LA Lounge Age Requirements

Old May 10, 13, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

LA Lounge Age Requirements

from : http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/inter...ational-lounge
Under United States liquor licensing laws, we are unable allow access to the Los Angeles International Lounge to passengers under the age of 21 who are not accompanied by their parent or guardian.
With the recent change to the rules regarding transit (NZ1/NZ2) at LAX, I was looking forward to a shower (and a drink) in the lounge.

I'm above 21, but my partner is 20. Does anyone have any experience on with the lounge staff enforcing this rule, or allowing exceptions?
I imagine my chances are slim, but I thought I would ask.

I wonder what I would have to do to convince them that I am her guardian?

Thoughts please
Old May 10, 13, 10:41 pm

Programs: NZ*E & DL Minion. Former QF & EK
That is a very interesting question. I don't think people between 18 and 21 are flagged on the manifest in any way, so they would have to see your ID to verify your age. Having said that, it is possible (though unlikely) that they've programmed the scanner at LAX to specifically check people's birth dates (that information is included in your booking).

I'd say the only way you can find out is to try. Or perhaps someone on FT going through LAX in the next few days can ask the lounge staff on your behalf.
Old May 10, 13, 11:00 pm

Programs: Koru/*S, GHA Gold
I wonder if you'd meet their definition of guardian?
Old May 10, 13, 11:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Just tell 'em you are on your honeymoon.

Young adults are likely to be "carded" (asked for ID verifying age) at the entrance to any bar in the US.
Old May 10, 13, 11:46 pm

It's been 10 years but from the age of 17 till 21 I used that lounge 2 or 3 times a year traveling alone and was never questioned. Unless they have gotten stricter I think you will be fine

Last edited by Waipara_Sam; May 10, 13 at 11:58 pm
Old May 11, 13, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.

Of course we will give a try - If anyone is passing through the lounge and would like to ask for me that would be great. Shes only a couple months under 21.

Cheers
Old May 11, 13, 12:58 am

Programs: NZ *E, Accor Platinum, Hertz President’s Circle
I wish I was young again so being under age was a worry!
Old May 11, 13, 1:33 am

I'm on NZ2 in a couple of weeks I will ask for you if someone else doesn't beat me to it. But like I said dont think you will have any issues. Looking like you belong and you have done it 100 times before goes a long way.
Old May 11, 13, 4:00 am

Programs: NZ *E, Accor Platinum, Hertz President’s Circle
You could always email Matt the concierge in LAX.
Old May 11, 13, 3:44 pm

I'm pretty sure in California you can enter a bar with your legal spouce if you are under 21. You will both be liable for legal trouble if you drink. If you are not married I doubt this applies
Old May 11, 13, 5:07 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Silver, QF Bronze, AF Ivory, IHG Platinum Elite, Accor Gold
Roughly a decade ago I was in transit in the NZ LAX lounge on NZ1, and casually chatting to a young lady who had been upgraded to Business Class, having connected from an AF flight from CDG. She was not legal age to drink in California (possibly not even NZ), and asked me if it was ok for her to have a glass of champagne. I said that it was really up to the lounge staff, so she went off, came back with a glass and enjoyed it.

She had just come back from a year as an exchange student in France after all, so didn't think anything of it. She had learned that one can drink to enjoy it, rather than to become paralytic.

Of course, given she was unaccompanied, I presume the LAX lounge staff figured she would hardly have been an issue. Whether she told her parents when she got back to NZ is another story!
Old May 12, 13, 5:53 pm

Programs: NZ *G, Qantas Gold
I was in the lounge aged 20 last about 18 month ago now. Departing on NZ1 bound for AKL. I enjoyed the lounge as I would any other Koru. I didn't see a problem nor did the staff but I look older for my age. When flying F class within the US I was always supplied with alcohol...
Old May 13, 13, 9:37 pm

Actually if it is a bar, no one under 21 can be admitted with or without spouse or parent.

Given that they state that they will let under 21s into the lounge when accompanied by a parent, this means that the premises are not licensed as a bar, but some other type or establishment that can serve liquor. If it is not a bar, anyone of any age can come in at any time, whether or not accompanied by an adult.

So, when they say that they are unable to allow access they are mistaken or lying.

Is the alcohol self-service? If so, they may not want under-21s in the club because they are worried they will serve themselves alcohol (which is prohibited.)

Originally Posted by kakapo24 View Post
I'm pretty sure in California you can enter a bar with your legal spouce if you are under 21. You will both be liable for legal trouble if you drink. If you are not married I doubt this applies
Old May 14, 13, 2:03 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Marriott Plat., UA, NZ
Originally Posted by BigFlyer View Post

Is the alcohol self-service? If so, they may not want under-21s in the club because they are worried they will serve themselves alcohol (which is prohibited.)
It's been awhile, but last time I was in the LAX lounge all the alcohol was self-service.
Old May 14, 13, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by BigFlyer View Post
Actually if it is a bar, no one under 21 can be admitted with or without spouse or parent.

Given that they state that they will let under 21s into the lounge when accompanied by a parent, this means that the premises are not licensed as a bar, but some other type or establishment that can serve liquor. If it is not a bar, anyone of any age can come in at any time, whether or not accompanied by an adult.

So, when they say that they are unable to allow access they are mistaken or lying.
Trust Flyertalk to have a resident expert on CA liquor licensing laws.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: