Wiki Posts
Search

Op-Up chances SYD-AKL?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*GS, AS-75K, DL-Pt, Marriot-Ti, Hilton-G
Op-Up chances SYD-AKL?

I have a two "seat" tickets from SYD-AKL in a couple weeks on a 772. What are the chances for an Op-Up? Both my wife and I are NZ*G. We are currently seated in the "frequent flyer" section at the front of Y (PE has middle singles available).

Currently there are only 2 seats taken on the NZ website in BP (20/26 open), and EF has 16 open.

Should I roll the dice and hope for an op-up? or throw a low one-up bid at the flight?

- D155
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:04 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
You should never expect an op-up. The chances of disappointment are very high.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:42 pm

Programs: QF Gold
You'd need economy to be sold out to have a chance at an op-up. Middle seats available in PE suggest that's not the case. I'd give you a 1/1000 shot of an op up.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 12:27 am

Programs: DL, UA
IMHO the chance of a true op up, on any NZ flight, on any given day are less than 1/10 of 1%. Slim to none. If you're wanting to be upgraded - then I think the safest choice is a One Up, and take a look at the latest results to give you an idea of what's worked in the past for others. A low One Up bid certainly against the averages that are posted is probably as good as not bidding at all. Light loads and a low bid don't necessarily equal it being accepted - I've tried and failed at that strategy.

On another note - it is a good idea for a thread of its own - NZ op-up history. I would be intrigued if op-ups happen with NZ very often at all!

I've been fortunate to have some on EK, QF (way back when there was no JQ), and once on NZ in about 2002. I just don't think it's in NZs manual now! :-(
Old Aug 16, 2013, 1:53 am

Oh, they do happen, particularly to elites on full flights (well, overfull in Y, but low in J) - often in school holidays. But they should always be a pleasant surprise, rather than planned.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 6:08 am

Programs: AIRNZ Gold elite
Op-Up

Originally Posted by pbl22
Oh, they do happen, particularly to elites on full flights (well, overfull in Y, but low in J) - often in school holidays. But they should always be a pleasant surprise, rather than planned.
Yes I was particularly lucky when the aircraft was changed from a 777-200 to a 767-300 on a TT and economy appeared to be over booked

Yes a pleasant surprise!
Old Aug 17, 2013, 3:24 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
In plenty of flights as a *G and NZ gold I've certainly never had one. Even SYD-AKL a couple of days before Christmas, with space available in J and Y seemingly overbooked - that was the only time I thought I might have a chance, but nope.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 8:02 am

does airnz see more than your status ? when upgrading

Originally Posted by pbl22
Do you think airnz consider more than your status when upgrading ?
Eg
Years as gold elite
Status points say 2,000 or 3,000
Top 100 flyer
How much the ticket cost
Years as a airpoints member

Or just the current status ????
Old Aug 17, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL, UA
I assume it's current status. Not sure when in the final stages of boarding they'd want to spend time analyzing FF history, even if they could. I don't think they can see that far back anyways. I think it's current status, and probably whether you're flying alone, or as part of a group (i.e. how many seats they have to free up) but given I've not had any recently - I have no idea!
Old Aug 17, 2013, 6:54 pm

Pretty sure it's current status only. They may have some way of ranking individuals of the same status (PCV?), but I'm not sure.

I have also had the experience a few times of being offered an op-up when in a party of three, with the invitation not extending to the remainder of my party. (Of course, I have always declined these.)

I guess it very much depends on the agent doing the allocations/re-seating.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:44 am

They also sometimes do Op-ups by fare paid rather than status. And apparently this is quite okay according to Mr Bruce Parton, former Group General Manager Shorthaul.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 12:26 am

How common is op-up on which planes ?

Originally Posted by everywhere
They also sometimes do Op-ups by fare paid rather than status. And apparently this is quite okay according to Mr Bruce Parton, former Group General Manager Shorthaul.
This year I have had two op-up on TT from seat only
767-300 and 777-200 far too few to work out which plane you stand the best chance

Which planes have others experienced op-up (TT) ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.