Wiki Posts
Search

Air NZ, Koru Club or Star Alliance

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2012, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Jade, Koru Club, Qantas Bronze
Air NZ, Koru Club or Star Alliance

Will be flying AKL : Noumea in and out every two weeks for the next three years (FIFO).
Am already an AirNZ airpoints member (but wife and I only have around 200 points each) and only Air New Zealand and Air New Caledonia make these flights.
Also occasionally fly to Sydney, Melbourne & Wellington.
My requirements are:
a) lounge access (doesn't seem worth it in Noumea - but will be good to have a pre flight breakfast in Auckland)
b) earn enough points to fly my wife over to Noumea now and then - and for us both to go on local trips

Company I'm working for will pay for status - but am trying to work out whether it is best to stick with the airpoints programme, buy Koru Club membership or find another Star Alliance programme that earn me points on the routes I travel. Is it worth joining my wife's and my airpoints together with the Air NZ family option or just gift points when required?

Have never been in a position to earn a decent amount of airpoints before so would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:01 pm

Programs: Asiana Silver (2012), AirNZ Jade
Re: lounge access. Silver only gives you 2 vouchers/entries per the year I think. If you want more you will need Gold. AirNZ's programme uses status points unlike most other FFPs...

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/statu...ealand-flights

You need 900 status points per year.
http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/status-points

If you might not get enough points, not sure but I would like to think that much travel to the islands you should get it. If you don't you could purchase a Koru Club membership or maybe if you have a compatible Platinum credit card a few of them give substantial discounts.

Re: another Star Alliance carrier to get points. Generally you need 50,000 miles per year to get Gold. Or maybe 80,000 over 2 years. But only after you have achieved it be it 1yr or 2yr (maybe sooner if you travel more freq) can you access those lounges .... One of the two carriers which might get Gold easier is Aegean or Asiana. Asiana might not allow economy fares to the Island to get points off AirNZ if you have Economy booking classes V, W, T. Aegean you might want to look up. I would think that if the company is paying you to travel, you should get 1.0 point per mile but some Economy fares only get 0.70 point per mile flown....... and of course some get none (as with the AirNZ programme itself). Not sure how your company works but ... having worked in admin and arranging corporate travel for people, we didn't take care about booking classes at all. If the date and time was suitable we just booked what was the cheapest even though the person may not earn air mileage.

Re: gifting points to your wife
http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/airpoints-gifting

It looks like any members can gift points to people in the SAME household who are not AirNZ members but a $25 cash or APD "admin" fee. For those outside the household you need to be Gold or higher. But I guess if she is not a member she doesn't get the perks if she isn't a member, ie., collecting points herself or access lounge access without you and maybe if you fly together you both get points so that might be double points (together).

Last edited by rayonline; Feb 10, 2012 at 9:25 pm
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
What fare classes do you expect to book into on NZ? Most of NZ's fares do not near frequent flier miles with their partner programs.

I'm personally biased to think that UA MP is quite strong for redemptions, although they're adding a 4 UA metal segment requirement this year that will make it difficult to qualify (potentially) for Gold (as to have *G benefits). If you can get fares that earn at decent rates to A3, it can be a good route for easy *G access to you''ll have lounge access, etc.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:39 pm

If you want freebies forget it with AirNZ. Not sure about the islands. You can always do a search.

For Asia anyway for me, I think I get 80 APD per return trip, like those $1900 fares. I need to fly 12x to get a $899 grab a seat special or 25x to get a $1900 freebie.

I think I might be nice and do some maths and have a chuckle. For the Islands.
If work pays you on economy I guess you might get 15 or 10 APD per one way that you EARN. Business class gets 50 APD per one way.

Not sure how much the avg market price to the Islands are, maybe $500 one way - non specials. You need 33 one way economy fares flown to get one one-way ticket back. Or fly 10x one way business class to get back one one-way economy fare to the islands. But of course you may have rental car, hotel, credit card spending that can assist it.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
What fare classes do you expect to book into on NZ? Most of NZ's fares do not near frequent flier miles with their partner programs.

I'm personally biased to think that UA MP is quite strong for redemptions, although they're adding a 4 UA metal segment requirement this year that will make it difficult to qualify (potentially) for Gold (as to have *G benefits). If you can get fares that earn at decent rates to A3, it can be a good route for easy *G access to you''ll have lounge access, etc.
Yep. When I looked at United, you need a few flights per year with United before you can get (Gold or any) status...... same with Air Canada.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Will fly economy unfortunately. Noumea is more expensive than the other islands - probably due to the low level of traffic.
So UA MP will get me air points on Air NZ & Air NC? Can you buy status on UA?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:55 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
If you fly on the Air Calin flight, even on the NZ code you will not earn anything on any other *A programme.
Unless your work is willing to pay for the higher fare classes on the NZ flights you should keep crediting, at a really pathetic rate, to Airpoints. If willing to pay higher fare than Asiana, US Air or United are good programmes.
Oh until you have status get the Koru Club membership see if your work will pay for it. If not ANZ Platinum Airpoints Visa card as that has a generous discount to Koru Club membership fees.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

I guess I'm not going to the international mystery man I thought I would be ... will probably have to go Koru Club just so I can go to the lounge.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by rayonline
R
Re: gifting points to your wife
http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/airpoints-gifting

It looks like any members can gift points to people in the SAME household who are not AirNZ members but a $25 cash or APD "admin" fee.
Not quite right, you can gift airpoint rewards (like free flight) but NOT airpoints thenmselves.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. Appreciate the prompt feedback. Will go with Koru club and hope to get to Silver or Gold status that will pretty much give me the lounge benefits at least.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 5:30 am

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by rayonline
For Asia anyway for me, I think I get 80 APD per return trip, like those $1900 fares. I need to fly 12x to get a $899 grab a seat special or 25x to get a $1900 freebie.
Wrong. Grabaseat economy fares earn 0 APD, (but they do earn status points).
Old Feb 11, 2012, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Shazzadude
Wrong. Grabaseat economy fares earn 0 APD, (but they do earn status points).
No I meant - that if I flew $1900 to Asia always. I need to fly 12x $1900 fares to get one $899 grab a seat special for free (by redeeming my points).

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/airpo...-february-2012

A $1900 fare my mother booked for tomorrow is a class W fare to HKG. Accordingly to that page it is a Category 3 Economy tier. Which earns 40 APD per one way or 80 APD for the round trip. For me to SPEND my $899 grab a seat special fare (provided I get it and the dates are ok), I need $899/80 = 11.2375 return trips of these $1900 or so fares.

Last edited by rayonline; Feb 11, 2012 at 1:56 pm
Old Feb 11, 2012, 7:34 pm

Programs: NZ - Elite, QF - Gold, Flying Blue - Petroleum Club, SIA - Solitaire PPS, EY- Gold Elite, EK- Gold
Originally Posted by greenbeanhouse
Thanks all. Appreciate the prompt feedback. Will go with Koru club and hope to get to Silver or Gold status that will pretty much give me the lounge benefits at least.
Definitely your best bet is to buy the KC membership. The silver status is pretty much worthless when it comes to lounge access, as you only get 2 free passes, and with the amount of travel you'll be doing you'll want more than that.

Which project? Goro, Koniambo or another?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Goro.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 2:23 am

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Air NZ lowly Jade now, Emirates
my partner bought koru club access last year?? and seriously we have never looked back. it is lovely to just check in at the priority area, and get the priority tags so your luggage comes off early, the nz lounges are comfy, means we can have a wine or breakfast or a nibble whenever we go somewhere and of course he can take me in with him!!! Yay. also you can use partner lounges overseas (eg, we used san fran - not an outstanding lounge but nice and quiet) we both agree it was money well spent and we are not frequent flyers by any means. will keep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.