Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Instant coffee served in Premium Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Instant coffee served in Premium Economy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E
Angry Instant coffee served in Premium Economy

I was lucky (so thanks AirNZ) to be able to use RUs to upgrade to premium economy on both legs of an Auckland to Vancouver return flight recently. Excellent service both ways by the F.A.s but I was horrified to have only instant coffee available both at dinner and breakfast.

I know that the penny-pinchers rule in this airline now, but the extra cost per customer or serving genuine coffee would amount to only a few cents. NZers take pride in their cafes serving excellent food and coffees but Air NZ just doesn't seem to care on what it offers for a "premium" product. I would have been even more annoyed if I had paid the full premium price for the seats, as the instant mixture was virtually undrinkable.

Air NZ proudly presented the otherwise excellent meal as being designed by NZ chef Peter Gordon. Does he serve instant coffee as the only option in his restaurants?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:56 am

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
Don't worry it is in Bus too! Apparently the grounds block drains. I think this changed in August last year.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 1:08 am

Programs: NZ Silver
Maybe they are playing the Made in NZ card to save a few bucks cents http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/fo...ted-down-south
Old Feb 5, 2013, 1:08 am

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ
Originally Posted by Markhm
Don't worry it is in Bus too! Apparently the grounds block drains. I think this changed in August last year.
Nobody said coffee dregs had to go down the drain! Sounds like a big excuse to cut costs.. With the air being so dry up there, they could squeeze it out and put it in the bin and it'd be dry in no time (don't think I ever recalled them having an espresso machine onboard).
Old Feb 5, 2013, 1:24 am

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
I generally carry plunger and coffee in my bag when I travel and on most ocassions, the FAs will make me coffee with my own equipment. I should deduct off the Bus Prem price!
Old Feb 5, 2013, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by Markhm
So AirNZ could make brewed coffee for all of its passengers for 20+ years but now it blocks the drains.

Some of the changes made by AirNZ over the past 18 months have the same relationship with common sense as their instant coffee has with coffee beans. There's a saying that if you do the small things well, the big things look after themselves. Obviously the airline's bean counters don't agree.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by zoovet
... There's a saying that if you do the small things well, the big things look after themselves. Obviously the airline's bean counters don't agree.
It's been a downward spiral since the pinnicle reached with that at the introduction of the 77W services.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-n...ntroduced.html

I don't think they really care - I am am thinking they consider they basically have a 'captive market'.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:50 am

Programs: AirNZ AP *GE, Aegean *G, BMI Gold, BA Exec club Gold, UA MP, QFF
Really? That's quite astonishing. Instant in Business too...
Old Feb 6, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
take a look at this "gushing" review

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/new...ectid=10863389
Old Feb 6, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver, NZ Jade, QF Bronze, A Club Platinum, Hhonors Silver
Originally Posted by treadsoftly
Really? That's quite astonishing. Instant in Business too...
and a particularly foul version of instant coffee too
Old Feb 6, 2013, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
take a look at this "gushing" review

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/new...ectid=10863389
And note at the bottom of that gushing review that the writer of it "travelled as a guest of Air New Zealand"
Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:57 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
It also reads like it was their first ever experience of travelling on a flight in a premium cabin.

Would I fly this again?
You bet. I fear it's ruined me for travelling long-haul ... But I would have to take out a small loan, probably.
Can you imagine how serious someone would take a review of a fine wine costing $500 a bottle when they had only ever had $10 bottles on special?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 2:40 am

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by Trumpkin
Can you imagine how serious someone would take a review of a fine wine costing $500 a bottle when they had only ever had $10 bottles on special?
Are you suggesting that the Herald get FTers to review flights? That would be interesting.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 2:43 am

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Originally Posted by pbl22
Are you suggesting that the Herald get FTers to review flights? That would be interesting.
It might provide a more accurate review. But then that might not be what they are after. Would Air NZ be giving away free premium flights to people who can compare service between multiple airlines and not just write a glowing review?

Or am I too cynical?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 5:20 am

With factual inaccuracies contained in the article it is amazing any newspaper with Herald in its name anywhere in the world would print such an appalling piece of crap.

For example:
Seat:
You mean my bed? An ottoman is next to the main seat and most people kicked off their shoes and slipped on the complimentary socks. The ottoman becomes part of the bed when it's folded out. The seats are angled so you're not looking at your neighbour: you have as much privacy as you're going to get in a cabin full of people. Add a big pillow, a duvet and you're away ...
Try for example doing this flight in CXs new business class or fly SQ Suites or EK First on some aircraft and try to take this statement as anything but a poorly researched and incompetent lie.
Entertainment:
Movies with a surprisingly big screen that swivels around. Had some pretty recent movies too and a wider variety than I'm used to in economy.
The screen is tiny compared to what SQ is offering. NZ have the same movie selection in all classes.
The service:
Fantastic. From explaining how the bed works to a cheery good morning, they made a long overnight flight that much more bearable.
Well I guess we can give them the benefit of the doubt on that point as it does vary from flight to flight. In the extreme.
Food and drink:
The second-best part, after the bed. A glass of champagne when we boarded (it was night, so we indulged) and regular offers throughout the first half of the trip. The food was delivered on a crisp white cloth and they got out the best silver. Great selection of wines, Kiwi of course, and there are snacks at the self-service areas at the rear of Business Premier.
Sparking wine is served pre-departure. This is not Champagne. I have never found NZ's table cloths to be crisp and if that is "the best silver" then it should have been flogged to the highest bidder who would strip it some time ago (much like the airline itself come to think of it).
The toilets:
A bit more room than normal, but pretty standard, as there isn't much you can do to make it appealing.
I don't do Economy so I wouldn't necessarily know, but I would have thought the toilets were the same size. There are few exceptions in the world, e.g. LH's latest F product and EK 380. Also SQ 777s the toilet in front of 1L is huge. On NZ 772s in particular I find them particularly small.
Luggage:
Standard luggage.
Air New Zealand attempt to offer Priority luggage handling to half the plane, including Business Class.
[B]The airport experience:
Hong Kong International Airport's Star Alliance lounge. Plenty to eat and drink, a selection of international newspapers, comfy chairs. The bathrooms weren't as flash as I expected, but decent, although it didn't look as if there were enough showers, given the queue.
Er...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.