Successful/unsuccessful oneup bids

Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Trumpkin
Welcome to Flyertalk.

If you're looking at seat maps, it is likely that there will be some people who haven't yet a selected a seat. Similarly if trying the trick of seeing how many seats you can buy via a dummy booking. So the percentages may be higher.

One ups are processed after the upgrades you get via status, so with the current loadings it is likely to be fairly full, so a higher bid is likely to be needed to have any chance of success.
Another thing to look at it is how full BP is as some of the PE pax will likely upgrade to BP using RUs and OneUps.
If BP is looking full then PE should open up a little from upgrades.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by chocfish
Keen for some guidance on what would be sensible bids. Am keen not to miss out, but also don't want to overbid.
There isn't really an answer to this. You need to bid what you feel the upgrade it worth to you.

You need to accept that the odds are stacked against your OneUp being accepted with no guarantee at all that any could clear on your flight.

Premium Cabins to LAX and SFO are full most of the time.

All anybody can really do is wish you good luck.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by toop28
NZ2
LAX-LHR
9/14
Requested upgrade from PE to Biz.
800 Airpoints
Silver status
Denied but will try again 9 hrs before flight. Won't happen tho - flight is full.
"Try again"? I was under the impression that this is impossible - your bid is final and you don't get another shot at a bid?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: A3 Gold
I wanted to ask, to do a OneUp, does my flight need to be ticketed on NZ stock or could I be ticketed on SQ stock?

I am interested taking AKL-SIN-MNL with the AKL-SIN portion on NZ. If ticketed on NZ, I get into MNL earlier with a short 3hr layover in SIN, while getting ticketed on SQ, I get a 12hr layover.

Thank you!
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by AznMadSci
I wanted to ask, to do a OneUp, does my flight need to be ticketed on NZ stock or could I be ticketed on SQ stock?

I am interested taking AKL-SIN-MNL with the AKL-SIN portion on NZ. If ticketed on NZ, I get into MNL earlier with a short 3hr layover in SIN, while getting ticketed on SQ, I get a 12hr layover.

Thank you!
In order to perform a OneUp upgrade, you need to have it on 086 (NZ) issued ticket and obviously flight (metal) operated by NZ.

If it is part of an SQ issued ticket, even if it's on NZ metal, you won't be able to perform a OneUp on it (AFAIK, somebody can correct me if I'm wrong).
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: LH/G,KL/G,ABBA!
NZ2 LAX-LHR 400 P/E to J, accepted on same day of departure (T-9hrs).
A good result, excellent service from this LHR-based crew
Old Oct 13, 2017, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Danielle216
Y->PE Akl to Lax
Bid a weak bid of $380.
Leave tonight and no word if accepted or declined yet....
Did it end up getting accepted?
I'm flying first time from AKL>LAX and looking for recent successfull bids as a gauge.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints silver, Koru member
I presume a OneUp bid can be made with whatever Airpoints dollars you have available and the balance paid by credit card?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 3:01 pm

I presume a OneUp bid can be made with whatever Airpoints dollars you have available and the balance paid by credit card?
Nope.

You either need to pay the full amount by credit card or Airpoints. If you don't have sufficient Airpoints you'll need to top up your Airpoints balance to ensure you have the Airpoints available.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by Bungeedude
Did it end up getting accepted?
I'm flying first time from AKL>LAX and looking for recent successfull bids as a gauge.
Recent bids won't help you at all. What's important is whether it's school holidays, whether it's the beginning or end of a week, whether it's a day with multiple flights to LAX, whether it's the aircraft that continues onto LHR, whether ... you get the idea. If you want any feedback (and bear in mind that feedback would be a guess at best - the program is incredibly opaque), you need to specify the details of your flight and what you are prepared to offer.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Nope.

You either need to pay the full amount by credit card or Airpoints. If you don't have sufficient Airpoints you'll need to top up your Airpoints balance to ensure you have the Airpoints available.
Ah, thanks. So the top-up needs to be made while the bid is pending?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 5:12 pm

Ah, thanks. So the top-up needs to be made while the bid is pending?
You need to have sufficient funds in your account to make the bid and then enough in your account at the time it's processed for it to be accepted.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 5:31 pm

You need to have sufficient funds in your account to make the bid and then enough in your account at the time it's processed for it to be accepted.
The bid has been made and says 'upgrade pending', though I definitely don't have enough airpoints dollars in the account. Wondering if I should cancel it and re-bid with the credit card option. Tried to modify the bid to select alternative payment but can only seem to alter the bid amount, not the method of payment.

Last edited by chocfish; Oct 15, 2017 at 5:38 pm
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:04 pm

Thank you for this.

I have/had two OneUps in for YVR-AKl and AKL-YVR, using Airpoints for the outbound and assuming shortfall would go to my Visa.

I called the contact centre to inquire about exchange.
Given my residence is Canada, flights were booked ex Canada, all currency is C$. This includeds my Airpoints. Current balance shows as 1,085 Airpoints, but that is in NZ$. The C$ equivalent is $980.

So, non NZ res Airpoints members be aware of the exchange, I was under the impression Airpoints were universal.

The lady confirmed that should you not have enough Airpoints, then the bid gets rejected and you are asked to re-apply with a different payment method, but lose place in queue if all other factors were equal (status, bid amount etc)
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by C206
Thank you for this.

I have/had two OneUps in for YVR-AKl and AKL-YVR, using Airpoints for the outbound and assuming shortfall would go to my Visa.

I called the contact centre to inquire about exchange.
Given my residence is Canada, flights were booked ex Canada, all currency is C$. This includeds my Airpoints. Current balance shows as 1,085 Airpoints, but that is in NZ$. The C$ equivalent is $980.

So, non NZ res Airpoints members be aware of the exchange, I was under the impression Airpoints were universal.

The lady confirmed that should you not have enough Airpoints, then the bid gets rejected and you are asked to re-apply with a different payment method, but lose place in queue if all other factors were equal (status, bid amount etc)
I think you've got something confused here, APD are always NZD equivalent, unless you live in Australia, which is the only exception.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.