Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby Domestic Flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2012, 1:37 am

Programs: QF Gold
Well that's an interesting unintended consequence. I once purchased the cheapest full flexi fare available on the day with the pure purpose of changing to a different flight at the airport-such a strategy would be very risky now by the looks of it.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:01 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Shazzadude
Well that's an interesting unintended consequence. I once purchased the cheapest full flexi fare available on the day with the pure purpose of changing to a different flight at the airport-such a strategy would be very risky now by the looks of it.
I wouldn't go so far as to say its risky. Perhaps I was just unlucky.

However, allowing for last minute purchases and flights switches by high fare passengers needs to be taken into account when NZ fills up seats with cheap standby fare passengers, IMO.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:16 am

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
I'd have thought that the standby allocations would be done at the last minute, otherwise it negates on the value of the higher cost fully flexible tickets.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 3:38 am

Programs: NZ*GE
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Snap. I have JQ points run (courtesy of free $100 voucher) in May and have 6 hrs to kill in CHC
International Antarctic Centre FTW!
Old Feb 14, 2012, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Been there done that! Good thought, though.

JQ have changed timings of all 4 sectors, so was able to select a shorter turnaround at CHC.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: NZ*E, DL
I recently flew standby AKLCHC and managed to get on ok but on my return two days later I turned up at CHC airport to find a very long standby queue and a sign saying "No Standby today for the following flights AKL,WLG,NPE,ZQN,DUD,HLZ,ROT.. They said flight loads were prohibitive and no standby were allowed. They could however sell me a $390 CHCAKL flight as there was four seats left. The other option was to fly to PMR and drive which was out of the question. Long story short I paid the $390 as JQ was the same price but I got my SP/AP on NZ. My advise is dont assume the standby fares will be available even on the days/times they say you can try.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 5:28 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Yeah, it definitely pays to keep up with the news if you're going to try this, it was well documented that a lot of flights ex-CHC were cancelled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.