Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airpoints Upgrades Gone!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver, NZ Jade, QF Bronze, A Club Platinum, Hhonors Silver
Originally Posted by trooper
And if I've got this right it sucks big time for us Aussies... we can't even GET this "one up" account (residents of NZ over 16 only?).. so the only $$ we'll have to bid with are A$ earned on flights...

..and we'll be bidding against folks who can top up?
You have the option of paying on a credit card OR with Airpoints
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: NZ E, EY G, QF G
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
So for those of us that have already requested Comp/Recognition Upgrades and APD upgrades for flights after 30 May 2011....will these be taken into account before One-Ups?

"Note that we will review all requests for Airpoints Standby and/or Confirmed Upgrades that we receive before 30 May 2012 according to the Airpoints terms and conditions that are in effect on the day we receive the request, even if the request relates to travel after 30 May 2012."
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: Airpoints, Qantas, KrisFlyer, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by kaimanawa
I agree... except NZ doesn't really know how to behave like a LCC. They only know the fee structure.

Look at their entry fares to DPS... a good LCC would have used the sales launch as a marketing promotion, with a few $300 fares thrown in to entice. Instead NZ prices themselves out of the market in an effort to work down the demand curve rather than influence it (JQ Biz cheaper than NZ Works deluxe!).

So I fail to see any reason to go out of my way to fly NZ except compulsion where they have monopolies.

Sayonara NZ... I'm switching to UA or US.
I've been circling the wagons with the cold heart that releases seats over the July school holidays for DPS. Aforesaid person releases 1 seat at a discount but try and book 3 and it goes to the next fare class. Changes during the day with regular monotony. This morning, nothing low cost going over but 2 low cost DPS-WLG on last day of holidays. Nicely, they quote in USD and then convert at a much better rate than if you look as a return booking. Checked again 30 minutes after getting management approval [plan was to go WLG-AKL-PER-DPS by AirNz/VA across] and all gone. Then cold heart had change of heart and released one. So, booked 1 seat at 528 USD [seat plus bag reasoning GE luggage would be enough for three of us], and the other two on separate PNR for wife and daughter at 577 USD. Then the game changed and three 679 one way from WLG-DPS popped up so grabbed then. So return trip all sorted.

Got into MyAirNZ and requested upgrades. Applied 1 of my *GE recognition u/g and one of my wife's *G and 430 standby for daughter going over. Used my wife's other one for coming back. Checked again and both of my recognitions gone [one should still have lurked] then a nice email about bidding war came through. I'm going to gird my loins and ring premium team for a fireside chat.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: QF Gold
If only DJ's airline partners covered East Asia.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:37 pm

Programs: NZ Air Points (Gold Elite), Velocity (Platinum), Emirates (Gold)
I just got the email to me as a Gold Elite, and my reaction was "Holy sh*t! They've killed Airpoints!"

I am so happy that I dumped AirNZ for Virgin. I have 5 international trips booked for this year so far, and they are all booked through Virgin.

I did note that the status upgrades will still be handled separately. However, I doubt these will last for too many years.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:45 pm

This could be the end of G and GE, why pay for business class full fare when you pay for economy and put in for upgrade? You will only get economy SP's but business service for a "few dollars more".
I can see NZ execs syaing this is good we make money on 1/2 full flights by getting a few bucks for business, but now lets reduce the service in business so we can make even more money. Congrats Mr Fyfe you will leave a great legacy behind you and finally the Kiwi that could fly may be looking at losing its wings
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by paintini
I'm going to gird my loins and ring premium team for a fireside chat.
Seems a 'fiery' chat is more in order......
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: NZ*G and a couple of other Silvers.
I'm stuck with Airpoints no matter what they do
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:09 pm

The only positive resolution from here I would think is if GEs could only be outbid by other GEs, Gs could only be outbidded by other Gs and GEs, silvers could only be outbid by other silvers, Gs and GEs.

i.e. 5 available PE seats

Jade bidder #1 bids $500
GE bidder #1 bids $1
GE bidder #2 bids $200
G bidder #1 bids $300
Silver bidder #1 bids $300
Silver bidder #2 bids $200
Jade bidder #2 bids $1000
Jade bidder #3 bids $400
G bidder #2 bids $600

Winner of seats:

Seat 1: GE bidder #2, $200
Seat 2: GE bidder #1, $1
Seat 3: G bidder #2, $600
Seat 4: G bidder #1, $300
Seat 5: Silver bidder #1, $300

GE would still be big losers here, but I think it would be ok for everyone else.

Last edited by Shazzadude; Feb 29, 2012 at 8:16 pm
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:10 pm

Programs: NZ*GE, A3*G, UA Prem, QF, AA
Originally Posted by sdh80
I'm stuck with Airpoints no matter what they do
What about DJ Velocity?

I think you only need 50 NZ domestic sectors to reach gold, not the 80-odd you heroically endured.
Edit: This is only if you pay top $... NZ still monopolise FF credit for discounted fares.

But your point is exactly what's going through the execs minds... "hey, we're a monopoly, we don't need a loyalty programme, so let's turn it into an alternative cash flow!"

Last edited by kaimanawa; Feb 29, 2012 at 8:17 pm Reason: Correcting earlier thought
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:10 pm

Also, how does this affect *A upgrades? Is it possible that the only way to upgrade from Y to J on NZ is by booking it codeshare with another airline?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by kaimanawa
What about DJ Velocity?

I think you only need 50 NZ domestic sectors to reach gold, not the 80-odd you heroically endured.
From memory, they removed the ability to earn on all fares. I don't think you can claim on grabaseat fares (F).... could be wrong
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by brenrox
From memory, they removed the ability to earn on all fares. I don't think you can claim on grabaseat fares (F).... could be wrong
Yes they did, on NZ's request. F class is still accruable on TT routes.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:30 pm

Programs: NZ*GE, A3*G, UA Prem, QF, AA
Originally Posted by deconz
You have the option of paying on a credit card OR with Airpoints
So much for OneSmart.

Why would you go through the trouble of converting cash to APD when you can just pay with cash?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:40 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by Shazzadude
The only positive resolution from here I would think is if GEs could only be outbid by other GEs, Gs could only be outbidded by other Gs and GEs, silvers could only be outbid by other silvers, Gs and GEs.

i.e. 5 available PE seats

Jade bidder #1 bids $500
GE bidder #1 bids $1
GE bidder #2 bids $200
G bidder #1 bids $300
Silver bidder #1 bids $300
Silver bidder #2 bids $200
Jade bidder #2 bids $1000
Jade bidder #3 bids $400
G bidder #2 bids $600

Winner of seats:

Seat 1: GE bidder #2, $200
Seat 2: GE bidder #1, $1
Seat 3: G bidder #2, $600
Seat 4: G bidder #1, $300
Seat 5: Silver bidder #1, $300

GE would still be big losers here, but I think it would be ok for everyone else.
ummmm interesting if that is the case... reading from the email again.... still cannot believe my eyes that they are doing that to air points...

"Your Gold Elite status will be taken into account when your OneUp Upgrade offer is reviewed."

so does it mean that I would still take priority if I only bid $1? whereas a Silver or Jade member might be bidding a few hundreds?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.