MRO-AKL, WAG-WLG going

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2013, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite, Qantas Platinum, Emirates Gold, Flying Blue Gold
MRO-AKL, WAG-WLG going

WAG-WLG ceases Dec 2013.
AKL-MRO ceases Feb 2014.

Always sad for the communities that lose out on air links, especially those who have invested on the back of the flights. Perhaps NZ should go the way of the US with an essential air service programme.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/new...ectid=11119580
Old Sep 4, 2013, 4:00 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints SILVER, KC
In my opinion, the AKL-MRO sector was probably the most expensive in the NZ Domestic Unit. Even 3months in advance, you could be looking at $300+. I understand that on a 1900D, prices won't be brilliant, but MRO is ridiculous!! If it wasn't so expensive, people would use it!!!

Air NZ used to close the WLG-WAG route over Summer. Sad to see it is gone for good. That means the end of the unusual TUO-WAG!!

I have noticed on several future bookings that Vincent Aviations Jetstream 32 seems to be operating a lot of Eagle flights. Maybe NZ need the 1900Ds, and it just so happened the AKL-MRO and WLG-WAG flights got the chop!

I feel for Masterton, I really feel that if NZ lowered the fares a little, they would get more patronage.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:54 am

Location: MSP, WLG, or the forward most A seat in Y I can get
Programs: UA Plat (and all the derivatives on cars and hotels that implies)
Not really surprised about WAG-WLG when there's PMR an hour down the road. Wonder if MRO-AKL could work as a seasonal weekend service, but would probably need to be some other airline, since seasonal non-daily service is not really part of NZ's operating philosophy.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold
Originally Posted by billy
WAG-WLG ceases Dec 2013.
AKL-MRO ceases Feb 2014.

Always sad for the communities that lose out on air links, especially those who have invested on the back of the flights. Perhaps NZ should go the way of the US with an essential air service programme.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/new...ectid=11119580
And have passengers on profitable routes subsidising non-profitable routes deemed worthy by authorities? No thanks!

Edit: Pity to see the loss of the WAG-WLG service, though. Used it a couple of times and enjoyed it.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:50 pm

Odd to see that I can book a flight to Masterton even past February. All appears normal on the NZ website. The Wanganui to Wellington flights are not bookable from 24th December. Does this mean that there is a chance that the MRO service will continue??
Old Sep 4, 2013, 3:11 pm

Just had another look and the last flight appears to be Friday 7th February. NZ are offering a midday return flight on that day. On Wednesday the 5th, there is a evening return flight.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 4:53 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Interesting that MRO-AKL is going, I know of several PS types that used it when they had meetings in AKL, in fact I even suggested it to them.
WLG-WAG I can understand, infrequent service and most PS are told to drive there instead (it is on the boundary of where we drive/fly).
I have heard that the B1900D fleet maybe reduced as the number of routes are in decline with NZ not interested in trying new domestic services with their own aircraft and they are not that economical to fly.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 5:36 pm

Programs: NZ*E & DL Minion. Former QF & EK
What is PS? Public Servant?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Saxphile
What is PS? Public Servant?
Yes.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 6:14 pm

Programs: NZ G, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Interesting that MRO-AKL is going, I know of several PS types that used it when they had meetings in AKL, in fact I even suggested it to them.
WLG-WAG I can understand, infrequent service and most PS are told to drive there instead (it is on the boundary of where we drive/fly).
I have heard that the B1900D fleet maybe reduced as the number of routes are in decline with NZ not interested in trying new domestic services with their own aircraft and they are not that economical to fly.
Q300 pilot told me the difference in fuel burn between Q300 and B1900D is negligible.

If true, then that makes (in my mind) B1900Ds uneconomical.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 6:40 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by robbau
Q300 pilot told me the difference in fuel burn between Q300 and B1900D is negligible.

If true, then that makes (in my mind) B1900Ds uneconomical.
Then you have to take into account the cost of airport staff / resources. The per passenger cost for a Q300 is lower than the B1900D
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite, Qantas Platinum, Emirates Gold, Flying Blue Gold
If the future for the B1900 is limited, and there is no economic replacement aircraft being produced without upgrading the aircraft size (which the market is unlikely to be able to fill), then some of these remote towns are going to feel a whole lot more remote without the Beech service to AKL/CHC/WLG.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:38 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
There have been rumors going around for a while about the state of the B1900's, particularly in regards to rust. There have also been issues at places such as Whangarei with the runway conditions forcing a change to the Q300.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle
There have been rumors going around for a while about the state of the B1900's, particularly in regards to rust. There have also been issues at places such as Whangarei with the runway conditions forcing a change to the Q300.
Yes there have been issues with the aircraft however they are still my favourite in the NZ fleet.
In regards to regional airports and up-gauge to the Q300, I thought the limiting factor was that there was a regulation that requires a fire tender must be ready to respond within a very short time for a regularly scheduled 50+ seat aircraft.
Thai-Kiwi maybe the one to provide this answer.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 2:29 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I'm fond of the 1900s too, and have certainly spent my share of time on them, especially on the BHE-WLG run. However I do prefer the Q300 for longer runs like BHE-AKL, as they are significantly quieter and more comfortable.

Originally Posted by sbiddle
What kind of runway conditions could a Q300 cope with that a 1900 couldn't?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.