Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Pay for Sky Couch or hope for Twin Seat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

I'm hoping you can help give me some advice with a "How long is a piece of string?" question.

My wife and I are flying NZ2 to London on the 25th of November and we're tossing up various upgrade options to make the long flight more enjoyable. We're both Jade and booking class T.

The options are:
1. Make a One Up bid to PE on one of the Legs
2. Pay to upgrade to Sky Couch
3. Cross fingers to buy for a Twin Seat at check in

One Up's a bit risky and I'm nervous about paying ~$1200 to upgrade to Sky Couch and finding that the plane's fairly empty. Based on the numbers below and your experiences, can anyone give me advice?

Do I bite the Sky Couch bullet and guarantee an extra seat?
Or risk Twin Seat given that the flight looks to have quite a few empty economy seats?

NZ2 AKL to LAX:
C4 D4 Z4 J4 U7 E7 O7 A7 Y7 B7 M7 H7 Q7 V7 W7 T7 L1 S0 G0 X0 K0 P0
NZ2 LAX to LHR:
C4 D1 Z0 J0 U7 E7 O6 A0 Y7 B7 M7 H7 Q7 V7 W7 T7 L7 S7 G0 X0 K0 P0

Thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NZ*E, PC Platinum RA
If you haven't already, it would be worth seating yourself in a window and aisle seat leaving an empty middle. If you're lucky, the seat will stay empty. If it doesn't, I am sure the middle-seater will have no issues swapping with one of you.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Good idea!

I gave it a go, but the seat selector only shows 57E / F available.

I rang Air NZ and the agent said there's currently ~40 economy seats free on the first leg and ~30 on the second so I guess they block out potential Sky Couch seats until close to departure.

He suggested asking for Twin Seat at check in and pointed out that "you can upgrade to Sky Couch at check in".

So that might be the best bet!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Air NZ lowly Jade now, Emirates
I've learnt something new today... had never heard of the twin seat option??? How long has this been around for I wonder?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 7:50 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by Susiew237
I've learnt something new today... had never heard of the twin seat option??? How long has this been around for I wonder?
A few years now I think.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
For the interested...

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/buy-a...at-at-check-in
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if there have been any 'territorial' issues with the twin-seat?

I can imagine that for some, it might get awkward to enforce their 'rights' to the empty seat when the other other person dumps all of their junk into the what would usually be an equally shared spare seat.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:20 am

This is totally against the rules and I know that, but it works for me who normally travels solo...

When I fly on a fairly full economy flight, I make sure i'm the last person to board the plane... normally just before they page. Knowing your the last one to board, you can see where everyone is sitting, and if there is a spare two seats, just take one.

They way I think of it, you could move seats as soon as you where in the air, and it really just saves that mad rush you get sometimes with people running for the clear rows.

The Twin Seat is something I had not heard of, and I think is fairly well priced for what it is.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:43 am
formerly kiwi_norway

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC
Originally Posted by deaconknives
The Twin Seat is something I had not heard of, and I think is fairly well priced for what it is.
Completely agree! $99 for a guaranteed empty seat next to you? I'd take that over the price increase to PE, if only it could be booked before check-in.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I wonder if there have been any 'territorial' issues with the twin-seat?

I can imagine that for some, it might get awkward to enforce their 'rights' to the empty seat when the other other person dumps all of their junk into the what would usually be an equally shared spare seat.
I'm guessing that each 'guaranteed empty' seat gets sold twice, once to the person on each side, which could lead to some interesting arguments
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:56 am

Programs: QF Gold, UA*G, AZ Freccia Alata - SkyTeam Elite Plus
At the check in line the other day, an Air NZ staff member was walking through the queue promoting the twin seat to couples. Nice upselling, worked on the older couple behind me who I could hear discussing it afterwards.

Incidentally, I had a free seat next to me on the fairly full flight. Didn't use it for anything but liked the extra room and not having to fight for the middle arm rest, and my aisle neighbour stored his bag under the middle seat.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Smile One Up

Hi all,

Thanks for your responses. In the end I put through One Up bids and just got the notification that we're being upgraded Y -> PE.

So that solves that question!

Thanks again !
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
Question First time flying NZ

Originally Posted by NZ*Trout
If you haven't already, it would be worth seating yourself in a window and aisle seat leaving an empty middle. If you're lucky, the seat will stay empty. If it doesn't, I am sure the middle-seater will have no issues swapping with one of you.

sorry for the slight thread hijack...

We are trying to book a window and aisle ala the strategy above, but the website won't allow it! The only options are to buy 2 seats together or split to separate rows. Is this an NZ policy or a glitch or???

Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, NZ*E, PC Platinum RA
Originally Posted by shell nyc
We are trying to book a window and aisle ala the strategy above, but the website won't allow it! The only options are to buy 2 seats together or split to separate rows. Is this an NZ policy or a glitch or???
That's a "feature" of the NZ's online seat select process. You'll have to ring the call center (or travel agent, if booked that way) to ask for two non-adjacent seats.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NZ*Trout
That's a "feature" of the NZ's online seat select process. You'll have to ring the call center (or travel agent, if booked that way) to ask for two non-adjacent seats.
This has changed, at least for domestic.

There is now a 'radio button' allowing you to select 'set a group' or 'seat individually' in the seat selection page showing in all of my domestic bookings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.