Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment (MBIE)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E

so.. this arrived out of the blue (from work).. anyone know about this....
although it might not affect too many people, it is still interesting that they are trading a few discount with the omission of APD

Changes to the airline contacts

XXXX is participating in a new airline contract arrangement negotiated by the Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment (MBIE). The MBIE contracts provide CCCC with substantial airfare discounts on international and trans-Tasman routes and will introduce discounts not currently available to us on domestic routes. In addition, the discounted rates will apply to a broad range of available airfares.

[para deleted]

To be able to deliver the improved discounts, airlines have needed to reduce some of the extra costs associated with airfares. Under these new arrangements, loyalty air miles programmes for all airlines, including Air New Zealand, will continue to be available to staff on international routes but will not be available on domestic or trans-Tasman routes from 01 October. Air New Zealand status points will continue where applicable. This will not represent a change to most staff who book lowest available fares for which no loyalty air miles currently apply.

The discounted fares mean that airlines no longer pay commissions to travel management companies such as XXXX. This change will impact on the booking fees payable to travel managers. The details of the impact on booking fees is currently being worked through with XXXX to ensure the best possible solution is available to the travel community and further details on the impact on booking fees will be made available once agreed. In the meantime current fees will continue to apply.

Note: this might only be an internal matter for the workplace I am at and apologies if it is not relevant to you
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Sounds like a normal corporate deal. There are always trade-offs to be made. I would guess this pretty common, just not usually publicly visible.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:58 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
It is part of the "All-of-Government" Travel contract that was completed in December 2011.
It is not secret and the buyers guide is publicly available here.
FWIW I have been told my area was adversely impacted by this because we had a better discount than the 10% and received the points, which under our guidelines were to be used for future work travel.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 7:06 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Got a similar email from my work pointing out the fares wont be eligable for APD unless flying INTL (non- TT), but from what I gathered would still earn SP.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
It is part of the "All-of-Government" Travel contract that was completed in December 2011.
It is not secret and the buyers guide is publicly available here.
FWIW I have been told my area was adversely impacted by this because we had a better discount than the 10% and received the points, which under our guidelines were to be used for future work travel.
thanks BlackCloud for the link

and brenrox, yes, page 9 of that document gives a chart stating that SPs are still counted.... I am most thankful not that I do a lot of travel but I needed this to get my banked-year next month
Old Oct 4, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Well, it is a choice employers make and they are entitled to it. Airlines also want a regular business/contract - so no sweat. But, traveling requires a lot of personal time and sacrifices, so keeping APD and SP to use them the way the individual chooses is not illegitimate. It is maybe one of the "perks", but any employer who tries to change their rules and remove those from an individual could expect a negative impact. Yes, times are tough, etc, nothing is to be taken for granted, golden era, bla bla - but if that was to happen to me I would take the first opportunity to look for a new job.

I travel LH every 3 months, always on weekends and get back on weekends, put a lot into it and if that is not valued then it is time to look somewhere else. Of course, I am not a "god-sent" employee and everyone is replaceable, but there are things that are going too far, which is just my personal opinion.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Originally Posted by stephen2d
- but if that was to happen to me I would take the first opportunity to look for a new job.
Wow seems like you're pretty unhappy in your job if that's enough to make you switch. The grass is definitely not greener, so be very careful.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 7:13 pm

Look, again, I don't want to sound arrogant or anything of such, but IF that change was to happen without consulting the staff or at least those affected, it is a sign that their extra efforts are not really valued. It doesn't mean "act like a spoiled child who has lost a toy". A lot of people are payed a salary, whether you work 40, 50, 60 or 80 hours. When you travel you sacrifice a lot of personal time with your family, etc. And it is a small gesture like that that start to affect a relationship you may have with an employer. It doesn't mean grass is greener elsewhere, it may be browny, but it is better when iot is trans[parent and when you knowingly go into it, rather than just supressing it. Hope it makes sense.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 7:27 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by Wan1dap
Wow seems like you're pretty unhappy in your job if that's enough to make you switch. The grass is definitely not greener, so be very careful.
It would certainly make me curtail my travel if my employer went the same route.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 8:23 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
But this is the public service where members of the public believe it is their right to complain about how public servants are flying around to get points to take their families away on holidays in business class using the points that tax payers paid for. I have heard this attitude, it was even posted on FlyerTalk. The fact is many fares on NZ that I have flown in the last 18 months did not earn APD, just status points so it was not a big loss for me.

Flying is now a much smaller part of my job and it can be tedious leaving early in the morning to get the cheap flight, waiting at airports lucky if I can get lounge access, then flying home after my regular home time, but it is part of the job and I accept it as it is often better than sitting in this office 5 days a week.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
But this is the public service where members of the public believe it is their right to complain about how public servants are flying around to get points to take their families away on holidays in business class using the points that tax payers paid for. I have heard this attitude, it was even posted on FlyerTalk. The fact is many fares on NZ that I have flown in the last 18 months did not earn APD, just status points so it was not a big loss for me.

Flying is now a much smaller part of my job and it can be tedious leaving early in the morning to get the cheap flight, waiting at airports lucky if I can get lounge access, then flying home after my regular home time, but it is part of the job and I accept it as it is often better than sitting in this office 5 days a week.
I was a public servant for a while, and I'd agree with you that the attitude to business travel by public employees is ridiculous. However I think in NZ there's way too much expectation by employees to be consulted about every decision an employer wants to make. Things which are not in the employees' contracts are entirely the domain of the employer. Advise, give heads-up, prepare, yes. Consult, no.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 8:54 pm

Sure, good luck with that attitude. Mutual trust and appreciation are quite overvalued at some levels of our society - and yes, I was an employer for many years, with 11 staff and have managed many more (in and out of NZ), and I wouldn't dream making such a decision with no valid reason AND buy-in from said staff.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 9:03 pm

Sure, good luck with that attitude. Mutual trust and appreciation are quite overvalued at some levels of our society - and yes, I was an employer for many years, with 11 staff and have managed many more (in and out of NZ), and I wouldn't dream making such a decision with no valid reason AND buy-in from said staff.
Which should mean that you had a closer and better relationship with your employees than what many in the public service now have and it is what good employers or managers should have.^
I have been in a number of private organizations of various sizes and 1 public service area. I can say that the current environment in the ps is the worse I have ever seen and can be quite toxic at times. Of course I am thankful that I still have a job and I have not received a paycut either.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 11:19 pm
Suspended

It's a very big presumption that there is "no valid reason". Employers do not normally make change for change's sake. Unless you know better, I would assume there were solid (probably economic) grounds for the change. Mutual trust and appreciation do not depend on continuous consultation. Good communication can achieve the same end without the need for consensus to be achieved.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 8:37 pm

Cost cutting is a legitimate exercise in tough times and you are right that things can be achieved with better communication, which doesn't seem to be the case here. Also, I am pretty sure more meaningful savings can be made other ways, even when it comes to travel - book long time in advance, full business day away, no flights for meetings, use a/v conferences, etc. I am sure this is not new to anyone. But when you ask people to get up at 5am and come back at 8pm, then this strikes as a petty way to save a few bucks. You can always save everywhere, heck you can even choose not to pay staff at all (ok, that is probably illegal), but it says more about the employer and culture they are fostering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.