Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OneUp Results Summary thus far

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2013, 1:23 am

Programs: DL, UA
I bid A100 on a 767 Econ-Business One-Up NAN-AKL and failed. Totally strange was that when boarding flight the Business cabin was about 15% full only and I was last to board or close to last, so I'm confused why the system will allow a minimum bid and it doesn't get accepted when there's no competing bids higher. Surely NZ wanted the extra revenue, or is it just the point they're trying to make that my bid was 'weak'?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 2:22 am

Programs: NZ G, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by cakiwi
I bid A100 on a 767 Econ-Business One-Up NAN-AKL and failed. Totally strange was that when boarding flight the Business cabin was about 15% full only and I was last to board or close to last, so I'm confused why the system will allow a minimum bid and it doesn't get accepted when there's no competing bids higher. Surely NZ wanted the extra revenue, or is it just the point they're trying to make that my bid was 'weak'?
2 things or more to consider:

1. Incremental cost per seat for business class catering
2. Not cheapening the business product. Otherwise no one will buy busies. Everyone will buy economy and hope for a business class upgrade on the cheap.

Best bet is to use the excellent sticky guide to one Ups so far. This should provide guidance as to one up bids. You may need to be a trailblazer and provide the first result between your particular travel
points.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 2:25 am

Programs: NZ Elite, Koru Life, QF Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Le Club Accor Plat, Carlson Gold
Wow it was lucky that she bid $300APD otherwise may have not got accepted - our 767 only had 5 pax and one of those was a AirNZ pilot! My RU never got cleared until check-in, I thought the business must of been full, I will in future trust ExpertFlyer on the seat loadings...
Old Mar 17, 2013, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Marriott Plat., UA, NZ
Hi folks,

Just updating the database and trying to keep everything comparable. Questions on two recent bids, Gypcat does your wife have any NZ status? (i.e. was there an "uplift" to her bid?) And, cakiwi, was your bid AU$100 or 100 APD? And do you have any status as well?

Thanks,

BbTrumpet
Old Mar 17, 2013, 4:16 am

Programs: NZ Elite, Koru Life, QF Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Le Club Accor Plat, Carlson Gold
Hi BbTrumpet,

My wife is just a Koru member

Cheers
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by BbTrumpet
Hi folks,

Just updating the database and trying to keep everything comparable. Questions on two recent bids, Gypcat does your wife have any NZ status? (i.e. was there an "uplift" to her bid?) And, cakiwi, was your bid AU$100 or 100 APD? And do you have any status as well?

Thanks,

BbTrumpet
Hi mine was 100 per pax (2 in the reservation) as APD. Gold status.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by robbau
2 things or more to consider:

1. Incremental cost per seat for business class catering
2. Not cheapening the business product. Otherwise no one will buy busies. Everyone will buy economy and hope for a business class upgrade on the cheap.

Best bet is to use the excellent sticky guide to one Ups so far. This should provide guidance as to one up bids. You may need to be a trailblazer and provide the first result between your particular travel
points.
understand but why allow the system to accept 'minimum' bids if they're not going to accept them when the time comes, they have space available. They should set the minimum at the actual minimum they'll accept. In my case I was happy with Economy, but prepared to spend a little for an upgrade. Maybe the minimum sometimes will work?
Old Mar 19, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: NZ *E
0neup declined

Gold member
economy to business
AKL- Apia 7th March $100.00 plus uplift, Declined

Apia - AKL 14th March $160.00 plus uplift, Declined

Both flights had plenty of seats empty in business class, thought the second leg would have gone through?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: NZ*E & DL Minion. Former QF & EK
AKL-SFO, Y to PE, $220 plus Gold uplift.

Declined with 2 seats left in U
Old Mar 21, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
That is why I am reluctant to give up GE. You would have been able to immediately confirm 2 seats in PE at $220 if you were GE.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Data updated March 25th. Got off NZ8 last night, very frustrated that I was stuck in the back without the ability to request an upgrade due to late booking.

I've also developed a new web version of this data with a little map-based interface. PM me if you're interested in seeing/testing it before I put it out "for real."

-Bb
Old Mar 26, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: NZ GE
Silver status

NZ1
LHR - LAX Economy - PE $528 cleared
LAX - AKL Economy - PE $660 declined

Really wanted the second leg, so bid higher, then reduced bid by $50 after reading this thread - who knows what it would have taken?? Don't like the lack of transparency of it all. But did get to spend the "savings" in Heathrow instead
Old Mar 26, 2013, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwifly
Silver status

NZ1
LHR - LAX Economy - PE $528 cleared
LAX - AKL Economy - PE $660 declined

For Kiwifly: are your bid amounts inclusive of the 10% Silver bonus? And are they NZD/Airpoints denominated? (I assume so)

Thanks
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:53 pm

I know, which is why I'm happy that I'll move up to GE in a month.

Also, just found out from AirNZ:

SFO-AKL, Y to PE, $280 plus Gold uplift.

Accepted with 4+ seats left in U

Originally Posted by pbl22
That is why I am reluctant to give up GE. You would have been able to immediately confirm 2 seats in PE at $220 if you were GE.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 3:30 pm

AKL-HKG, Y to PE, $280 plus Gold uplift.

Declined with 4 seats left in U and 3 left in E.

The ironic thing is that under the standby system, I had a 100% success rate upgrading on this route, and 0% under OneUp. If the routes I fly on were not completely captured by NZ I would have switched.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.