FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Any way to search for specific fare classes? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1351560-any-way-search-specific-fare-classes.html)

Jorgen May 30, 2012 5:52 pm

Any way to search for specific fare classes?

Hi folks. I'm planning a trip SFO-SYD and would prefer to take NZ rather than UA if I can. However, if I want to earn United miles I'd need to be in fare class "T" or higher. Is there any way to persuade the Air New Zealand website to let me search specific fare classes?

Blackcloud May 30, 2012 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jorgen (Post 18669672)
Hi folks. I'm planning a trip SFO-SYD and would prefer to take NZ rather than UA if I can. However, if I want to earn United miles I'd need to be in fare class "T" or higher. Is there any way to persuade the Air New Zealand website to let me search specific fare classes?

No.
You need to use another distribution channel rather than the Air New Zealand website.

Jorgen May 30, 2012 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Blackcloud (Post 18669994)
No.
You need to use another distribution channel rather than the Air New Zealand website.

Such as?

jjclancy May 30, 2012 9:23 pm

You'll need to engage a real in-the-flesh travel agent.

Jorgen May 31, 2012 8:26 am

Originally Posted by jjclancy (Post 18670613)
You'll need to engage a real in-the-flesh travel agent.

Oh, man, those still exist? Do I have to ride there on a penny-farthing?

123dd Jun 5, 2012 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Jorgen (Post 18672747)
Oh, man, those still exist? Do I have to ride there on a penny-farthing?

Travel agents are still the most efficient way to book complicated itineraries especially with multiple carriers and multiple stopovers. A good travel agent should be able to tailor a journey to make the best use fare rules.

Jorgen Jun 7, 2012 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by 123dd (Post 18699808)
Travel agents are still the most efficient way to book complicated itineraries especially with multiple carriers and multiple stopovers. A good travel agent should be able to tailor a journey to make the best use fare rules.

Given that all I want is a freaking price check on a T-fare from SFO to SYD via AKL so that I can see whether it's even in a sensible ballpark, engaging a travel agent seems like serious overkill. Especially as I'm likely as not to say "Oh, that much? Guess I'll fly goddamn United then."

Dear Air New Zealand, I want to spend money on your airline and am actually willing to spend, through sheer bloody-mindedness, more than the cheapest available fare for the seat! Why are you making it so difficult?

ajnz Jun 7, 2012 3:00 pm

I'm sure the friendly folks on 1-800-262-1234 will be able to give you the answer.

ExpertFlyer helpfully shows several T fares:
TL3 1098.00(USD)
TK3 1218.00(USD)
TL3OW 1428.00(USD)
TK3OW 1584.00(USD)

jawnbc Jun 9, 2012 9:54 am

agreed; irksome

I agree--I don't understand why Air NZ won't let me pick a somewhat higher economy fare to get my status miles on AC. My recent options were:

1.) call a travel agent
2.) call NZ reservations

NZ res agents are very good. Travel agents? Very few left with strong technical skills of the sort required to drill into fare rules in systems like SABRE.

I'm travelling for a client to Auckland and went back and forth with their agent for a week (via email; they're in NZ) because she claimed she "had no access" to fare rules in SABRE. Utter crap.

Years ago I was a travel agent and my ability to leverage SABRE was one of the main reasons I did well. Back in the day that was exceptional; today it seems but a memory (all alone in the moooonliiiiiiight)....

Jorgen Jun 14, 2012 8:40 pm

Never mind, I picked up an A fare in the 72-hour premium economy sale anyway. :cool: