Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Airpoints Gold and International lounges...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airpoints Gold and International lounges...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2013, 3:41 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
QF flights from WLG sometimes get a stand position. Another poor gate is the one in the 60s that is near the pier but has no airbridge. Inevitably when I get that one it is raining and running late with short connection to next flight way over in gate 8 or 30 something. Where you enter the terminal you have to backtrack against the crowds to get to international transfer.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
This year I had a QF flight from AKL get a bus gate at SYD. I was responsible for ensuring a party of 60 make the very tight connection to a QF flight to HBA. Headwinds already slowed down the journey over the Tasman, so the bus gate just exacerbated the delay. Trying to get so many people (with over 40 of them children) through customs/immigration and transfer between terminals was a massive exercise. Fortunately, the size of our party meant that QF held the HBA flight up for us. It all worked out though - the HBA plane was delayed about 40 mins.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: NZ G, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by poopbunny
Was passing by SYD last week and saw the SQ lounge open and decided to try it.

Notably missing was the steamed prawn dumplings and the cheesecake. They had one of my favorite beers I don't see in NZ and very tasty curries that day (if you are into curries.)

Lots of executives that day doting and tweaking around the food area making sure everything was stocked and clean. Must have been opened recently.

I asked one of them about the prawn dumplings and we started talking.
- food now catered (previously they we prepared by the staff there)
- old lounge was not designed for hot food.
- SQ pax complained about NZ lounge, too big, too noisy, etc.. was just like a regular access lounge
- all A* (inc NZ) welcomed.
- new design did not consult catering which limited food selection and presentation.

Still, I enjoyed my time there and the food.
http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...218-2zjz2.html

Last edited by robbau; Dec 18, 2013 at 3:16 pm Reason: Remove photos
Old Jan 12, 2014, 5:06 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Resurrecting this thread to report on our experience of using the SQ lounge at SYD when departing on NZ on Christmas eve.

We had no trouble gaining access to the lounge, once they made sure we understood that the official lounge was the NZ one next door and that they would not be making any boarding announcements for our flight. (It might have helped that I said I had heard flattering things about how much better the lounge was than the AirNZ one, as the staff were clearly very proud of their new baby.)

First impressions are good, with the quite characterful 'batik' decorated glass screen and quite stylish reception desk, which is shared for both first and business. Once inside the business half of the lounge, it's not quite so impressive: I found it a bit boxy and grey. There are some nice details, but overall it's a bit 'cold' - too many hard surfaces and shades of grey, plus a dubious carpet design and a fairly utilitarian low ceiling. Even a few plants would soften up the look and feel quite nicely.

On the other hand, the seating is comfortable, and there are good views of the apron and runways. Plus the bathrooms were rather nicely designed.

I was a bit preoccupied at the time with some pre-departure tasks, so I didn't take in as much as I should have regarding the food and booze options. There were plentiful cold options, along the lines of smoked salmon, bread and antipasto-style offerings. I tried a few of these, and while they looked good I found them a bit disappointingly lacking in flavour - a bit bland and over-chilled. However, for hot options in addition to a soup (which I didn't try) there was a Thai red curry with chicken, which was absolutely fantastic. I had seconds, and could easily have gone back for thirds or fourths. They also had champagne (Cattier, I think), which was in a very dry style which seemed a bit austere initially when drunk on its own, but transformed wonderfully with food.

I was really impressed that the waiter not only came around clearing plates but also proactively offering refils. At one point a very nice South African woman, who I think introduced herself as the manager, also came around to ask us about the lounge. She was delighted to hear that we had defected from the NZ lounge, and was heading our way with yet another refil of champers when we had to leave for boarding a few minutes later (she looked very disappointed).

In the time we were there (mid to late morning) there were probably only 10 or so other people in the lounge, so it was a haven of tranquility, unlike the NZ lounge usually is (though to be fair, I didn't swing by that time to check it out). Overall, it's a nice lounge and a pleasant change from the ever-deteriorating NZ lounge; and its particularly proud and personable staff (plus some nice food and drink) help to lift it to the next level. I could definitely see myself swinging by for a glass of decent champers prior to my next NZ (or UA) departure.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 11:39 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Thanks for the report mad_atta ^
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:25 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
That's quite good news about the SQ lounge in SYD mad_atta , the more competition NZ realises it has in the lounge department the better.

However, given I experienced the SYD QF First Class lounge over the break, I've been spoilt.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:09 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by libertyuk
However, given I experienced the SYD QF First Class lounge over the break, I've been spoilt.
Alas, I have never experienced that hallowed space.

There's no doubt *A is not all that impressive in the lounge department, especially when compared with OW. Sure there's the LH FCT / FCLs but after that, what? I suppose TG's F lounge in BKK is nice enough, but more for the spa than anything else.

Those aside, I can't think of any *A lounge I've been to that was really impressive. Many are totally fine, but no real standouts. I'm hoping to make it to IST later in the year - looking forward to trying that one.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by mad_atta
I'm hoping to make it to IST later in the year - looking forward to trying that one.
IST's really up there as one of the best lounges I've used. My partner and I were there for a couple of hours a couple of summers ago and enjoyed proper excellent Turkish food, esp some veggie stuff from the mezze bar.

[We're both also fans of the LH non-schengen Senator lounge at FRA, where the excellent bar staff have made us some great cocktails; gin with cucumber, who knew?? (most people except us, as it turns out )]

Looking forward to trying out the new SQ lounge in SYD in a few weeks (and the QF F in MEL come May - heard great things about that)...
Old Jan 14, 2014, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by mad_atta
We had no trouble gaining access to the lounge, once they made sure we understood that the official lounge was the NZ one next door and that they would not be making any boarding announcements for our flight.

However, for hot options in addition to a soup (which I didn't try) there was a Thai red curry with chicken, which was absolutely fantastic. I had seconds, and could easily have gone back for thirds or fourths.
You are right! The Thai Red Curry is fantastic! Next time I might just buy the Seat + Bag and eat in this lounge.

No lecture about the NZ lounge this time, they recognized me as a returning guest (or customer).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.