Wiki Posts
Search

NZ v EK

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2013, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

NZ v EK

Hello,

I've got a work trip to Scotland coming up.
They want to book me on an EK flight va Dubai, Economy. I believe its all A380

As NZ*G I would rather fly NZ, I can use RU and OneSlut to bid for upgrades.

I've never flown EK, I have flown NZ1/2 in Y.

How do the two compare?

If I want the NZ flight I will have to pay the fare difference out of my pocket ($900). Is NZ Y vs EK Y worth $900?
Old Sep 2, 2013, 4:59 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
I've done both to the UK in Economy, will always choose NZ1/2 if I can as the schedule suits me as well as the arrival time into Heathrow. Snagged Exit row at no charge in the past however its worth paying the extra to get it. The plus side is yes you can use RU / Oneup for Air NZ, the downside is you are already forking out an additional $900 just to use Air NZ.

If the Emirates schedule/connecting flights are suitable, I would stick to that, the A380, food service and IFE is all pretty good.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL, UA
NZ v EK

question is EK y vs NZ y taking into account the NZ y option will cost the OP $900 out of pocket with no guarantee of upgrades clearing. my opinion is comparing y to y is much of a muchness but to pay an additional $900 wouldn't yield any value.

unless you can confirm upgrades.....then you are comparing EK y to NZ Prem y or even J in which case NZ wins hands down. then the $900 + upgrade cost makes it worth the extra.

good luck!
Old Sep 2, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite, Qantas Platinum, Emirates Gold, Flying Blue Gold
Even in J-class I have found the DXB transfer to be a bit of a zoo. Long bus transfers, miserably long transit security queues, very long walks and something akin to a refugee camp upstairs with people sleeping everywhere. I have found service at DXB at a 'couldn't care less' level.
I have only done NZ to LHR in Y once and that was via HKG - a breeze.
EK will get you to GLA direct, rather than having to make the long terminal tour at LHR to find your BA connection.
Isn't there a reasonable SQ fare - at least you will get some Airpoints if it is booked in the right class?
Old Sep 2, 2013, 7:58 pm

Programs: NZ*G and a couple of other Silvers.
Originally Posted by NZSportsTech
Hello,

I've got a work trip to Scotland coming up.
They want to book me on an EK flight va Dubai, Economy. I believe its all A380

As NZ*G I would rather fly NZ, I can use RU and OneSlut to bid for upgrades.

I've never flown EK, I have flown NZ1/2 in Y.

How do the two compare?

If I want the NZ flight I will have to pay the fare difference out of my pocket ($900). Is NZ Y vs EK Y worth $900?
As far as EK is concerned, if you're flying direct to Glasgow from Dubai, it's a 777, if it's all A380 then it must be doing to London and then a domestic transfer.

EK on the Dubai-Glasgow leg in a 777 is variable, I used to fly the route every month or two and never had two flights the same.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:10 pm

Programs: NZ*E & DL Minion. Former QF & EK
Originally Posted by billy
Even in J-class I have found the DXB transfer to be a bit of a zoo. Long bus transfers, miserably long transit security queues, very long walks and something akin to a refugee camp upstairs with people sleeping everywhere. I have found service at DXB at a 'couldn't care less' level.
I have only done NZ to LHR in Y once and that was via HKG - a breeze.
EK will get you to GLA direct, rather than having to make the long terminal tour at LHR to find your BA connection.
Isn't there a reasonable SQ fare - at least you will get some Airpoints if it is booked in the right class?
I would agree that DXB can be an unpleasant place if you have a long layover and no access to lounge, but I've flown AKL-DXB-GLA before on EK, and the connections weren't too bad. I don't think it would be A380 all the way through though--probably 772 for the DXB-GLA leg.

The main reason I would choose EK would be so that I can avoid LHR--IMO easily the most unpleasant large airport in the world. I would rather spend 8 hours in DXB than 2 in LHR. You should also consider that upgrades can be very difficult on NZ1/2, and you'd end up in Y on a NZ 77W, which in my opinion is inferior hardware to Y in EK's A380. Flying NZ though HK is pointless since the HKG-LHR is operate by CX and your status is not recognized.

Short answer: fly EK and pay for 3rd party lounge access in DXB. Or go explore Dubai if you have a long layover. I have no great love for Dubai, but it's certainly worth a visit.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Possibility of upgrades on NZ aside, I would choose EK every time - and I have, often.

I fly AKL-SYD-DXB-LHR and return at least twice a year.

The EK 380 has wider seats in Economy and, for me, chunky as I am, that is a bonus. I choose the front portion of Economy, which is a relatively small section, with easy access to the area where the staircase comes down from the upper deck - plenty of room to stand and walk there, and additional toilets. Flight attendants' service is comparable and the seat back screens are bigger on EK.

My transfer in DXB involves no buses, no change of terminal, just a walk through security screening. The terminal is, indeed, busy, but it's interesting.

I have some objection to passing through LAX as well, so no doubt that colours my view!
Old Sep 2, 2013, 11:07 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
Check out SQ!? At least then you can use the lounges and possibly only have a single connection in SIN.

The extra 900 for NZ doesn't seem worth it particularly given the difficulty in getting RU on 1/2.

EK - loading and unloading the A380 can be a nightmare in Y but I like their Y seat. Avoiding LHR but adding on SYD or MEL still means 2 stops
Old Sep 3, 2013, 4:24 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Check the dates that you are planning to travel for some idea of the odds of actually getting OneUps and RUs. Typically midweek odds are much better than travelling on a Friday or Sunday. If you use Expertflyer or even do a "fake" booking in the next class up for multiple people, you can get some idea of your odds. If they are low, then NZ doesn't seem worth it, although for what it's worth, I would only do NZ if I knew I could back an exit row. EK 777s have 10 abreast, as does NZ on the 777-300ER, but EK sacrifices a bit more seat width than aisle space. That would put me off the DXB-GLA sector.

If an upgrade isn't likely, then the only reason to do NZ is priority checkin and lounge access, which is worth something at LAX (for a shower), but not $900. I personally wouldn't be put off by LHR, as a transfer is not that taxing, and it really is only at the tail end of the long haul trip. LHR T5 for the domestic leg is a perfectly pleasant terminal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.