FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Boeing 767 to PVG?? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1354126-boeing-767-pvg.html)

worstdaysinceyesterday Jun 7, 2012 2:40 am

Boeing 767 to PVG??

Hello,

i travell on the 08 of december and 06 of January from PVG-AKL return in Business. Normally it is always a 772 but the changed to 767?
is that sure? 12 hours in that is not very nice and makes no sense really on that route.
does anyone has more information?

Shazzadude Jun 7, 2012 4:07 am

Yeah, some flights to PVG and NRT have been downgraded.

worstdaysinceyesterday Jun 7, 2012 4:15 am

Argh, why? where is the 772 gone on that days? 12 hours is a long flight, there more better options to change

Shazzadude Jun 7, 2012 4:21 am

You should get in touch with the call centre, there might be some compensation on offer or you may be able to change if there are other 772 flights.

worstdaysinceyesterday Jun 7, 2012 4:46 am

thanks for the fast answer. i donīt think so, cause it is reward ticket. :(
but i can try...

mmonster Jun 8, 2012 1:15 am

can see that as a win for AirNZ's perspective after giving up PEK for 2 more flights to PVG, I personally doubt would there be much demand for that route if using 772 for all flights. With no direct competition, they are still leading the market with a direct service so that is why 763 are going to NRT/PVG

To pax (me included) it is a big blow with the downgrade, not that I travel on the route a lot, the J experience on a 763 is extremely different from a 772.

Seems that AirNZ does not have enough 772 to go around after Perth upgrade and more flights to NA after QF's Exit..... and 787 is not coming until 2014...

I wonder if they will use 787 on that route when that arrives and what seating config the Airline would use, I doubt they would fit the normal J seats on a 772/773??? anyone know?

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Jun 9, 2012 2:52 am

i wonder why they didn't do AKL-PVG with a PEK add-on a couple times a week? Or is it not allowed for foreign airlines to do that? (I guess there really aren't transit facilities in places like PVG... although maybe pax could have stayed on board...)

ANZ787900 Jun 9, 2012 3:59 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF (Post 18725579)
i wonder why they didn't do AKL-PVG with a PEK add-on a couple times a week? Or is it not allowed for foreign airlines to do that? (I guess there really aren't transit facilities in places like PVG... although maybe pax could have stayed on board...)

If they had the rights, they'd only be able to take passengers who are either going straight through to PEK or have booked NZ to PVG, stopped over there and then carried onto PEK at a later date. Same conditions as QF107 LAX-JFK - they can only take QF passengers connecting to a QF flight, no domestic only passengers allowed. And in this case, I wouldn't expect loads to be all that high. You're easier (and probably better off) organising connections with CA.

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Jun 9, 2012 4:01 am

Originally Posted by ANZ787900 (Post 18725688)
If they had the rights, they'd only be able to take passengers who are either going straight through to PEK or have booked NZ to PVG, stopped over there and then carried onto PEK at a later date. Same conditions as QF107 LAX-JFK - they can only take QF passengers connecting to a QF flight, no domestic only passengers allowed. And in this case, I wouldn't expect loads to be all that high. You're easier (and probably better off) organising connections with CA.

errr... yeah ... I know... I was thinking they could uplift in PEK and in PVG. Not carry pax between the two :) that way you capture the cargo and pax from both cities without dedicated aircraft, and could maybe fill a 772.

ANZ787900 Jun 9, 2012 4:04 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF (Post 18725690)
errr... yeah ... I know... I was thinking they could uplift in PEK and in PVG. Not carry pax between the two :) that way you capture the cargo and pax from both cities without dedicated aircraft, and could maybe fill a 772.

No idea if their current allotment would allow for that regardless; without dropping the flight from daily to 5x weekly for 2x weekly to PEK for example.

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Jun 9, 2012 4:06 am

Originally Posted by ANZ787900 (Post 18725698)
No idea if their current allotment would allow for that regardless; without dropping the flight from daily to 5x weekly for 2x weekly to PEK for example.

yes. But I would have thought that they're going to lose a lot of business class by downgrading to a 767. Better to reduce flights, have an add-on to PEK and keep the 777. Why would anyone fly that long in a 76??

Xiaotung Jun 9, 2012 4:13 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF (Post 18725579)

It is definitely allowed. TK used to do IST-PEK-PVG and LH is about to launch FRA-SHE-TAO abiet no 8th freedom rights.

I don't think NZ can secure slots in PEK that would time nicely with their PVG schedules. Plus I think NZ is happier to ferry pax through HKG which has better transit facillities on to CA services to PEK.

Shazzadude Jun 9, 2012 5:04 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF (Post 18725701)
yes. But I would have thought that they're going to lose a lot of business class by downgrading to a 767. Better to reduce flights, have an add-on to PEK and keep the 777. Why would anyone fly that long in a 76??

I believe business class wasn't selling that well in the China routes anyhow. I recall someone here saying around 70% of the business class seats were reward seats.

ANZ787900 Jun 9, 2012 4:29 pm

Having a think about it, PVG was never so frequent so those travelling on the service were impacted by this from the outset. Therefore I'm sure that the smart ones would be able to keep on finding the 772 to fly on if they happen to be flying Business. If they weren't happy with the non-daily frequency to begin with, they would have just flown CX. But yes, the reply above this mentioning the poor revenue Business loads shows that it won't seem to impact them too badly. Either way, I think that Economy in the 763 is better than in the 772.

Jetstreamer Jun 10, 2012 3:22 am

Why would anyone fly that long in a 76??

Because they buy tickets thinking they are flying a 777 and NZ downgrade them. Isn't that how NZ usually sell business seats on routes like this and NRT? I'm not a frequent NZ flyer but this is my perception.