Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air New Zealand - When "business class" equals 1st class (and when it does not)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:06 am
Original Poster

ANZ doesn't offer first class on International flights, only business class. But Business Class means drastically different things on different airplanes.

Flew "Premiem Econony" on purchased ANZ flight from AKL to LAX. Because of late purchase date PE was only about $300 (USD) more than economy. Flight was on 777-300. It was what I would characterize as comparable to business class on other three cabin flights on other airlines. Seats were six across (2-2-2) in a herringbone pattern, very spacious, great service, but not lie-flat. Business Class (which was about $4,000 more than economy) was four across true lie flat and looked great.

By comparison, Flew ANZ Business Class on saver award from HNL to ACK on 767-300. Was marginally comparable to domestic first class, mediocre room and food, not lie flat. Was not even comparable to Premium Economy on 777-300 flight.

I knew the seat size from seatguru but was still quite disappointed with what business class amounted to on the 767 flight.

Last edited by IOIOIOIOIO; Jan 7, 2013 at 5:10 am Reason: make more complete
Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:44 am

I haven't tried it myself, but ANZ PE is supposed to be the best hard product out there. Good to hear you enjoyed it, although pity about the 767 J
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by IOIOIOIOIO
By comparison, Flew ANZ Business Class on saver award from HNL to ACK on 767-300. Was marginally comparable to domestic first class, mediocre room and food, not lie flat. Was not even comparable to Premium Economy on 777-300 flight..
I take it you meant AKL (Auckland) and not ACK (Nantucket, MA). If NZ is flying between Hawaii and Nantucket, please let me know
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Business class is lie-flat Business Premier on the 747-400, 777-200ER, and 777-300ER aircraft. The 767-300ER aircraft have the much older recliner-style business class seating. The service should be very similar if not outright identical on all aircraft (subject to route/catering constraints).

I would not consider Premium Economy (and it would sound like you were on the 773) equivalent to business class on any airline.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Originally Posted by ajnz

I would not consider Premium Economy (and it would sound like you were on the 773) equivalent to business class on any airline.
Well, it's definitely better than the Domestic F on the UA Ghetto Bird! HNL-ORD was a painful experience
Old Jan 8, 2013, 2:47 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
No PE, including Air NZ Spaceseats matches business class on any major reputable airline for long haul. Although the NZ Spaceseats are very good PE products, the main complaint I have about them is the fidgety recline mechanism and the lack of a legrest/footrest (which puts the QF PE product as the nearest rival). I have flown long haul business several times a year most years for the last 15 years, and the recliner products of various carriers in the 90s still beat the Spaceseat.

I don't even think the Spaceseats match the 767 Business Class product, except for seat width, as the recline is significantly less and there is no legrest, bearing in mind that I used to fly on that seat between NZ and Singapore in the 90s.

Having said that, Business Premier today is superior to the First Class of the past in terms of sleep comfort, but is a shadow of the soft product service that was once available in catering on board (and indeed is a step down from the soft product that was business class, which once had trollies of desserts, fruit, cheese platters to choose from and be served from).

However, I understand anyone who has had the laughable "1st class" product on US domestic carriers as a comparator would think it is wonderful, even though I'd compare US domestic 1st class catering to second rate international economy class catering, and the seating to that which used to be business class on domestic flights in NZ (until it was scrapped).
Old Jan 13, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
It's all very clear on the website and when booking
Old Jan 13, 2013, 7:40 pm

And noone (AFAIK) offers up to date Business class on South Pacific to Hawaii routes..

HA is like USA domestic F (can't comment on the new A330's but I'll be staggered if they have proper lie flats in Biz)

QF has recliners like NZ.... and get the same complaints....

(And in small defence of US domestic F it has 2 great features... It credits as FIRST!! ..and it beats the crap out of "Eurobusiness"...)
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:45 pm

Programs: NZ*E
When it is not
- No dedicated lounge (with special menus and extra options)
- No special recognition at check-in (some airlines offer F pax abilities to sit down while everything is sorted)
- No pick/up drop off service from major airports
- Limited selection of meals on menu
- Cabin a bit over crowded (having 26 seats sharing 3 toilets and also with 36 pax from PE)
- Cheap looking amenity kit
- No PJ
- Not enough storage at seat
- Cabin not decorated enough/seats showing its age
- TV screen not big enough

When it is
- staff are generally good
- Flat bed (but then this is the minimum)

maybe I am just a bit harsh.... as always..... the F on CX, SQ, EK, AF looks superior and NO match to NZ's J but of course, it is not fair since their are true F class

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.