Wiki Posts
Search

777-300 Skycouch - Experience?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2012, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
777-300 Skycouch - Experience?

1. Does anyone have personal experience of 2 adults flying on the Skycouch?
  2. What positions did the two of you use, to rest? (No mile-high cracks, please!)
  3. Would you use Skycouch again?
  4. Can anyone provide a copy of the card ANZ uses, to show position configurations?

Thank you.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 3:09 pm

Programs: QFF Plat, OZ*G, HH Gold
A little bit of research before starting a new thread will definitely help!!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1328271-how-much-extra-skycouch-really-worth.html
Old Apr 7, 2012, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 123dd
A little bit of research before starting a new thread will definitely help!!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-n...lly-worth.html
Thanks for that - not!

I did do my research - I did a search on the NZ forum, and looked at every thread that mentioned "Skycouch", including the one you referred to. I also did a search on Google, for reviews of the Skycouch. I spent all yesterday afternoon and evening doing my research, and I hoped that, now, some frequent fliers could add some personal (recent) experience.

While there were several reports of one person using a Sky couch, one of a honeymoon couple, and several of one adult and one child, there is nothing that answered my questions - and relatively little since the Skycouch flights went into normal service. There's a lot of speculation and misinformation, too.

We are senior citizens, of normal proportions - not midgets and not skinny (not grossly overweight either). And we're not contortionists!

I am trying to decide the best way to fly AKL-LHR return, using our Airpoints, without feeling as though we are crammed into a sardine can. And we will be flying in Y, as our funds are now limited because we are retired, and we will be making a similar journey once or twice every year. So far, all reports have said that the Y section of the 777-300 is very crammed, with narrow seats and narrow aisles. To me, the Skycouch seems the only option on that plane, but I don't want to commit to it (and the extra cost) if it is going to turn out to be uncomfortable, too.

So far, I am leaning towards going via Asia, - the 777-200 has only 9 seats per row in Y, as opposed to the 777-300's 10 per row, and going via LAX is also a turn-off.

(If Air NZ persists with its intention of putting the 777-300 on all its long haul routes, I can see us flying with other airlines in future.)
Old Apr 7, 2012, 5:54 pm
formerly kiwi_norway

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC
Originally Posted by celle
Thanks for that - not!

I did do my research - I did a search on the NZ forum, and looked at every thread that mentioned "Skycouch", including the one you referred to. I also did a search on Google, for reviews of the Skycouch. I spent all yesterday afternoon and evening doing my research, and I hoped that, now, some frequent fliers could add some personal (recent) experience.

While there were several reports of one person using a Sky couch, one of a honeymoon couple, and several of one adult and one child, there is nothing that answered my questions - and relatively little since the Skycouch flights went into normal service. There's a lot of speculation and misinformation, too.

We are senior citizens, of normal proportions - not midgets and not skinny (not grossly overweight either). And we're not contortionists!

I am trying to decide the best way to fly AKL-LHR return, using our Airpoints, without feeling as though we are crammed into a sardine can. And we will be flying in Y, as our funds are now limited because we are retired, and we will be making a similar journey once or twice every year. So far, all reports have said that the Y section of the 777-300 is very crammed, with narrow seats and narrow aisles. To me, the Skycouch seems the only option on that plane, but I don't want to commit to it (and the extra cost) if it is going to turn out to be uncomfortable, too.

So far, I am leaning towards going via Asia, - the 777-200 has only 9 seats per row in Y, as opposed to the 777-300's 10 per row, and going via LAX is also a turn-off.

(If Air NZ persists with its intention of putting the 777-300 on all its long haul routes, I can see us flying with other airlines in future.)
Hi Celle,

I haven't personally used the Skycouch, so I'm not going to be much use with your specific questions, but for me personally, I'd give the Skycouch a go.

One way to look at it, rather than looking simply at the "lie-flat" features, is that it guarantees you'll have an empty middle seat. Even without the fold-up footrests and ability to lie down, the experience of flying in economy with a spare seat next to you (and moveable armrests) is ALWAYS going to be superior to having a single seat in a full row. It gives so much more space to spread out and relax, and makes the whole journey a hell of a lot more comfortable.

Also, you won't have to deal with a stranger either wanting to get past you from the window seat to use the bathroom or you having to squeeze past them.

Maybe you could try booking the Skycouch just on the overnight legs? (Although I'm not even sure if that's possible).

Hope this is helpful, although probably nothing you hadn't already thought of. If I was flying long-haul economy with a partner, I'd definitely be giving the SkyCouch a go.

:-)
Old Apr 7, 2012, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kiwi_norway
Hi Celle,

I haven't personally used the Skycouch, so I'm not going to be much use with your specific questions, but for me personally, I'd give the Skycouch a go.

One way to look at it, rather than looking simply at the "lie-flat" features, is that it guarantees you'll have an empty middle seat. Even without the fold-up footrests and ability to lie down, the experience of flying in economy with a spare seat next to you (and moveable armrests) is ALWAYS going to be superior to having a single seat in a full row. It gives so much more space to spread out and relax, and makes the whole journey a hell of a lot more comfortable.

Also, you won't have to deal with a stranger either wanting to get past you from the window seat to use the bathroom or you having to squeeze past them.

Maybe you could try booking the Skycouch just on the overnight legs? (Although I'm not even sure if that's possible).

Hope this is helpful, although probably nothing you hadn't already thought of. If I was flying long-haul economy with a partner, I'd definitely be giving the SkyCouch a go.

:-)
Thank you, kiwi_norway. That's a much more helpful answer, and it echos a lot of my thinking.

We're not departing until August, so I'll keep researching and hoping for someone to report personal experience.

We have to look at the cost as well, for the reasons I mentioned in my last post. While I am inclined to go for the Skycouch, my husband is counting the pennies and he is more inclined towards one of the routes through Asia.

We have to make a decision by the end of this month, as some Airpoints expire on May 1st. I expect some vigorous discussion before that date!
Old Apr 7, 2012, 7:31 pm
formerly kiwi_norway

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC
Thank you, kiwi_norway. That's a much more helpful answer, and it echos a lot of my thinking.

We're not departing until August, so I'll keep researching and hoping for someone to report personal experience.

We have to look at the cost as well, for the reasons I mentioned in my last post. While I am inclined to go for the Skycouch, my husband is counting the pennies and he is more inclined towards one of the routes through Asia.

We have to make a decision by the end of this month, as some Airpoints expire on May 1st. I expect some vigorous discussion before that date!
Another point, though... While the new aircraft has a smaller seat width than the 772, I think the product as a whole is still superior (although others may ... sorry, will disagree). The inflight entertainment on the new planes is fantastic, the interior is wonderful, and there's something about being on the 777-300ER that just feels a little special. Can't really explain it, but I wouldn't necessarily fly via Asia for the seat width alone ... more to consider than that.

Maybe LA in one direction, and Hong-Kong in the other? Also might save a little via LA if you hit the right days (I've found Hong-Kong to be far more expensive that LA on a number of occasions).
Old Apr 9, 2012, 1:52 am

OK celle - I need to start by making certain that you understand that I work as crew for ANZ, based in LHR. You also need to know that these opinions are not those of ANZ or endorsed by them - just my own.

The 777-300 seat width "issue" is only an issue to some people. We simply don't get a volume of complaints, either on board, or elsewhere about the width of the seats. For most people, it appears to be an acceptable comfort level for economy travel - although nobody would describe it as ideal. I cannot truthfully say that there is any economy seat, on any aircraft or carrier in the world, in which I would enjoy ultra-long haul flying: That said, I believe that the ANZ economy seat is somewhere in the global upper quartile.

It is safe to say that there is a small discrepancy between the numbers of those posting here about the evils of the product, and the numbers that have actually used it in anger. Statements such as "I will never fly ANZ on the -300 because of 10 abreast, but will take my business elsewhere" should be taken with a pinch of salt - Better to concentrate on reports from those that have actually done so and posted a trip report. The majority of users on this board fly a considerable amount, but there is a small group that don't, but would like to be perceived as doing so.

Like kiwi_norway I believe that the overall product is superior on the -300, and I would further agree that the way to do it is with a round-the-world fare so that you can decide for yourself. There is advice on this board about the preferred way round. I would, however, go further, and say that if your finances permit - get off in LAX or HKG, even if only for 24hrs: Two great cities to explore and as many showers and comfy bed naps as you can sneak in.

Again, kiwi_norway has it about right on the SkyCouch. It isn't perfect, but represents a step change in economy product. The image below is of real people in a SkyCouch, and it simply has to be better than a single seat IMO.

Whatever you decide to do, I would urge you to publish your experience on this board: Others will have the same questions in the future.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Try looking at these from Airliners.net and others - I suspect you'll have seen some of these...

http://origin-www.airliners.net/avia...main/189179/1/
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-N.../ER/1857187/L/
http://www.businesstraveller.com/dis...eds-in-economy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/anz7879...7625172313998/
http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/wi...ct-part-1.html

youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6QIgUDUZaQ

Cheers, TK
(google for 8 mins 43 seconds)
Old Apr 9, 2012, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I flew on NZ1 yesterday for the first time, LHR-LAX.
I have to say that I was actually surprised it was 10 abreast when I boarded. This was the first time I've flown NZ and the experience was universally positive (perhaps because I'm a regular UA flyer and it's a pretty low bar to surpass).

In fact, I was in an exit row so the seats may be even more narrow due to the tray table issue? Nonetheless, it didn't seem problematic. The seats were quite comfortable and I'm not a small person by any means (6'2"/210lbs). No width issues on the seat.

I didn't have Skycouch access but I did observe a few things when walking through the cabin - they definitely aren't long enough. There were various limbs hanging into the aisles at each row. Overall, I would still think it surpasses sitting in a regular seat for the entire flight but it's not nirvana.

I guess you have to read the reviews and determine if it's worth the cost of upgrading. I was pretty happy with my exit row seat and, given the choice, I'm not sure I would have upgraded just to a skycouch (depending on the cost to do so).
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear
I flew on NZ1 yesterday for the first time, LHR-LAX.
I have to say that I was actually surprised it was 10 abreast when I boarded. This was the first time I've flown NZ and the experience was universally positive (perhaps because I'm a regular UA flyer and it's a pretty low bar to surpass).

In fact, I was in an exit row so the seats may be even more narrow due to the tray table issue? Nonetheless, it didn't seem problematic. The seats were quite comfortable and I'm not a small person by any means (6'2"/210lbs). No width issues on the seat.

I didn't have Skycouch access but I did observe a few things when walking through the cabin - they definitely aren't long enough. There were various limbs hanging into the aisles at each row. Overall, I would still think it surpasses sitting in a regular seat for the entire flight but it's not nirvana.

I guess you have to read the reviews and determine if it's worth the cost of upgrading. I was pretty happy with my exit row seat and, given the choice, I'm not sure I would have upgraded just to a skycouch (depending on the cost to do so).
How did you get the Exit seat?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input.

The decision is still not made, but I now have some solid information on which to base that decision.

Celle
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
How did you get the Exit seat?
Not sure - I was able to select it as soon as I made the reservation. My assumption is that they recognized Star Alliance Gold status?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Not sure - I was able to select it as soon as I made the reservation. My assumption is that they recognized Star Alliance Gold status?
Probably....
Old Apr 11, 2012, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Well, I lost that debate - we're going through Hong Kong. My turn to win next time!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 4:28 am

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Well, I lost that debate - we're going through Hong Kong. My turn to win next time!
Maybe you'll win when it comes to shopping in Hong Kong?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.