Wiki Posts
Search

Gold/Gold Elite Hotel upgrade vouchers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold
Gold/Gold Elite Hotel upgrade vouchers

Has anyone here attempted to use theirs? And if so, what were your experiences?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 7:00 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
They would first tell you they have never seen those vouchers and you cannot use them. Once you pointed out the hotel list on the back of the voucher they would then either reluctantly upgrade you to a room with better view or they would tell you the hotel was fully booked and the upgrade was not available. I no longer bother to use them.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Snap!

Tried twice at Novotel Auckland Airport. First time "no rooms", second time worked, but frankly at that property there was only a minimal difference in room (view?). Not worth my effort to cart them around and remember to try and use them.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Oct 3, 2012 at 7:35 pm
Old Oct 3, 2012, 7:35 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Gin!
Same here, room not available, do not know what they are, not available on booked rate or upgrade occurred but I hate to see what the original room was to be
Old Oct 3, 2012, 7:40 pm

I status matched Virgin Velocity Platinum last year with my NZ GE and selected complimentary Hilton Diamond and Hertz #1. These Airpoints vouchers are really a joke. I reckon they are worth $20 each at best.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold
Good to know. I certainly won't be booking with the idea of being able to use one of these vouchers then.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:54 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
The one time I bothered to try one, my experience was identical to Xiaotung's.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 1:05 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints - Gold Elite, Velocity - Platinum, Qantas - Gold
Agree with everyone's thoughts, but keep persisting. I've used one at the Sofitel Gold Coast earlier this year and while they originally said they had never seen it before, they upgraded us to a Suite, which was well worth it. I've also used one @ one of the Accors in Queenstown as well.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 3:17 am

Programs: NZ *E, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Amex Platinum, Accor Advantage Plus
I status matched Virgin Velocity Platinum last year with my NZ GE and selected complimentary Hilton Diamond and Hertz #1.
Complimentary Hertz #1 is an absolute joke, since it doesn't actually cost anything.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by davidrnz
Complimentary Hertz #1 is an absolute joke, since it doesn't actually cost anything.
No I meant Hertz#1 Club Gold - President's Circle.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 4:24 am

Programs: QF Platinum, NZ *G, Le Club Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Gold
Just a follow-up on this thread as it's been a while.

Whilst my views are same as most and certinally the having to explain the use of the voucher to the check-in person is frustrating I have been able to use some lately.

Sofitel ZQN, upgraded to club room from entry level (so more than one cat upgrade)
Novotel AKL Airport, upgraded to a suite from an executive room (so one cat upgrade. Not worth it to use one from Standard to Exec room as they are almost identical but a suite is a decent upgrade)
Sofitel AKL, Once cat upgrade (from standard room)

Both myself and a colleague looking to use up some old vouchers have found that a polite email to the hotel before arrival (with a copy of the voucher) and a note saying that we know they are subject to availability and can a not of our desire to redeem them be added to the file is usually met with a positive response (and even once an arranged in advance upgrade).

SSNZ
Old Dec 15, 2012, 6:37 pm

Programs: NZ G, QF G, Accor Plat
Never bothered with the hotel ones; but used the car rental upgrade last year with no problems at all.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand NZ*S
Have used them at Novotel Auckland Airport but they are only available 3 nights a week.
Was a bit annoyed that the only room available at Novotel Auckland Airport when we were evacuated from Cyclone Evan on Tuesday night was the most expensive!!!
It was in contrast to Sudima ChCh that gave a full refund when our flight was delayed and Tokatoka Resort in Nadi that did not gouge evacuees from the islands, gave free food, great service and really looked after us all.
To top it off Novotel have removed some of our previously credited points when I asked them to check why our last 3 stays were not credited and we still don't have those credits!!!!!
Air NZ advised of the flight delay by voice mail but the service was down so it took till the next afternoon (about 18 hours later) for that information to reach us.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: Air NZ*GE
Just to rehash these would make good toilet paper for your kids hamster.

Emailed Novotel Auckland in advance to ask if they accepted, received an enthusiastic yes just bring in and all good to go subject to availability. .

Rocked up at 11pm for the one time in any 5 yr period where I might use one and asked, showed the email as above and the manager said they don't do them anymore. To bleary to fight.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Never used it, tried three times years ago, denied.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.