Wiki Posts
Search

recognition upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2012, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Airnz Elite
recognition upgrades

Has anyone gone for a two class upgrade then been given a single class upgrade to PE due to the BP being full ?
Or is it all or nothing ?
Old Oct 13, 2012, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
On TT some have used recognition upgrades to go to Works Deluxe, which seems sub-optimal. Not sure about long haul, but I would say if you were happy to travel in PE then NZ probably wouldn't object.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:57 pm

I have - SFO to AKL in April this year. I'd put in for the double upgrade, nothing came through; I was advised at the checkin that there were two Gold Elites ahead of me for two remaining business class seats (I'm NZ Gold) and therefore I wouldn't be getting my upgrade - but after I got to the lounge, they called me to the counter and offered me an upgrade to premium economy instead. No fuss. The only issue was that the extra upgrade wasn't re-credited to my account until I called the premium team, but from my experience that happens fairly often with any failed upgrade request anyway. Hope this helps.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

upgrades

Originally Posted by spintwin
I have - SFO to AKL in April this year. I'd put in for the double upgrade, nothing came through; I was advised at the checkin that there were two Gold Elites ahead of me for two remaining business class seats (I'm NZ Gold) and therefore I wouldn't be getting my upgrade - but after I got to the lounge, they called me to the counter and offered me an upgrade to premium economy instead. No fuss. The only issue was that the extra upgrade wasn't re-credited to my account until I called the premium team, but from my experience that happens fairly often with any failed upgrade request anyway. Hope this helps.
Yes that is helpful
At they do try

Does anyone know if they look at
1 time as a GE as only GE for a month (was only jade in March)
2 do they look at the status when it was requested or now (gold when requested)
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:25 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold RIP); Airpoints Gold Elite; Flying Blue Gold; Emirates, Gold; Qantas, Platinum
When trying to use the 2 RUG's I find that NZ have always offered me a PE upgrade first. I usually have to hang around to get the BE upgrade I requested. This is on the HKG/PVG routes - the 772 makes a Y-PE upgrade pointless in my view.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Question upgrades

Originally Posted by highpeak1
When trying to use the 2 RUG's I find that NZ have always offered me a PE upgrade first. I usually have to hang around to get the BE upgrade I requested. This is on the HKG/PVG routes - the 772 makes a Y-PE upgrade pointless in my view.
When do they offer the PE upgrade ?
Do you wait at the check in for a decision on the BP or the lounge or the gate or in the plane ?

Do you peek in the BP section to see if there are spare seats ?
Old Oct 14, 2012, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Not all seats will be released for upgrade, and sometimes there are still empty seats in BP or Y+..

So it might be that there are empty seats in BP, despite your request for a Recognition Upgrade. All airlines have to manage seat inventory, and typically, they'll hold some unsold BP seats on the chance there will be a late sale, than release them for a recognition Upgrade.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 2:08 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold RIP); Airpoints Gold Elite; Flying Blue Gold; Emirates, Gold; Qantas, Platinum
I am informed at check-in (sometimes at the transfer desk in HKG as I transfer from a domestic Chinese flight), or at the UA lounge in HKG. Last trip was PVG and I was offered PE at check-in.

I in all my cases of 2 RU upgrades (3 occasions) I have been informed at the gate as I board - the thrill of the boarding pass being rejected and having a new one proffered.

I have also been declined several times and noticed seats available in BE.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 4:28 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Not all seats will be released for upgrade, and sometimes there are still empty seats in BP or Y+..

So it might be that there are empty seats in BP, despite your request for a Recognition Upgrade. All airlines have to manage seat inventory, and typically, they'll hold some unsold BP seats on the chance there will be a late sale, than release them for a recognition Upgrade.
This is not accurate. Recognition upgrades are standby upgrades so in theory you should get your upgrade when there is even one empty seat in business.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 4:47 am
Original Poster

holding seats back

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi

Hmmh at boarding time or after takeoff ?
They could shift you after takeoff if the seats are empty
Old Oct 14, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, NZ*G
They know when the flight closes (just before boarding) if and where the empty seats are. That is usually the last opportunity to find out if you've gone up; at the gate when you board. There should not be any empty seats in business on departure if there are unfulfilled recognition upgrades to business. So they therefore shouldn't be shifting you after departure, because the ground staff have known since the flight closed if there was an empty seat, and if there was, you'd be in it. Also that would be pushing responsibility for processing standby recognition upgrades to the cabin crew, and that doesn't happen... it's solely a ground function.

They say that successful recognition upgrading is subject to not only space but also catering, but these days they fortunately seem to plan the catering with the assumptions that all the revenue pax will show and that everyone who has a standby recognition upgrade in place will get upgraded (to the max cabin capacity of course).

They look at your status on the day of the flight, not the day you requested it. So if you used Gold recognition upgrades at the time of the request, but are GE on the day of departure, the ground staff will assess them taking into account your GE status. Of course the opposite also applies.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

upgrade

Originally Posted by craver
They know when the flight closes (just before boarding) if and where the empty seats are. That is usually the last opportunity to find out if you've gone up; at the gate when you board. There should not be any empty seats in business on departure if there are unfulfilled recognition upgrades to business. So they therefore shouldn't be shifting you after departure, because the ground staff have known since the flight closed if there was an empty seat, and if there was, you'd be in it. Also that would be pushing responsibility for processing standby recognition upgrades to the cabin crew, and that doesn't happen... it's solely a ground function.

They say that successful recognition upgrading is subject to not only space but also catering, but these days they fortunately seem to plan the catering with the assumptions that all the revenue pax will show and that everyone who has a standby recognition upgrade in place will get upgraded (to the max cabin capacity of course).

They look at your status on the day of the flight, not the day you requested it. So if you used Gold recognition upgrades at the time of the request, but are GE on the day of departure, the ground staff will assess them taking into account your GE status. Of course the opposite also applies.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:20 am

Programs: NZ Silver; BA blue; Velocity red; Qantas Silver
I have requested a recognition upgrade to PE for the return leg of my HKG-AKL flight in January. However, there is a possibility that I might have to delay my return so does anybody know if I will lose that upgrade (assuming I get it approved) or can it be credited back and re-requested on the flight I rebook?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 3:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, NZ*G
Originally Posted by Cappuccino
I have requested a recognition upgrade to PE for the return leg of my HKG-AKL flight in January. However, there is a possibility that I might have to delay my return so does anybody know if I will lose that upgrade (assuming I get it approved) or can it be credited back and re-requested on the flight I rebook?
From the t's and c's:

3.2.3.1.9 Subject to clause 5.3, Recognition Upgrades may only be requested during the 12 month period starting on the date on which your applicable Tier Status became effective. Where travel arrangements are changed and a Recognition Upgrade was used in the original travel arrangements, that Recognition Upgrade(s) will be deemed to have expired if at the date of the change to the Member's travel arrangements, the Member no longer qualifies for the applicable Tier Status.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 4:33 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by Cappuccino
Provided that your recognitin upgrade would not have expired, if you change your date, your recognition upgrade will be credited back and you will need to re-apply it to your new flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.