Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Requesting RU and One-up on same booking

Old May 8, 13, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club

In the 'good old days' it was possible for do an online request for a RU for one pax and an airpoints upgrade for the other - both clearly linked to the same booking reference.

Now it seems that I can only apply for a One-up for both pax on the ticket, which means I can't use my RU if travelling with someone else.

I can apply for my RU separately on another screen, but that doesn't solve the first problem.

Am I missing something, or does anyone have any advice for how to get round this?
Old May 8, 13, 4:50 pm

As far as I know, it cant be solved.

I have had to throw away my RUs to ensure our upgrade request get processed together. Cant have the missus in another cabin to me!

It is a huge letdown.
Old May 8, 13, 5:36 pm

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
I was under the impression that call centre can help with this and can make a note to not clear one without the other.
Old May 8, 13, 6:52 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, Koru Life, QF Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Le Club Accor Plat, Carlson Gold
I was in the same predicament with my wife flying to AKL to RAR - rang AirNZ and they said that most one-ups bidders are notified if they are successful or not within 5-7 days out. RUs are only looked at (excluding GE) three days out so you have time whether to request or not.

My wife was told that her one-up was successful 5 days out so I the put in my RU straight after the notification
Old May 9, 13, 6:30 pm

Programs: QF - Plat. NZ Gold
Originally Posted by Gypcat View Post
I was in the same predicament with my wife flying to AKL to RAR - rang AirNZ and they said that most one-ups bidders are notified if they are successful or not within 5-7 days out. RUs are only looked at (excluding GE) three days out so you have time whether to request or not.

My wife was told that her one-up was successful 5 days out so I the put in my RU straight after the notification
So is this saying that Oneups do get priority over RU?
Old May 9, 13, 6:46 pm

Programs: NZ*E & DL Minion. Former QF & EK
Originally Posted by andrewr80 View Post
So is this saying that Oneups do get priority over RU?
RU is standby so if there's an empty seat, you'd get it. OneUp will only be accepted if your offer exceeds a magical number that differs from flight to flight (although there is a vague pattern for each route). Therefore, one doesn't necessarily take priority over the other (except for GE whose RUs are confirmed ASAP).

To put it another way, if someone else misses their connection and thus cannot make it on your flight, with RU you will take their seat even if the other seat was sold as C or U, whereas your OneUp bid may be rejected even if the entire BP cabin is empty if the bid is not high enough.
Old May 11, 13, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
Thanks for the replies, guys.

It certainly isn't simple like the old system. I'll ring the call centre and see what they say (hoping I get one of the many good reps).

But it certainly does seem, whatever NZ says, that One up does take precedence in that lowly silver RUs are only allocated at the last minute.
Old May 11, 13, 11:04 pm

Programs: Airnz Elite
does koru add any weight to a RU

Originally Posted by nzlilibet View Post

It certainly isn't simple like the old system. I'll ring the call centre and see what they say (hoping I get one of the many good reps).

But it certainly does seem, whatever NZ says, that One up does take precedence in that lowly silver RUs are only allocated at the last minute.
Does having KORU membership add to the RU for a
Silver
Gold
GE
Being approved ?
Old May 12, 13, 12:26 am

Programs: NZ G, QF G, Accor Plat
Call center will not be able to help; I went through this last month. They will make you split the booking. OneUps are handled by an entirely separate team.

I ended up doing a Fixed price standby upgrade as a GE, it was the only way to do it. If you're not GE it's complex.
Old May 12, 13, 12:27 am

Programs: NZ G, QF G, Accor Plat
RUs seem to clear at the airport, very rarely in advance. I've used 5 or 6 of them though and never had one fail
Old May 12, 13, 2:47 am

Programs: QFWP/LTG, VAWP, NZ*G, OZD, NH*G, Marriott Plat, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by ASJOHNSTONE View Post
RUs seem to clear at the airport
As long as there are seats available.
Old May 12, 13, 4:06 am

Programs: Airnz Elite
RU

I have had 4 successes (all TT) one part success 2 RU used but at checkin could only use one (Auckland ~Hong Kong)
So overall pretty happy with the system
Old May 19, 13, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by nzlilibet View Post

Hi nzlilbet - any update? did you call and get any help or did it fall into the 'too hard' basket?

I need to do the same thing soon.

Cheers
Old May 26, 13, 10:11 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, NZ Elite, AZ Freccia Alata Plus, VA Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Priority Pass
Probably a really stupid question (and a little off-topic), but is there any danger/issue in selecting a seat (in economy TT) if i've put in an RU for Business? (obviously not a good use of an RU, but have one to use up before I go to GE and only one booking I could use it on)
Old May 26, 13, 10:30 pm

Programs: QFWP/LTG, VAWP, NZ*G, OZD, NH*G, Marriott Plat, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Only if you pay for the seat selection, then you will forfeit that if your RU is granted.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: