Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Possible discrimination from Air New Zealand towards Australian residents?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2013, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Hello All,

This is my first main topic here, so hopefully I didn't post in a wrong forum and didn't post the stuff that has already been discussed

I just went through the availability check for Air New Zealand's four destinations that have business class served in Australia: Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney. What is out of my surprise is that in the period from today, 7 April 2013 (here in Melbourne, Australia), to 330 days after, 3 March 2014, there is NO business class award seats available on EVERY SINGLE ONE of the routes.

Is this normal for ANZ? I've successfully booked myself on one of their NZ123 flight to Melbourne a couple months ago, but wth is NZ doing with this move?

Thank you for all the answers, enjoy your weekend

Cheers,
Michael
Old Apr 6, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Discrimination? Seriously?
Old Apr 6, 2013, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Discrimination? Of course not.

Are there actually no trans-Tasman biz seats available for the entire year? Anything is possible. A single point-in-time snapshot of inventory doesn't actually define the system overall.

There's also the part where the trans-Tasman service doesn't really offer business class on the A320s. That might have something to do with it.
Works Deluxe will be our top product choice on our A320 aircraft.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 12:46 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
What airline program are you trying to redeem from? I would say not AirNZ Air-points as they offer any seat rewards.

Also there is very limited trans Tasman business class seats to start off with, AKL is the only port they sell it to from Aussie and that's only on the 767s / 777s

looking at SYD-AKL 15April-21April
15/4/13
NZ108
NZ102
16/4/13
NZ108
NZ102
17/4/13
NZ108
NZ102
18/4/13
NZ108
NZ102
19/4/13
NZ108
NZ102
20/4/13
NZ104
NZ102
21/4/13
NZ108
NZ102
NZ118

All of these services have Business Awards Available for between 540-1160points oneway

Last edited by cavemanzk; Apr 6, 2013 at 2:03 pm
Old Apr 6, 2013, 3:39 pm

Air New Zealand doesn't discriminate. It gives appalling service to everybody.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by everywhere
LOL
Old Apr 6, 2013, 6:03 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
This was noted and discussed a couple of months ago: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-n...d-flights.html

And yes, while looking for some awards recently, this still seems to be true. No I class inventory NZ-AU at all.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
What airline program are you trying to redeem from? I would say not AirNZ Air-points as they offer any seat rewards.

Also there is very limited trans Tasman business class seats to start off with, AKL is the only port they sell it to from Aussie and that's only on the 767s / 777s

looking at SYD-AKL 15April-21April
15/4/13
NZ108
NZ102
16/4/13
NZ108
NZ102
17/4/13
NZ108
NZ102
18/4/13
NZ108
NZ102
19/4/13
NZ108
NZ102
20/4/13
NZ104
NZ102
21/4/13
NZ108
NZ102
NZ118

All of these services have Business Awards Available for between 540-1160points oneway
Yeah mate you're right, I'm not redeeming from NZ's own FFP program, and thus none of the seats available. I understood that only 767/777/747 operated flight has business class, so I didn't even bother looking into the ones from Adelaide, Gold Coast and Cairns where only A320 is operating. However NONE of the seats are available to us seems to be a bit too exaggerating...... I could still book myself onto NZ123 a couple month ago! Definitely a bad move for NZ.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

I'm not mean by onboard/airport service mate, I understood that they have a pretty decent service level and since they are the only way for me to go to the Pacific islands with *A it bothers me quite a bit.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajnz
This was noted and discussed a couple of months ago: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-n...d-flights.html

And yes, while looking for some awards recently, this still seems to be true. No I class inventory NZ-AU at all.
Thanks very much for the link, seems to be true for my argument. Bad move from NZ, definitely.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers

I sent the club a wire stating,

PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION.
I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB
THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.

Groucho Marx
Old Apr 6, 2013, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry305
Discrimination? Seriously?
Based on award availbility for other *A members, yes, I would seriously say they're discriminating all *A FFP members except (probably) their own ones.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 10:05 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by eamond
Based on award availbility for other *A members, yes, I would seriously say they're discriminating all *A FFP members except (probably) their own ones.
Well they treat their own appallingly when you take into consideration their earn rate.
Only benefit of NZ is you can redeem any available seat as long as you pay the same AirPoint Dollar figure as the revenue fare. Oh you can also buy AirPoint Dollars for the same dollar value, with a processing fee as well, so why would anyone use APD for redemptions when you can pay the same dollar figure for a fare?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:44 am

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Well they treat their own appallingly when you take into consideration their earn rate.
Only benefit of NZ is you can redeem any available seat as long as you pay the same AirPoint Dollar figure as the revenue fare. Oh you can also buy AirPoint Dollars for the same dollar value, with a processing fee as well, so why would anyone use APD for redemptions when you can pay the same dollar figure for a fare?
I use APD for redemptions for family members, why use cash when I have spare points in my account? Also if your a few airpoints short of a reward/redemption, then the ability to buy APD as a top up is great! Yes agree the earn rate is low compared to others but you cant beat walking on to a Air nz plane to see familiar friendly faces and a warm welcome of "home"
Old Apr 7, 2013, 3:36 am

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
The warm welcome home will be a little less warm now the Concierges have been scrapped....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.