Visa-free access to CZ elites?

Old Nov 13, 12, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G, DJ S

Slightly off-topic, but according to Winston Peters: "Confidential Immigration NZ papers show a plan for visas to be rubber stamped for Gold and Silver cardholders of China Southern Airline's frequent flyer club. All the visa requirements would be waived. This is an abuse of our border control and the visitor visa system."

If there is any truth to this, I wonder if this would be reciprocal for NZ's G/GE customers.
Old Nov 13, 12, 8:08 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Winston never lets facts get in the way of a good story. He's blown it out of proportion.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...y-NZ-visa-pass

There are some elements of this proposal which concern me however.
Old Nov 13, 12, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

...I don't see any evidence of a reciprocity deal. That sucks.
Old Nov 13, 12, 8:34 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by Shazzadude View Post
...I don't see any evidence of a reciprocity deal. That sucks.
What reciprocity? The article makes clear that there will be no visa free travel. It only means CZ elites will need to provide less documents when applying for a NZ visa. For New Zealanders, Chinese visas are just formalities anyway.
Old Nov 13, 12, 10:16 pm

... A further leaked email shows Immigration's national manager of intelligence and risk, Shaun Driscoll, raised concerns the deal risked "imported criminality".

Being a frequent flier was "hardly a mitigation factor", he said.

"Every international criminal I have come across is probably a member of such a club."
Old Nov 13, 12, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xiaotung View Post
What reciprocity? The article makes clear that there will be no visa free travel. It only means CZ elites will need to provide less documents when applying for a NZ visa. For New Zealanders, Chinese visas are just formalities anyway.
China has recently increased the requirements for New Zealanders to obtain a visa, including proof of income, a letter from your employer etc. Before this one could just being a filled out application form, your passport and the cash.
Old Nov 14, 12, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, NZ*G
China has recently increased the requirements for New Zealanders to obtain a visa, including proof of income, a letter from your employer etc. Before this one could just being a filled out application form, your passport and the cash.
Makes you - or at least me - wonder why we are loosening things for (albeit a fraction of) them when they are tightening things for us.

I've never had to provide all that for China, so it must be very new. I always had to prove that I was leaving again through producing my return ticket out, but I always felt the whole process was just a revenue-generating formality. Are these new requirements also for tourists? (employer, income etc). What do students do - letter from university??
Old Nov 14, 12, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

China's move to tighten up visa regulations was retaliatory, after we tightened up after the dodgy visa scandals that were found to have gone on in our Beijing embassy. I presume this is meant to be some sort of appeasement.
Old Nov 14, 12, 1:24 pm

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
If you are doing regular business in China then best to get an APEC card which gives you 2 years, multiple entry to China- no need to apply for a visa each time. Also is cheaper at around $150 for 2 years.
Old Nov 15, 12, 4:37 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Gold, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold

APEC Card is for three years.
Old Nov 17, 12, 8:14 pm

Programs: NZ*E & DL Minion. Former QF & EK
Originally Posted by Xiaotung View Post
Very expensive formalities.
Old Nov 18, 12, 2:04 pm

Programs: NZ*E, EK Blue, QF Gold
On a slightly different topic, why is it that at AKL Airport, if you are flying out on Emirates in Business of First Class or hold a Silver/Gold FF card, that you can get immigration pre-clearance at the couter by the check-in desks. No such privileges for Air NZ premium customers, although it used to be available in the past.
Old Nov 18, 12, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by kiwi_harry View Post
On a slightly different topic, why is it that at AKL Airport, if you are flying out on Emirates in Business of First Class or hold a Silver/Gold FF card, that you can get immigration pre-clearance at the couter by the check-in desks. No such privileges for Air NZ premium customers, although it used to be available in the past.
Does the lift from the Air NZ 'Premium' check-in to two dedicated emmigration counters not work for you?
Old Nov 18, 12, 3:40 pm

Programs: NZ*E, EK Blue, QF Gold
Originally Posted by ntddevsys View Post
Does the lift from the Air NZ 'Premium' check-in to two dedicated emmigration counters not work for you?
Oops. Must have my blinkers on. Never been pointed out to me by the check-in staff either. Did about 5 international trips too this year.

(Walks away all embarrased!!)
Old Nov 18, 12, 5:06 pm

Programs: Asiana Silver (2012), AirNZ Jade
Originally Posted by craver View Post
Makes you - or at least me - wonder why we are loosening things for (albeit a fraction of) them when they are tightening things for us.

I've never had to provide all that for China, so it must be very new. I always had to prove that I was leaving again through producing my return ticket out, but I always felt the whole process was just a revenue-generating formality. Are these new requirements also for tourists? (employer, income etc). What do students do - letter from university??
According to this application form - on the Adobe Reader refer to pages 10 and 12. All applicants including tourists need to say who their employer or school is. Full contacts - telephone, address etc.
http://www.chinaembassy.org.nz/eng/g...1086038611.pdf
Pages 10 are for all applicants, page 12 is for those who intend to work or study.

Heard it before, students coming to NZ to study needs a confirmation from the NZ university before student visas are finally approved. That means without that they could be stopped at the NZ border. Probably communicated electronically. I know that NZ students with the university does that with the student loans etc. For the students been for a couple of years ... and then every year or so ... they need to visit the embassy or equiv to complete further paperwork. This was in 2000. An American student I know, stayed here for Xmas had to visit them to finish some paperwork. They are on longer term student visas. When folks went to China

Last edited by rayonline; Nov 18, 12 at 5:27 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: