Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

"Seat select not available on this flight" problem

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I wanted to check which seat I had selected and got the following message for my return flight: "Seat select not available on this flight"
Anyone encountered this problem too? I can select a seat for my flight to AKL (from PVG) but not for the return flight (AKL-NRT). Its the same booking/reservation number and both flight are with NZ.

Thanks
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: NZ G, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by barney78
Hi,

I wanted to check which seat I had selected and got the following message for my return flight: "Seat select not available on this flight"
Anyone encountered this problem too? I can select a seat for my flight to AKL (from PVG) but not for the return flight (AKL-NRT). Its the same booking/reservation number and both flight are with NZ.

Thanks
Lots of bugs in the seat select system.

Give them a call.
codyc1515 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Similar message encountered when the aircraft type is being changed eg 772 replaced with 767. Lasted until the replacement type was confirmed.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:27 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Similar message encountered when the aircraft type is being changed eg 772 replaced with 767. Lasted until the replacement type was confirmed.
Can second that, had it several times before when an aircraft was being swapped. Thankfully everytime to a 772
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:56 pm

Still got issues

[QUOTE=barney78;20115154]Hi,

Thanks[/QUOTE

We booked side seats on nz7 heading back from SFO to AKL.. Our seats were changed and air nz swears it was us who changed them and fobbed us off. There are a bunch of others who've also had the same issue and there are a lot of annoyed people on the flight... Not good air nz
Old Sep 28, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Pat Pilcher

We booked side seats on nz7 heading back from SFO to AKL.. Our seats were changed and air nz swears it was us who changed them and fobbed us off. There are a bunch of others who've also had the same issue and there are a lot of annoyed people on the flight... Not good air nz
In NZ’s terms and conditions they do not that Seat Select is only an request and that may change seat allocations around as like wish.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
In NZ’s terms and conditions they do not that Seat Select is only an request and that may change seat allocations around as like wish.
And pretty much every other airline as well
Old Sep 28, 2019, 6:46 am

Yes term and conditions and butt covering I'd at least understand. If that'd been Air NZ's answer to us, I'd grudgigly accept. It'd b annoying but such is life.

Air NZ's call centre checked the booking history and instead claimed that we had booked those seats - We hadn't I watched side seats get selected. They then said via twitter "...These are the only seats for this sector that had been selected in the system.". The person seated next to us has also been bumped from side to middle seats too - after selecting her seat via the air nz website. If Air NZ is going to fob us off with a lie, they could have at least made it plausible, this is as bizarre as it is improbable.

Don't get me wrong. I get that Air NZ can exercise discretion, it is incredibly annoying that seat select defeats the entire purpose of its existence when it is only an arbitrary "might work option". But being told it was our fault and then being lied to just adds insult to injury given the amount of money we spent with Air NZ. Not impressed

Last edited by Pat Pilcher; Sep 28, 2019 at 7:26 am
Old Sep 28, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
I’ve been told ‘I had changed my seats’ before.
And I hadn’t.......

after a number of grumpy emails to them it transpires that if NZ agents make a change it is Air NZ who appears to have made the change, but if after it is released to the airport, a non-airport person in ops or revenue makes the change, unless they fully audit the booking, it appears like you have made the change. Someone else may describe the process better!!!

given they do this often it should be widely known, but most ground agents are clueless to it. The agent probably genuinely thought you made the change.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
As someone whose business regularly has people claim they did things that it really looks like in our system they didn't, I can understand both sides feel, as in the agent in the phone whose data tells them one thing and the customer who didn't select it.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I've been moved multiple times in the past few years, incl last year where my boarding pass even scanned green and I walked onto the plane and spotted somebody in my PE seat. F/A was standing right there and unprompted says "thank you got offering to move so this couple could sit together your new seat is over here". I didn't really have much to say as I couldn't quite think what to say!
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I go through periodic on-off fears of flying, hilariously enough & in the midst of one of those times, sitting next to a window greatly mitigates it. But having a fear of flying & being stuck in a flying metal tube zooming through the sky for 14/15/16/17/18 hours is not fun!

It's why one day I was pretty distressed when I discovered I'd been moved by Qantas from the window to the middle. There were a lot of issues surrounding how that ended up happening that I won't go into, but finding out at the gate I'd been moved to the middle when combined with my lack of sleep from my 6am connection made for a very anxious & regrettable reaction.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Just encountered the following today when completing a booking for next week, the flight is NZ125 (scheduled as a 787-9) AKL-MEL.

I have never seen this before?

Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Looking at schedules NZ125 is a 777-200 scheduled roster from the end of Oct until Xmas. I suspect it's been a last minute aircraft swap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.