Wiki Posts
Search

AIRNZ Premium headsets vs your own

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ EP
AIRNZ Premium headsets vs your own

Following on from another recent thread, I thought I'd start this to get an idea on FTers thoughts on the BP/ PE headsets and comparisons to their own sets.

I've had about 3 sets of BlackBox C18 NR earphones (always leaving them behind on domestic!!), and recently compared them to the premium headsets on AIRNZ (772, if it makes a difference).

I found the set I had in BP a few months ago to be very good, however that may have had something to do with the fact that the front of the plane is quieter. Really nice sound, good cut out of exterior noise, and comparable to my C18s soundwise. AIRNZ set was more comfortable due to them being over-ear.

The set I cheekily used in Economy (seat 35-ish), were not as good. Not sure if this was due to there being a difference in BP vs PE product, or the increase in cabin noise. My C18s much better this time around.

What are others' experiences?? Keen to hear of headphone experiences/ recommendations (and to move away from recent whine-fest topics on here
Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NZ*E, PC Platinum RA
My traveling earphones are a pair of Etymotic hf5 earbuds. They are noise isolating, not noise canceling, but they eliminate noise far better than any noise canceling headset I have come across. Smaller and no batteries to boot.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
I use Blackbox M10 Noise Cancelling headphones - pretty good given the price also!

http://www.blackboxonline.com/nz/products/m10/
Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:17 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Fairly happy with my now elderly Bose QC2s, and Sennheiser CX300 (or MM30i depending on which bag I grab). I've found the headphones in BP are not as comfortable or as good as the QC2s, particularly for sleeping.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:18 pm

Programs: NZ, IHG, Hilton, Accor, Hertz, FoundersCard
I'm far from a Bose fanboy, but I went for the QC15s. Awesome noise-cancelling ability. For the past two years, What Hi-Fi have agreed: http://www.whathifi.com/review/bose-quietcomfort-15
Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:21 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
I had a pair of etymotic er3's (or something). They were ridiculously expensive, but very good, until the cord actually broke off from the earpiece.

Now (and have for a few years) use Blackbox i10s, which are designed for iDevices only. I really like them.

But, I still want something better than the BP headsets to plug into the aircraft sockets.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:27 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Air NZ lowly Jade now, Emirates
I've got the blackbox m10's also and am very happy with them, but am in no way a sound purist. I wanted them for noise cancelling specifically and they do help. I would probably say the Bose NC's are slightly more comfy on the ear but at twice the price, I felt I could live with the M10's. Dont like in ear phones at all as I actually like to sleep with mine on.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:27 pm

Programs: NZ*E
I guess I am not answering your original question directly...
but I agree that the noise cancelling provided to BP/GE pax are good enough for me, I am too lazy to bring my own and the cost of leaving it on board is just too great! just too many pieces to carry, especially with the 3 point connector....

what I am trying to say here is, I HATE the sharp noise the jack makes on AirNZ
on several occasion that sharp noise it makes hurt my ears and I am sure it damage my hearing..... does anyone know if that is poor jacks or what?

I find it very annoying that sometimes that sharp noise is made whenever the cable is touched or moved, it is rather challenging not to "not" touch it when you have all the recline you kind of want on BP!

the funny thing is, I think it is 99% the jack coz I was on the first commercial flight on ZK-OKN and I was on the brand new seat, the jack works perfectly the WHOLE flight!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 1:29 am

Programs: QF Platinum / LTS, Air NZ Gold Elite, Velocity Silver, OW Emerald, Hertz PC
Bose QC15's for me. Expensive but when I spend >8 hours per week flying, a great investment. Certainly much better than the BP ones and IMO superior to the ones NZ provide as their Christmas gift choice.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 1:51 am

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by Rotodavid123
IMO superior to the ones NZ provide as their Christmas gift choice.
What type are the NZGE Christmas gift headphones? Having missed out on being a GE the past few Christmases, I haven't had a chance for these, but am looking forward to this year's gift (assuming NZ still gives GEs a gift and that the phones are on there).

Last edited by pbl22; Oct 30, 2012 at 3:45 am
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:52 am

Programs: QF Platinum / LTS, Air NZ Gold Elite, Velocity Silver, OW Emerald, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pbl22
What type are the NZGE Christmas gift headphones? Having missed out on being a GE the past few Christmases, I haven't had a chance for these, but am looking forward to this year's gift (assuming NZ still gives GEs a gift and that the phones are on there).
I think they are a Blackbox but not sure what model. Someone else might be able to confirm.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I think so, as I nearly brought a set on TradeMe from someone who had acquired a set (GE gift I suppose). In the end I grabbed a set of Panasonic NC that does the trick for the moment with my low flying rate.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:24 am

Sennheiser PXC450 seems to beat all the business class supplied ones, I have given up comparing.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 4:20 pm

Programs: NZ G, QF G, Accor Plat
The on board ones aren't great; I use some Sony noise cancelling ones. I'm also not sure how the supplied BP ones are cleaned.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 4:52 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
On HKG-LHR in BP a week or so ago there were not even noise cancelling headphones at all... Not sure if that was a one-off or a sign of bad things to come.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.