Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Now Pay for exit rows - "Fly Customised"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Now Pay for exit rows - "Fly Customised"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: NZ*E, EK Blue, QF Gold
For some reason, for nearly all my flights, this new system either doesn't show a Seat Select option, or indicates that Seat Select is not available as the flight is not operated by Air NZ.

A flight in less than 48 hours time, shows Seat Select not available as flight not operated by Air NZ

3 other flight bookings with a total of 7 sectors, only 1 sector allows me to select a seat.

A call to the reservations team says it is because all the flights were booked by a travel agent. Unsure if this needs to be investigated further, as the same travel company has booked the majority of my flights for at least the past 7-8 years and can't ever recall not being able to select seating on so many flights.

I am *GE, so would be nice to try and get this resolved.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:23 pm

Programs: air NZ
Post Air NZ Reply

Originally Posted by pbl22
But I assume from these T&Cs that the 48-hour free-for-all-G/GEs is not available on Night Rider services?
Hi,
As correctly pointed out in the T&C's, night rider flights do not contain HVC seating benefits due to the extremely low fares we charge $29!.

These seats however will be accessable for free 48 hours out for HVC’s.

Thanks
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:30 pm

Programs: air NZ
Post Air NZ reply

Originally Posted by kiwi_harry
For some reason, for nearly all my flights, this new system either doesn't show a Seat Select option, or indicates that Seat Select is not available as the flight is not operated by Air NZ.

A flight in less than 48 hours time, shows Seat Select not available as flight not operated by Air NZ

3 other flight bookings with a total of 7 sectors, only 1 sector allows me to select a seat.

A call to the reservations team says it is because all the flights were booked by a travel agent. Unsure if this needs to be investigated further, as the same travel company has booked the majority of my flights for at least the past 7-8 years and can't ever recall not being able to select seating on so many flights.

I am *GE, so would be nice to try and get this resolved.
if you message me a PNR i will look into it for you. Thanks
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:52 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by AlastairR
Hi,
As correctly pointed out in the T&C's, night rider flights do not contain HVC seating benefits due to the extremely low fares we charge $29!.

Thanks
Thanks for clarifying Alastair and I very much appreciate your contributions to these pages.

I have just rang the Premium Desk to enquire as to why a domestic booking I have in <48 hours (on a full Y fare) has no seat selection option, whereas every one of a further 20+ bookings (mainly GAS fares) can let me seat select. They seemed nonplussed at first, then got a tech person to help, then admitted that they were having a number of technical issues with the new seating regime and couldn't even look in and see the seat map for my flights.

Hopefully these teething issues get sorted out soon.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Yeah seems to be a whole lot of techical issues with seat selection.

My two flights today DUC-CHC, followed by CHC-AKL originally seated in 4D on both legs (and were still showing this Monday). However on check in today they had been reallocated 1E.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
Yeah seems to be a whole lot of techical issues with seat selection.

My two flights today DUC-CHC, followed by CHC-AKL originally seated in 4D on both legs (and were still showing this Monday). However on check in today they had been reallocated 1E.
Reallocation to a middle seat for a HVC is poor form.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 9:19 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by AlastairR
Hi,

I do find it fascinating the nickle-and-diming approach taken to the rest of the business/products (to the ongoing angst of a clear market segment) while the Nightrider fares remain at $29, even though I'm sure there was demand for late night flights from people ready and willing to pay more for them. (Hint: I was one for a number of years in the AKL-WLG direction).

It seems in-congruent to say the least...
Old Dec 8, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
In Sydney, flying back this afternoon. On Friday went to a lot of trouble to request my favoured seat for SYD-AKL this afternoon, Was told OK, that should be OK. Yesterday my wife rang Air NZ to request row 17 for me for my AKL-PMR flight, was also told OK. Checked this morning by making a "fake booking" and the seats I was told OK to were shown as available, therefore not mine. Had to ring back yet again (doesn't show online because booked through a travel agent) and re-request.
What sort of weird behaviour is it from Air NZ when a GE customer on a full fare business class ticket can't successfully request seats?
How can an airline which has such excellent staff generally make such a mess of this area?
Can Air NZ answer three questions:
Is it reasonable for a GE customer on a full business class fare to be able to request and get preferred seats?
If so, why is this not happening?
Does Air NZ ever say "sorry" anymore, or is this all part of the policy to drive HVC's away?

Has anyone compared the benefits of QF Platinum vs Air NZ GE. Talking to a guy at dinner last night and they seem to get amazing treatment.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by edmm

Has anyone compared the benefits of QF Platinum vs Air NZ GE. Talking to a guy at dinner last night and they seem to get amazing treatment.
30 months ago? GE > WP ...

These days? GE << WP ...
Old Dec 8, 2012, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
30 months ago? GE > WP ...

These days? GE << WP ...
100% agree with Serfty here.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 5:24 pm

Programs: QF Platinum / LTS, Air NZ Gold Elite, Velocity Silver, OW Emerald, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pbl22
100% agree with Serfty here.
+1 from me as well. Overall I would rate my WP experience above that of what GE has become.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:04 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold RIP); Airpoints Gold Elite; Flying Blue Gold; Emirates, Gold; Qantas, Platinum
+1 from me, too. Great SYD international lounge and I have been op-upped 3 times as a result of my status.

Plus the EK deal will enhance TT earning.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:56 pm

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
This new "choice" is very inconsistent.

My experience so far with this new "product choice" has been one of adding injury to insult to injury again!

Flying an ATR gives you the "choice" of paying $10 for a preferred seat in the back(row 16 or 17) near the boarding door(which is great!) and, according to the web-site," you’ll also get priority boarding privileges for an even more relaxing journey." Here's where it fails...

I have yet to see this being implemented in any way. In fact all my boarding calls for ATRs have asked passengers seated in rows 1-10 to embark first. The result being that these passengers sometimes fill up the overhead bins near the rear of the aircraft and not necessarily the ones above their seats. Also remember that the bins above rows 16 and 17 are for flight attendants use only.

It just seems NZ makes these changes based purely on how it affects their bottom line and neglects to study the practicality of them.

Would be interested to see if anyone here has heard of a boarding call for "preferred seats"...

To end on a positive note: The new ATR-600 is more comfortable and quieter than the 500.

Cheers.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by johnnyfive
Would be interested to see if anyone here has heard of a boarding call for "preferred seats"...
Actually, I was thinking of exactly this on Friday. I have had 8 flights since Fri morning and on NOT ONE has there been any "priority boarding" for those who paid for Preferred Seats. 6 were jet flights, with the standard "Gold, Gold Elite and *G can board at any time" after calling either the back rows first or (at AKL where they were boarding both front and rear through separate doors but at the same time) "window seats" first. The other 2 were Q300s where there is never any priority (although that is still quoted as a feature of the Preferred Seats).

To be honest, I don't think NZ domestic really ever "police" the priority boarding (such as it is), so this is hardly a benefit.

Good to hear about the ATR-600. I look forward to flying one some day.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 1:59 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
premium seats on the Beech 1900D

Now this is just getting silly

Just booked my wife and daughter some flights on the soon to be no more (shame on you Air NZ!) Christchurch Wanaka route from January

They gave me the wonderful option of paying $20 to select "premium seats" on this plane. Those of you who have flown on this 19 seat very basic aircraft will know what a ridiculous concept this is

The "premium" seats seemed to be row 2 and 3. Do these "premium' seats receive priority boarding as well?

this goes beyond revenue management and is just totally fleecing their customers. one could almost take this to Advertising Standards Authority if one could be bothered, as its arguably false advertising to try and position those seats as being "premium"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.