FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Ordering Food/Drink On Screen (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1361500-ordering-food-drink-screen.html)

ASUDan130 Jun 28, 2012 6:49 pm

Ordering Food/Drink On Screen

How does this service work? Is it only for business class passengers or is it for economy too? Also is this only available on the brand new 777-300ER aircraft because I am flying on the 777-200.

WLG Base Jun 28, 2012 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by FlyGuy24 (Post 18839564)
How does this service work? Is it only for business class passengers or is it for economy too? Also is this only available on the brand new 777-300ER aircraft because I am flying on the 777-200.

On the 777-300ER all classes can order a range of snacks by using the IFE system.

cavemanzk Jun 28, 2012 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by WLG Base (Post 18839734)
On the 777-300ER all classes can order a range of snacks by using the IFE system.

Also on the A320s / 763s on Seat to Suit Services (Items are for Purchase)

ASUDan130 Jun 29, 2012 6:04 pm

What about for the 777-200's in BP?

cavemanzk Jun 29, 2012 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by FlyGuy24 (Post 18845276)
What about for the 777-200's in BP?

The 772 have an order Rockwell Collins system in all classes, therefore any drinks/snack orders in BP need to be made though the crew.

jcooper90 Jul 6, 2012 3:06 pm

It may be just me, and the flights I chose, but I flew paid Biz from LAX - AKL - LAX last month, and at no point could I order snacks at my seat....I thought at the time it was due to the overnight flights, but still slightly disappointed....

I fly again Paid Biz in a few weeks - we'll see if this has changed.

aaronhowe78 Jul 6, 2012 3:29 pm

Daytime LHR to LAX, night LAX to LHR in 77W last year - no ordering from IFE unless I wanted a pillow or an iPod cable. Was there but not enabled in BP.

nz_crew Jul 7, 2012 3:48 am

The ordering should be available approx half an hour after the dinner service finishes until about an hour before breakfast starts, on the 773. If it's any consolation to those two posters above, the system automatically emails an audit to the service quality people as soon as the wheels hit the ground, so the flight manager would have had some explaining to do..

jcooper90 Jul 12, 2012 12:16 pm

@nz_crew - I fly LAX-AKL in paid Biz one week from today - can you put the word in to that crew to turn it on! :-)

Shazzadude Jul 12, 2012 3:07 pm

In the 777-200 or 777-300? If it's the former, it won't be available.

jcooper90 Jul 12, 2012 3:09 pm

777-300.......It's the LHR-LAX-AKL flight.

craver Jul 13, 2012 12:00 am

I am yet to see them enable this on any of my 77W flights.

serfty Jul 14, 2012 6:33 am

My take is the FA's do not like it - any reason not to turn it on is utilised for the maximum times for unavailability.

I guess it must interfere with their body clock or something.

nz_crew Jul 15, 2012 12:53 am

I don't know why you'd think that - if you were us would you prefer to make two trips to answer a call bell, explain what drinks/snacks we have available, then prepare and deliver it on a second trip rather than have it pop through on a screen where we have everything to hand and can get it all done in one trip?

It has certainly been enabled on every single longhaul sector I've done on the aircraft. As I say, the system automatically reports back all the stats to inflight services within seconds of landing.

If it's not turned on on your flight, feel free to ask for the FSM and ask them why ;) (not that I'm suggesting for a minute you should have to)

serfty Jul 15, 2012 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by nz_crew (Post 18931881)
I don't know why you'd think that ...

Simple - with S2S I have often often been in rows one or two T-T and overheard many a FA discussion about the service.

I got the impression that in general, the preference was to provide service at times convenient to the FA's rather than the PAX - that's takes some of that flexibility away (In many ways I understand with all the duties that need to be undertaken.)

To paraphrase one such discussion that stands out: Boss FA "I've turned off the ordering". Other FA "Thank god for that".

Maybe the FA's have become more attuned after initial resistance, and it is enabled at some stage, but in my 77W flights in BP transpacific I have NEVER found the on-screen ordering available to use.