Wiki Posts
Search

Usefull infomation for you trip emails

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2013, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Koru

Anyone else finding these emails a pointless waste of time? surely the system can see that I'm traveling to some of these places muitlpile times a year and don't really need to be told useless information about the detestation, to the point of the blue I just got one about AKL, which is beyond me as they know I'm akl bassed.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 6:14 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Air NZ lowly Jade now, Emirates
i just hit the delete button. Could be useful for overseas visitors perhaps. Perhaps they need to have a box that you can tick to "receive helpful emails about your destination before you depart".
Old Jun 23, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: NZ*E & DL Minion. Former QF & EK
Or start booking your flights through an agent. You only get those emails if you book directly with NZ. many agents will happily match prices you find on the NZ website. I'm normally all for doing everything on the internet, but the NZ website is limited in functionality in a lot of ways, and calling NZ to book a fare is really no different from booking it through a 3rd party agent.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 6:58 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF WP/LTG
I commute to WLG three days a week and receive one of these emails for every trip. Although they don't really bother me, it is still quite amusing to see that no one at NZ thought of picking out all the HVC's who do the same flights very frequently and pull them off the mailing list. And yes, when I book a one way ticket back to Auckland, I receive an email telling me all about the Harbour Bridge and the Sky Tower.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 7:07 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold
In fairness to NZ, don't Qantas do these as well? Recently I booked a flight SYD-WLG on QF and got an email a few days later with hotel suggestions etc for Wellington.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Susiew237
i just hit the delete button. Could be useful for overseas visitors perhaps. Perhaps they need to have a box that you can tick to "receive helpful emails about your destination before you depart".
Maybe for overseas visitors yes, but for standard same day return AKL-WLG or AKL-CHC its kinda a pain. Its like why don't they sent it along with the e-ticket? rather than send me another email a couple of days later that will get pushed to my iPhone when I'm in the middle of a meeting.....

They are effectually spamming there customer database, as they are not giving you the option if opting out of these 'useful tips' when your booking your tickets.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints SILVER, KC
I received 3 such emails this morning. Darn annoying. I did WHK-AKL-WHK 4times a week a while back, and every day almost, I was getting one of these emails!! All for a unsubscribe option!!
Old Jun 23, 2013, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Try setting a SPAM filter on your email for the specific address.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 7:47 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints SILVER, KC
On closer inspection of the fine print. There is a link to unsubscribe from all future emails like this.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 7:48 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
I fly ~70 times a year with AirNZ and never get them. Thank goodness.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:44 am

You can choose what type emails you want from the myAirNZ page on the website in the profile section.

They are rubbish emails, alone side the endless sale emails.

Given 90 % of my travel is work related and business reimbursed or booked I really couldn't given a damn about all the promotional stuff.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:55 am

Programs: QF Platinum / LTS, Air NZ Gold Elite, Velocity Silver, OW Emerald, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DomesticGoddess
In fairness to NZ, don't Qantas do these as well? Recently I booked a flight SYD-WLG on QF and got an email a few days later with hotel suggestions etc for Wellington.
Yes QF do this as well. Just set the spam filter to send these to junk.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Try setting a SPAM filter on your email for the specific address.
Only problem is that you will miss emails that you need to see such as when they auto re-book you on another flight!
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
<Former ISP mail administrator hat on>
It's also bad practice to deliberately tag "legitimate" email as spam. This has a lot of repercussions depending on how the anti-spam system is set up, and should not be done.

If you can't just delete them yourself (and I really don't even notice these sorts of mails in the grand scheme of things), then set up a specific rule that deletes them rather than treating them as spam.
</Former ISP mail administrator>
Old Jun 27, 2013, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Its' also bad practice (read: slimy) for NZ to hide real info occasionally in what are basically just marketing emails. They're not "info emails". They're just trying to sell you crap. And, as someone said, if you opt out then you miss the important stuff on the rare occasions they send something of import. QF does a slightly better job of separating their spam from their "almost useful but still has spam" stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.