fare was Flexi and allowed same days changes, but no dice -I then said I guess that I have to actually front at the airport per T&C (and I was happy to do so) - she said 'up to me' but was certain they'd charge fare difference there too.

Of course, at the airport everything was per T&C and they didn't charge me a bean and I was rebooked on to a slightly later direct flight.

I was surprised at how poorly informed the phone customer service person was.

Final point, the changed flight posted 16 APD within 24 hours, but had to make a manual claim for the 10 APD including emailing in a scan of the BP. Staff were apologetic and stated the systems was often 'clunky' in these situations. I presume she meant my changed flight on the same day was beyond the capacity of the IT system to handle.....

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Sep 21, 2013 at 2:54 pm
Old Sep 21, 2013, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints SILVER, KC
Thanks for your help guys. I've booked flexis before, but have just not changed them.

I have booked the later $249 flight to ROT. Better to be safe than sorry. Wouldn't before the first time a flight from CHT has been delayed and I've missed my onwards NZ GAS/SS flights.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 9:46 pm

Programs: NZ*S & Koru, QF, VA, Accor, Marriot
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi

Final point, the changed flight posted 16 APD within 24 hours, but had to make a manual claim for the 10 APD including emailing in a scan of the BP. Staff were apologetic and stated the systems was often 'clunky' in these situations. I presume she meant my changed flight on the same day was beyond the capacity of the IT system to handle.....
Interesting. I've never had a problem with the APD or SP posting, but bizarre things show in the mPass app pre-flight after making an airport change. Suggests to me their system doesn't cope all that well with these changes at all...
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by samnz
Interesting. I've never had a problem with the APD or SP posting, but bizarre things show in the mPass app pre-flight after making an airport change. Suggests to me their system doesn't cope all that well with these changes at all...
Yep, I could almost have forgiven if the system perhaps. Credited 10 SC and 0 APD as if the changed flight have been wrongly turned into, say, a GAS fare class.

But I simply can't understand how how the full SC can post but no APD. Anyway, the manual credit solved the problem...
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:11 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Am looking to book DUD-AKL flexi fare for next Sun...If I book a direct flight, am I limited to changing to only direct flights....similarly, if I book via CHC, am I able to change to a direct flight. Reason I ask, it that there are only 3 direct flights, so they are quite far apart, but there are numerous ones in between via CHC to change too.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brenrox
Am looking to book DUD-AKL flexi fare for next Sun...If I book a direct flight, am I limited to changing to only direct flights....similarly, if I book via CHC, am I able to change to a direct flight. Reason I ask, it that there are only 3 direct flights, so they are quite far apart, but there are numerous ones in between via CHC to change too.
No, don't believe so on the first point (direct to indirect). On the second query, If you book indirect (say via CHC) , then no problem changing to direct as I did exactly this last week.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 1:58 am

Programs: NZ*E, QF Gold
Originally Posted by brenrox
I've changed a direct CHC-TRG flight to a CHC-WLG-TRG flight at the airport on a flexi fare so seems like if you shld be good to change to any flight that's available regardless on routing
Old May 3, 2018, 8:35 pm

Sandy -

Good afternoon
I am going to CHCH for a operation on my eye 21.05.18 and they said if they put gas in my eye re a tear then cannot fly home too dangerous so will have to go by car.
My question is if I book a flexi fare coming home and cant use it can I get refunded or you can reuse at a later date??

Cheer
Sandy
Old May 3, 2018, 8:41 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Neiman
Good afternoon
I am going to CHCH for a operation on my eye 21.05.18 and they said if they put gas in my eye re a tear then cannot fly home too dangerous so will have to go by car.
My question is if I book a flexi fare coming home and cant use it can I get refunded or you can reuse at a later date??

Cheer
Sandy
Welcome to flyertalk Sandy

A Flexiplus Fare is the only fare that can be refunded.
You can also change it to a later date but there might be a fare difference to pay.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:00 pm

So do you have to take the insurance to get the flexi refund or don't need the insurance?
Sandy
Old May 3, 2018, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No need for insurance to cover cancelling a Flexi-plus ticket. Insurance may be useful for other aspects of your planned travel.

The refund includes the credit card fees as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.